Accu-Chek strips are time limited - advice please re other BT meters

Laddie1997

I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 and am managing it with with diet/exercise. I would like to buy a blood test meter and had decided on the Accu-Chek Aviva Nano, largely because of the Fastclik lancet system. However I have discovered (on Amazon) that each pack of test strips comes with a microchip which limits their shelf life. As I propose to test myself once a week, I am none too happy about having unused strips time-out on me! Does anyone know of an accurate blood test meter, with affordable test strips, that have a reasonably long shelf life?

Many thanks in anticipation...

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Laddie1997, Do what I do and use the FastClik lancets , and use whatever meter you like! I used the Onetouch UltraEasy until I had to fund myself, and moved to the SD CodeFree, keeping the FastClick lancets.

D

Deleted member 83869

I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 and am managing it with with diet/exercise. I would like to buy a blood test meter and had decided on the Accu-Chek Aviva Nano, largely because of the Fastclik lancet system. However I have discovered (on Amazon) that each pack of test strips comes with a microchip which limits their shelf life. As I propose to test myself once a week, I am none too happy about having unused strips time-out on me! Does anyone know of an accurate blood test meter, with affordable test strips, that have a reasonably long shelf life?

Many thanks in anticipation...

I have an accu-chek glucose monitor too! Is it a black chip and is the code 111??x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 and am managing it with with diet/exercise. I would like to buy a blood test meter and had decided on the Accu-Chek Aviva Nano, largely because of the Fastclik lancet system. However I have discovered (on Amazon) that each pack of test strips comes with a microchip which limits their shelf life. As I propose to test myself once a week, I am none too happy about having unused strips time-out on me! Does anyone know of an accurate blood test meter, with affordable test strips, that have a reasonably long shelf life

Once a week would mean you would use a pot of strips within a year, the expiry date on the test strips are usually a year or more away from expiring when you purchase them so you should be fine.

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please be aware that most of the BGM strips have an in use expiry date of 6 months once opened. There are a few meters where the strips are packaged in 25's. so giving you up to a year so long as the expiry date is longer than 1year. They can also be lower cost than than some others.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you can use accuchek strips past the date of expiry.

Aguila

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wind & rain
Easy-peasy! You can fool the meter by changing the date on it to match the test strips.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Sd code free from ebay.

C

chris lowe

I use an Accucheck Aviva and get my strips from e bay but the last lot (fortunately only 1 pot) was 2 months out of date. The chip now has a code of 111 which isn't date sensitive so I can use them. I checked at the local pharmacy and was told that they are told to say don't use them, but they are actually OK to use. I did e mail Accucheck but didn't get a reply.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello all, I thought the reason for the date was to ensure that the strips gave accurate readings each time, so how can they be sure that the levels are correct. Why are lots of people buying the strips, I get mine free from the nhs, via the doctors on prescription, ttfn

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Why waste time measuring if only going to do it once a week you may as well not bother because you wont know what foods are affecting you. If you want to take things in hand test at least one meal /day as in just before food in mouth and 2hrs after and do different food/meals/days build up a database.

Scouser we know how food is affecting us we allow for variations and as a T2 we do not need to be 100% in fact no meter is. And the reason buying their own is because they are T2 and the dr do not generally supply l am lucky l get 1xpot/month the only one as far as l know in our practice to do so but l provide paperwork of exercise/diet/ and general management so they see that l know how to manage and have long discussions when l go and made it clear l will be testing come hell high water and a following wind. l think they do a short supply for those who really want to test 1xpot/yr/1 test/week waste of time and resources.... and as l stated why bother.

Laddie1997

Hello all, I thought the reason for the date was to ensure that the strips gave accurate readings each time, so how can they be sure that the levels are correct. Why are lots of people buying the strips, I get mine free from the nhs, via the doctors on prescription, ttfn
Why waste time measuring if only going to do it once a week you may as well not bother because you wont know what foods are affecting you. If you want to take things in hand test at least one meal /day as in just before food in mouth and 2hrs after and do different food/meals/days build up a database.

Scouser we know how food is affecting us we allow for variations and as a T2 we do not need to be 100% in fact no meter is. And the reason buying their own is because they are T2 and the dr do not generally supply l am lucky l get 1xpot/month the only one as far as l know in our practice to do so but l provide paperwork of exercise/diet/ and general management so they see that l know how to manage and have long discussions when l go and made it clear l will be testing come hell high water and a following wind. l think they do a short supply for those who really want to test 1xpot/yr/1 test/week waste of time and resources.... and as l stated why bother.

Hi guys, Just wanted to thank you all for the useful comments. Have bought an Aviva Nano. And I will be following Scouser's advice re testing. Sorry meant Mud Island Dweller, haven't got the hang of the forum yet. Hope you all ahve a good weekend.