Registering as disabled

Fly Fisher

Hi,

have just read that you can register as disabled being diabetic, can anyone out there tell me how to go about it please?

Many thanks, and thanks to those of you who answered my questions re. ankle injury, much appreciated.

Fly fisher.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
You'd be doing well to be considered "disabled" as a T2 on oral meds?

In what way do you think you are disabled? What would you hope to gain from that designation?

There are 3 million diabetics in the UK - almost 5% of the population - if we all went on the benefits, there wouldn't be much left for people with genuine disabilities.

IMHO not being able to eat Chocolate Hobnobs is less of a disability than a sprained ankle.

Grazer

You get registered as disabled if you're disabled. Simples! Being diabetic isn't disabled.

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
There is no longer any such thing as being "Registered Disabled"!

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 outlawed any such register. However, ANY medical condition that affects everyday living adversely, is classed as a "disability". That INCLUDES Diabetes, Addison's Disease (which I also have), Asthma (which I also have) and hundreds of other physical & mental ailments/conditions. "Disabled" does not necessarily mean the loss of/loss of use of limbs, contrary to the popular misconception (I must say that I do feel very sorry for such people).

However, just having a disability does NOT mean that one is automatically entitled to receive benefits such as Disability Living Allowance (D.L.A.) or receive a "Blue Badge" parking permit. Only those who are very seriously impeded in getting about or living a normal life at home, can receive such benefits & they will have to go through a now very rigorous application process first.

If you take MEDICATION for diabetes, you are entitled to a Medical Exemption Certificate (free prescriptions & NHS Eye tests etc.).

You can find out about D.L.A. & other disability related benefits HERE: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/index.htm

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fly Fisher said:
Hi,

have just read that you can register as disabled being diabetic, can anyone out there tell me how to go about it please?

Where did you read this Fly Fisher?

Fly Fisher

HI

IM VERY SOORY THAT THOSE OF YOU OUT THERE CHOSE TO INTERPRET MY QUESTION WITH A VIEW TO MYHAVING AN EASY RIDE BY REGISTERING AS "DISABLED"

IM NOT AFTER A BLUE BADGE, NEITHER DLA ETC ETC, I THINK THE PLACE I SAW THIS FACT WAS IN SOMETHING TO DO WITH EMPLOYMENT, AND EMPLOYERS..
WHEN I EVENTUALLY LOCATE THIS STATEMENT RE. DISABLED I WILL RE POST AND PERHAPS THOSE OF YOU IN THE FORUM WOULD GIVE CONSIDERED RESPONSES TO MY POSTING AND NOT ASSUME IM AFTER SOME FREE BENEFITS.

i WORK FULL TIME OVER 45 HOURS A WEEK AS A PROFESSIONAL MUSCIAN HAVING TO TRAVEL AND REHEARSE/PERFORM WITH A SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA.

I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR RESPONSES. :thumbup:

Reactions: 3 people

Grazer

Fly Fisher said:
GIVE CONSIDERED RESPONSES TO MY POSTING AND NOT ASSUME IM AFTER SOME FREE BENEFITS.

Perhaps it would help if you told us why you want to be registered as such.

Fly Fisher

HAVING HAD A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF TIME OFF WORK WITH SUSPECTED COPD BRONCHIECTASIS ETC THEN TYPE 2 MY EMPLOYERS WERE GETTING TECTCHY ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF TIME ID HAD OFF.
:thumbup:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi FlyFisher, you should tell your employer you are diabetic and as diabetes is covered under the disabilities act you will be entitled to some concessions re time off work for hospital appointments, retinopathy screening etc and your employers are not allowed to discriminate against you due to your condition.

Hope that helps a little, I also have COPD and bronchiectasis which is how I became diabetic due to long term steroid use, but hey ho I'm still here :thumbup:

One last thing could you turn off your caps lock as UPPER CASE writing is considered shouting on line :D

Regards

$id

Fly Fisher

Hi Sid,

thank youso much yours was a sensible reply and i am glad that you took the time tooffer sound advice.

Thanks v v much

fly fisher :thumbup:

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
Fly Fisher said:
HI

IM VERY SOORY THAT THOSE OF YOU OUT THERE CHOSE TO INTERPRET MY QUESTION WITH A VIEW TO MYHAVING AN EASY RIDE BY REGISTERING AS "DISABLED"

IM NOT AFTER A BLUE BADGE, NEITHER DLA ETC ETC, I THINK THE PLACE I SAW THIS FACT WAS IN SOMETHING TO DO WITH EMPLOYMENT, AND EMPLOYERS.. . . . .
I'm sorry if I gave you such impressions; I did NOT mean my response to be taken in such a way.

When I post on forums, I try to take account of the fact that possibly hundreds of people might eventually read the posts. Thus I try to set out facts/information/links to help as many people as possible. So my post was not aimed at any one person at all.

it seems that very few people realise that the term "Registered Disabled" no longer applies; even national newspapers (ie. The Daily Mail) still keep using that term! Unless people (like me) keep trying to set the record straight, they will keep on erroneously repeating it.

Reactions: 2 people

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Fly Fisher, some employers will always get tetchy about taking time off work whether you are classed as disabled or not . The 'rules' say that they have to take it into account but the bottom line is unless you have a very strong union the employer is unlikely to be too concerned . In practical terms anyone taking a lot of time off work, for whatever reason, will give that employer problems like filling the post, eg :- as a musician how does your employer provide cover for you if you are off sick regularily ?

I am disabled , my employers occupational health people say so , my GP says so, the local hospital say so, I also have a blue badge due to moblity problems , I am materially affected by my various health problems , Im lucky my employer is very clued up on this. But I try to minimise any time off due to illness, so much so that my boss worries that I come back too soon . I do not want to be medically retired just yet . It's a tough one trying to get a good balance.

chrissy283

diabetics are exempt from medical expenses, can anybody tell me if you can get an exemption cert from dental treatment also..i have terrible problems with my gums and suffer from loads of toothache, i have spent a small fortune on my teeth which is on going, i am spending all my spare cash on trips to the dentist and its depressing me a lot! thanks in advance

cramper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi everyone I have t2 and get a lot of cramping problems like seizing calf muscles is this common.

C

catherinecherub

Hi cramper, apt name considering your problem.;)

I'll bump your post up for replies as it will get lost on this thread.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I get leg cramps too. I think it's quite common.
Hana

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

have just read that you can register as disabled being diabetic, can anyone out there tell me how to go about it please?.
Hi Fly Fisher,

For the purposes of the Disability Discrimination Act 2010, a disability is defined as "a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities." There's more informationat the govdernment website: https://www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010

If you are disabled, you have certain rights to protect you from discrimination or (to put it another way) to level the field so that your disability doesn't disadvantage you. In terms of employment, the most important are (1) that you can't be turned down for or sacked from a job because of your disability; and (2) your employer has to make "reasonable adjustments in the workplace" for you to manage your disabiliy. For a diabetic, this might include time off or fliexible working for medical appointments and short breaks to test your BG and inject insulin in private. Obviously if you have other conditions as a result of db, eg decreased mobility or vision, they'd need to make more adjustments. Note the word "reasonable": in general law this means not costing much if anything to the employer.

If you mean to inform your employer, it makes sense to work out first which "reasonable adjustments" you need now or are likely to need in future. If you're on insulin, I think you should definitely inform your employer, together with instrucgtions of what to do if you have a hypo.

As others have implied, there is no central register of disabled people for you to apply to: it's a piecemeal business of informing/applying/registering according to context and need. A severely disabled person can end up registering (and going through all the painful details of their disability over again) with multiple central and local goverment agencies, healthcare providers, employers, education providers and charities.

Hope this helps,
Kate

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Fly Fisher, ... as a musician how does your employer provide cover for you if you are off sick regularily ?

Any professional band or orchestra will have a list of deps that they can call on at short notice in the event of the regular musician being unable to play.