pre-proliferative retinopathy

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was recently told I have pre-proliferative retinopathy after my last set of retinal photo’s, I now have an appointment for laser treatment on the 18th of July as I have been told it is affecting the centre of my retina rather than the peripheral area of the retina and needs to be done ASAP anyone have expereance of this any advice

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't mate, but I have had to visit the eye docs for further scans. How are you feeling about it? A bit worried I guess. Those eye docs are generally pretty awesome, they must feel confident.

How are you doing with the diabetes control?

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My control at the moment is zero, not had proper Bg control for years been diagnosed for 17 ½ years first 9 or so diet only then suddenly sugar went through the roof and it’s been that way ever since, tablets have never worked for me, doctor will be put me on something new which works for a few months then it starts to creep up again and I’m back to square one, most of the time it’s in the high teens or low twenties and quite often off the meter so over 34.4, I’m going to try the LCHF diet starting next week see if that helps only found out about it after joining the site

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good on you. It's never too late.

Have a look at www.bloodsugar101.com and the book diet 101. Dr Bernstein's book is also recommended. Many people use the dietdoctor site (must get into that myself). There is a lot to get your head around that's for sure, but every bit of effort you make will contribute to a better outcome in the longer term.

We are all in the same lifeboat and we like to help each other :)

So what is your initial plan?

btw I think another guy has just posted about the same issue - noblehead has posted a good link on there.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My control at the moment is zero, not had proper Bg control for years been diagnosed for 17 ½ years first 9 or so diet only then suddenly sugar went through the roof and it’s been that way ever since, tablets have never worked for me, doctor will be put me on something new which works for a few months then it starts to creep up again and I’m back to square one, most of the time it’s in the high teens or low twenties and quite often off the meter so over 34.4, I’m going to try the LCHF diet starting next week see if that helps only found out about it after joining the site

Just be careful Malcolm when you do start to regain control, sudden tightening up of diabetes with diabetic retinopathy can make the condition much worse, best that you bring your Hba1c down slowly to avoid this happening, speak with your Ophthalmologist about this and your gp if at all unsure.

Good luck!!!!

Reactions: 6 people

Adele99

I've had laser treatment a couple of times over the years due to a couple of bleeds they said could affect my central vision. It's painless though the first time I was slightly nervous at the thought of a laser being used. But it was fine. There can be a tiny amount of visual loss from it, not noticeable unless I try to read with just one eye a small part of the letter is missing. Eg the letter h can look like an n . This is called collateral damage from laser treatment but it doesn't affect my vision in any other way and I don't tend to read with 1 eye closed. Lol.

Hope it all goes well for you on the 18th and you eventually manage to gain some control over your blood sugar levels , it's so important.

Reactions: 3 people

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Adele99 I have spoken to a couple of people since I put the post up who are also diabetic one of them is also a nurse who have had it done which I did not know until I said I had to have it done then it was a case of “oh I’ve had that” my eyes have been the only worry since I was diagnosed as my mother had glaucoma, I’m not bothered about losing toes to the neuropathy I can get an automatic car to drive or have a car adapted but if my eyes go then no driving, as far as the sugar is concerned the Byetta in conjunction with the insulin seems to be working instead of it being up in the high teens low twenties it’s dropped to under 10 had a couple of hypo’s with it but can live with them until my body adjusts to the lower level.
Oh well onwards and upwards as the proctologist said

tiwawane

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was recently told I have pre-proliferative retinopathy after my last set of retinal photo’s, I now have an appointment for laser treatment on the 18th of July as I have been told it is affecting the centre of my retina rather than the peripheral area of the retina and needs to be done ASAP anyone have expereance of this any advice
english is not my language, but I'll try
The best I can tell you because I did, and I am doing it still now. first, make your diabetic test each time you feel a change or you have to eat something and make correct sugar level or and take your insulin. second, by treating the cor, or the foot keratosis deeply for a while all your gland, your skin, your kidney and your eyes will be clean of bad keratin or bad keratinocyte. I use a solution alkaline, I put my foot in it for 30'' and I put some hot water and I crunch as long I have dead skin taking out. I repeat it two times a week and as long as the hard skin is coming back. I should take a long time but your kidney will become better after 3 months.. that's the best treatment for diabetes complication reverse. The only one, and it's work.