Ketone help

sarah1282

Ok so I've been ill all week been on antibiotics not eating much but when I have eaten I didn't need to inject because my levels keep dropping. Weird I know. This morning my levels are 6.3 but I have ketones it says 1.5. So now I'm freaking out. How can I get rid of them myself.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

H

Hooked

WIth normal blood sugar levels, it's nothing to worry about. If you want rid, drink plenty of fluids and have some carbs to eat - and bolus for them. A lot of diabetics have a small level of ketones in their systems in the morning as the body hasn't had any carbs overnight and it's switching to a different fuel. If levels are above normal, ketones are a problem, but with normal levels, don't sweat it.

sarah1282

Thank you. The problem im having right now is if I inject even a little bit of insulin I will hypo like I did about 30 minutes ago. My levels just keep dropping but I have a headache heart palpitations sweating light headed nausea all the symptoms of ketones but low bg levels im confused?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like having at least some carbs may help to reduce any excessive fat burning causing ketosis; you can bolus for just those carbs. Obviously there may be some other cause of the low sugar and ketones but it's not possible for me to help on that and you may need to seek medical help

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ring up A&E a t1 said about low bg and ketones needing treating

My uniformed guess
But your bg isn't that low nor your ketones that high
It may well be nutritional ketones because you haven't eaten rather than the no insulin ketone that leads to dka
Your pancreas seems to be putting out enough insulin to support a very low intake diet and why you could be hypo with added insulin Have you been in honeymoon?

Last edited by a moderator:

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I was alway told by my hosp team that we must be very careful with ketones even if our blood sugars are normal. Keep a close eye and if they keep creeping up, after a few hours of drinking water to try and flush, I would seek further help.

Reactions: 3 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All ketones are the same whatever name you give them.
If you aren't injecting sufficient insulin because of fear of hypos then they may very well rise.. As Riri says keep a close eye on them.
If you are getting low (ie not hypo but lowish for you) then you can drink sips of a sugary drink, I've heard flat (real) coke recommended as being effective
. Even better is to try to take in some carbs with appropriate insulin. This is pretty comprehensive http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/Type-1-diabetes-sick-day-mgmt
If you glucose levels rise then you change the drinks to plain water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people