Anyone following Dr Bernstein diabetic solution

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I am contemplating following Dr Bernstein's diabetic solution, and wondering if there are any other following it.

I am already on a LcHf, but what really draws me to his diet plan is the necessity to get fasting BG levels and HbA1c down to around 4.8, in order to eliminate diabetic complications and to keep my few raining insulin beta cells I have for as long as possible (research has demonstrated that beta cell burnout can be slowed or halted by normalizing blood sugars.)

Hardest thing will be the elimination of all fruit. I have about 12g fruit carbs per day, but to get down to 4.8 levels they will have to go.... On a positive side, Dr Bernstein says he has not eaten fruit for 40 years, he is now 80, with no complications.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings one hour after meals under 7.8 in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I've just started out on the LCHF lifestyle ... you're thinking of packing it in!
It's not working then?

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
No, not thinking of stopping LcHf, just enhancing it in line with dr Bernstein's recommendation. Which is LcHf but with quite a few more no-no's / restrictions eg no fruit.

LcHf is most certainly working for me. Dr Bernstein's solution takes it a step further.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings one hour after meals under 7.8 in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Cheers Ian ... had me worried for a moment then.

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry this is completely unrelated but the quote you have Jack,it seems really familiar where is it from?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Sorry this is completely unrelated but the quote you have Jack,it seems really familiar where is it from?
A Leonard Cohen song
Cuppa.gif

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
My sigs are more often than not a line from a song.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I followed Bernstein almost to the letter for a year or so, then modified it slightly according to my likes and dislikes and my meter. I still eat almost no fruit. I don't like any of his puddings - all those jelly things make my skin crawl - and as I don't like beer I've substituted a glass of wine for his beer recommendation. But overall I'd say that six years on I still follow Bernstein, I still accept his definition of normal blood sugar and I still think his solution is the gold standard for diabetics of any type.

Kate

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Thanks Kate.
That's my priority.... to get to his 'Normal' BG levels.
I guess you have a 'low' HbA1c, do you get told off for that by your dsn... I feel I will, they are already suggesting mine is low... At 5.7.... But Bernstein's is another 1 point lower!!

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA. On a LcHf diet taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings one hour after meals under 7.8 in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I've been following Bernstein for around 2 years now. I still haven't got into the 4 % club, last HB1AC was 5% so getting very close. I attempt to keep my blood sugar under 5.5 Mmol at all times, with the odd blip here and there :)

Post meal readings of 7.8 mmol , as you mention in your profile, would be totally unacceptable to me. I exercise strenuously every day by cycling, running or weight lifting. One of the key points Bernstein states is to keep your blood sugar flat lining, i.e. no big post meal spikes. In fact he mentions that after a meal your blood sugar should not rise by more than 10 mg/dl. This only achievable, in my experience, by very low carb (around 30 grams per day) and exercise.

Good luck.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Sorry Ian ... back on topic ....

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Thanks cblake,
I realise I still have some way to go to achieve Bernstein's recommendations, started trying harder 4 weeks ago...Max 6.5 average 5.3. Not sure I can do it without insulin, but I will try.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA. On a LcHf diet taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings one hour after meals under 7.8 in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've been following Bernstein essentials for 12 years. I'm not doing it to the letter, but with a biology degree, I understand the principles. So I do eat carrots, tomatoes and peppers! I tried the Da vinci syrups some ears ago and found them just horrible. If I use a sweetener, I use Erythritol or Xylitol in cooking and Hermesetas in my coffee.
I use fresh whole ingredients. Nothing from packets. I'm still still keeping my Bs around 5 - 6 pretty much all the time with the help of 2 x 500mg Metformin SR.
I eat enough salad to annoy any rabbits and I'm down about 3 stones from where I started a few years back and still trying to get that last 1.5 stones off.
In general, I keep fit and well.
Bernstein WORKS!
Hana

Reactions: 3 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
PS Ithink Bernstein is right that NORMAL blood sugar should be our target.
Hana

Reactions: 5 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Many thanks Hana... Good to know.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA. On a LcHf diet taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as low as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess you have a 'low' HbA1c, do you get told off for that by your dsn... I feel I will, they are already suggesting mine is low... At 5.7.... But Bernstein's is another 1 point lower!!
My DSN is too busy telling me to lower my fat and raise my carbs to bother much about my actual numbers! But since I stopped insulin HCPs have generally stopped worrying about low numbers. Actually all my numbers (fasting, post-prandial and random BG and Hba1c) have started to creep up. To me this is a sign that my insulin production has further deteriorated (as expected with my db type), but my GP airily assures me that, since I'm diabetic, 'anything below 8 is fine'!

The only problem I know of with achieving truly normal bloods is that if you inject insulin you can't drive unless your Hba1c is well above normal. Sad.

Kate