Honeymoon Ending Help

User4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed type 1 in November last year (aged 34). In February this year my honeymoon phase came on, I didn't even need insulin from February until June (although I probably should have started injecting early june, sugars started to rise again then).
The past few weeks I've been getting a lot more highs, I know the honeymoon isn't fully over so I've been using 10 units of Levemir & injecting novorapid with a carb/insulin ratio of 1 unit to 12 grams.
Well last night I did exactly that and tested my sugars 5 hours later - 13.7. I waited an hour and they were 15, an hour after that 16.5.
I woke up about 5 in the morning and tested - 6.5. Then when I got up at 9 they were 7.5 (I didn't eat or drink when I woke up earlier).
I don't understand what is going on. When my sugars were 16.5 earlier on, I debated a corrective dose of novorapid but I'm glad I didn't because I fear my sugars would have dropped to low in my sleep.
What do I do? This is all a minefield.

User4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot to mention, my sugars are okay after breakfast and lunch. Sometimes a little high (8-9) but usually in the 5 range.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this might be helpful,but i believe that Levemir isn't exactly a flat insulin,it does tend to have a slight spike at night, which would explain some of the wierd readings.
my honeymoon started a couple of weeks ago. it looks like my Lantus jump starts my beta cells into pushing whatever insulin they still have left,out first thing in the morning. i was getting to about 10-10:30 and starting to go into hypo zone. so i've stopped the morning Novarapid for the time being, and its helped alot. and like you i'l be glad when its finished

Reactions: 2 people

User4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this might be helpful,but i believe that Levemir isn't exactly a flat insulin,it does tend to have a slight spike at night, which would explain some of the wierd readings.
my honeymoon started a couple of weeks ago. it looks like my Lantus jump starts my beta cells into pushing whatever insulin they still have left,out first thing in the morning. i was getting to about 10-10:30 and starting to go into hypo zone. so i've stopped the morning Novarapid for the time being, and its helped alot. and like you i'l be glad when its finished

**** right I'll be glad when it's finished :) At least when the honeymoon is over there'll be some degree of uniformity to insulin doses.

Reactions: 2 people