My journey with my new pal Type 2

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Did you get a meter out of them? I've never understood if people are willing to try to help themselves why the NHs wont let them!

Do any of the courses ever feature a diabetic who has made improvements?

I consider being in this group my diabetes education. I feel better than I have in ages

Cara

Reactions: 2 people

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
Saw my new Doc this morning.Hurrah! A lot better than the old one, she was open, informative and all round helpful. Days like this make me feel there is still hope for the NHS. Her only worry was my cholesterol which should be lower. So one more blood sample just to make sure before she put me on statins. She wants me down to the 4 range really. Happy with my current HbA1c but would like to see it down to 54-55 by the next time of my test day with the nurse in July. Now I need to stay strong and keep working on the waistline and keep aiming for that 38"

Nearly fell to temptation when the Memsaab had her 79 birthday and she told me she had too many chocolates. I was strong and thanked her and declined. Sometimes its difficult to explain to family that your not being rude but you've had to change your habits. I broke the rules (a bit) at x-mass but I really don't want to give up my progress. Bless the old dear.

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi

Did you get a meter out of them? I've never understood if people are willing to try to help themselves why the NHs wont let them!

Do any of the courses ever feature a diabetic who has made improvements?

I consider being in this group my diabetes education. I feel better than I have in ages

Cara
Hi Cara,

No meter from them ,lots of reasons why I don't need one though. I can't blame them too much as they are only following guidelines and they are monitored on what they teach. Good job I bought my own soonish after being told I had type two :) They were a bit sniffy about testing high level carbs but its logic to me. I know different things effect me and I've tested them over a period of time not just one offs to off set any advice about bg levels going up and down naturally daily. But over a period and recorded them and reviewed them.

No examples were given of improvements sadly. Just the repeat "there is no cure!" Not very helpful really.

I'm a bit more positive since that day now. Just need to keep it up until my next tests. Little steps day by day.

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well its been a while since I've been on the site so I thought a little update was in order. I went for my 6 monthly test today and hope to have my blood samples results back sometime next week. I've lost 1 1/2 stone (rather surprised it wasn't more) , my blood pressure is down to normal.So fingers crossed that my Cholesterol is down and my HbA1c.

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well just got my results but they are too clear. First as was told all was normal. Not what I asked for and type 2 (while becoming more common in the general population) is normal. The receptionist admitted she doesn't know how to read them.

I got a 4.3 for cholesterol but she couldn't tell me the break down between good and bad. MyHbA1c has come back as 43mmol/mol which I'm guessing is better than my last test in Jan this year at 59mmol/mol.

I think I'll have to pop in next week and get them in writing. I've been dreading going on statins and my (very good) nurse warned me last week if my bad hadn't come down after my diet change it was very likely pills were the next option.

So my next question is what range does 43mmol/mol put me in? I'm guessing at the moment I've got type 2 under control and need to continue to live my new life style until the system packs up in the later stages?

Advice welcome.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done - excellent result.

Your HbA1c puts you just outside the non-diabetic levels and in the pre-diabetic range, so that is excellent.

Non diabetic 20-41 (4%-5.9%) 6.8mmol/l
Diabetics 48 and over (6.5%) 7.8mmol/l

Reactions: 4 people

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Bluetit1802,I've still got a fair bit to go to reach my BMI given by the doctor but the low carding seems to of helped.