chance?

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i was always wondering why people who are newly diagnose not trying to give themselves a chance to follow a diet for a few weeks.

seriously, i don't think it would kill, and newly diagnose has nothing to lose, except weight.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think it depends how you take the news. I know the first thing I did was get on the internet and search. I then threw myself gung-ho into a low carb diet. I lost 1/2 a stone, I'm not that overweight but could do with losing a couple of stone I stopped smoking and put the weight back on and have kept it on. Some people don't think anything will happen, they don't think its that serious until its too late. But I agree with you - a diet wont kill you but diabetes can end your life earlier than you would like.

Reactions: 4 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was always wondering why people who are newly diagnose not trying to give themselves a chance to follow a diet for a few weeks.

seriously, i don't think it would kill, and newly diagnose has nothing to lose, except weight.
Because of the information most people get about the 'eat well' plate from the professionals who 'know best!' Unless people find sites like this then they continue following the NICE advice!!!

Reactions: 4 people

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
however, even if they were informed about the diet, many would still prefer to listen to the so call professionals.

even here, there are many of the diabetics do not wish to engage on a diet which has no harm trying.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Being newly diagnosed myself, 59 year old male, who apart from a mini stroke some 5/6 years ago had been relatively healthy (I thought) it was a big shock, prescribed Metmorfin immediately 1 x 500 for 2 weeks, then told to raise it upto what I now know is max 4 x 500 per day.

Totally shocked and took the afternoon off work to try to get my head round the diagnosis, sat down with PC and googled all,the information I could find, very quickly found this forum and joined.

Over the next few weeks got as much information as I could didn't take the Metmorfin, got a slight handle on the situation and started posting on here, all,the advice about metformin from majority of members was that it was safe and OK to take.

I had already started on my own version of the LCHF diet and started with the tablets, but decided to,only go upto 2 x 500 per day, this has worked for me so far, BG levels are coming down from the averaged at diagnosis 9.5 to average now self testing of 6.5.

Sorry I have rambled on and got away from the question, but I think most people go into shock on hearing the word DIABETES and are not aware that diet and exercise can offer a good road to take. If I had known year ago what I have learnt in the last 2 months I would never have allowed my self to get overweight and lethargic which has probably led to my condition.

HI HO, hindsight is a wonderful thing, no good looking back have to look forward.

I have most probably mentioned this before, but here we go again, this forum is a wonderful tool for people with diabetes the information and support I have seen and received here is first class and I hope to be able to put something back to the community in due course.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being newly diagnosed myself, 59 year old male, who apart from a mini stroke some 5/6 years ago had been relatively healthy (I thought) it was a big shock, prescribed Metmorfin immediately 1 x 500 for 2 weeks, then told to raise it upto what I now know is max 4 x 500 per day.

Totally shocked and took the afternoon off work to try to get my head round the diagnosis, sat down with PC and googled all,the information I could find, very quickly found this forum and joined.

Over the next few weeks got as much information as I could didn't take the Metmorfin, got a slight handle on the situation and started posting on here, all,the advice about metformin from majority of members was that it was safe and OK to take.

I had already started on my own version of the LCHF diet and started with the tablets, but decided to,only go upto 2 x 500 per day, this has worked for me so far, BG levels are coming down from the averaged at diagnosis 9.5 to average now self testing of 6.5.

Sorry I have rambled on and got away from the question, but I think most people go into shock on hearing the word DIABETES and are not aware that diet and exercise can offer a good road to take. If I had known year ago what I have learnt in the last 2 months I would never have allowed my self to get overweight and lethargic which has probably led to my condition.

HI HO, hindsight is a wonderful thing, no good looking back have to look forward.

I have most probably mentioned this before, but here we go again, this forum is a wonderful tool for people with diabetes the information and support I have seen and received here is first class and I hope to be able to put something back to the community in due course.

Totally agree with your words there John!! Three days after being diagnosed nearly four weeks ago I came on here and cannot stop telling family and workmates what a great place it is and what a difference it has made to my outlook!! Three weeks into lchf and levels down - feeling better and in control, all because of what I learn here!!

Reactions: 2 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with pre diabetes and high cholesterol at the same time. Plenty advise on a low fat diet for the cholesterol, but that tended to put the carbs up as they use the balanced plate approach. I lost a stone in weight which helped for a while but a year or so later the blood sugars were back up and Metformin prescribed. I very much got the impression that it was a steady decline and increased meds were inevitable.

It wasn't until the Metformin had been increased to max dose due to slowly increasing sugar levels and mainly that I could not understand why they kept on increasing, the HCP just seemed to accept it as normal decline, that I ended up here, and following the advise here got a meter ( a meter has never been mentioned in any of my appointments) and started reducing my carbs.

I have only been metering and watching the carbs for 2 months or so and tomorrow is my blood test with my next appointment with the nurse at the end of the month so that is when the truth will come out as to whether it has worked and whether the higher fat content has increased my cholesterol much. For the first time since diagnosis I really want to know what the results will be.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think many people when diagnosed think the Metformin they are given will solve the problem for them, so believe there is no need to alter their eating habits other than cutting out refined sugars, because after all, most people believe it is sweets, cakes, biscuits and sugary drinks that cause diabetes in the first place, so cutting those out and taking a few pills will cure it all. It isn't until their blood sugars don't improve that they ask for help and are then amazed to discover it is carbs that are the culprits, and that it is down to them to control matters, not the Metformin. There is too much reliance on Metformin and not enough information given about how it works and what it does and more importantly, doesn't do.

Personally, my diagnosis came as a total shock, but the very same day I was on the internet researching every little detail, making notes,,keeping a food diary etc. I found this forum and have never looked back. (THANK YOU fellow forumites). I wasn't prescribed any medication, so had nothing to rely on. I knew it was down to me.

Reactions: 8 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think many people when diagnosed think the Metformin they are given will solve the problem for them, so believe there is no need to alter their eating habits other than cutting out refined sugars, because after all, most people believe it is sweets, cakes, biscuits and sugary drinks that cause diabetes in the first place, so cutting those out and taking a few pills will cure it all. It isn't until their blood sugars don't improve that they ask for help and are then amazed to discover it is carbs that are the culprits, and that it is down to them to control matters, not the Metformin. There is too much reliance on Metformin and not enough information given about how it works and what it does and more importantly, doesn't do.

This more or less described my approach after diagnoses years ago. At that time my blood sugars were only a little above normal, so I thought taking the doctor's advice to eat a healthy diet and take the pills was OK. I didn't lose weight, which i know I should have done, but then the doc didn't say it would make much difference, other than saying Metformin would make me lose weight (it didn't). I did switch to a 'healthier' diet - freshly made food, wholemeal bread, pasta, lots of fruit and veg, cutting down on sweet stuff. No-one mentioned carbs. No-one pointed me in the direction of a supporting group like on here. I didn't lose weight, but I didn't gain any - and my BS crept further upwards.

For me I'd say I was part in denial and part uneducated about diabetes. I didn't want diabetes, so I ignored it a lot. I was able to research it myself, but didn't. As to why I did that, who knows? I manage to be good at my job, be happy in my life and be a little bit self-destructive when it comes to my health. There are probably deep reasons, but I can't/don't want to open that can of worms.

Anyway, I think health professionals do not point newly diagnosed diabetics in the right directions. I think the power of a support group is remarkable. Coming on here, seeing how others have changed their lifestyles, adapted their diets, lost weight, controlled blood sugars, struggled, fallen, got back up - well, it all gives me strength and determination in an area I've never had any before.

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree but the HCPs often give no advice or refer you to a useless dietician with an appointment months away. My diabetes GP scrabbled around and picked some photo-copied diet sheets off the floor which were useless and wrong of course. I was later given a booklet produced by my local hospital trust with the usual advice to eat plenty of carbs. It is so difficult for people to get good diet advice which is why we hope they find this forum early on.

Reactions: 3 people

Emerald14

I am so glad I found this forum early. ( next day) I can only thank you all for all the info I keep learning through the various post I read daily. I've currently lost 15lb since the beginning of June on the LCHF and can say I feel less tired and more energy.
Problem seems to be if I eat really well and go to bed with blood sugars in the 5s, fasting morning reading is usually around the 6.6 - 6.8. Yesterday evening meal I had full roast beef dinner with one square of 81% lidl choc. Two hours later it was 8.6. Last thing 6.8. This morning however, it's 5.4. I know it's perhaps the dawn phenomenon but am I healthier with higher readings going to bed and lower in morning? Or lower in evenings and higher 6s in the morning? This is perhaps a common thing with everyone, am still learning but wondered if anyone had any advice.
Thanks.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!

Yet another assumption that all T2s are overweight. Brilliant.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed last November I had heard of it but didn't know much about it. I was just told to stop eating sugar and sweets and given a prescription for metformin. And then I found this site and really learned all about it. I couldn't tolerate the metformin so in the end stopped them and kept my BS levels to near non diabetic and at my 6 month check was told I was doing fine. At the start it was just a diagnosis, a name, and didn't mean much, it wasn't until I read on this site what could happen if I didn't take it seriously that I really understood, and immediately bought a meter!

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
when i was diagnose, i met a good doctor who i did not follow up.(too costly). i was immediately put on metformin 2x2times 250mg per day,

i went on a lchf diet and lost 5kg in a week and bg comes down to 4.6 from 10.4. the dosage down to 250
Yet another assumption that all T2s are overweight. Brilliant.

ok it is not about your BMI. its the glycogen fats in your liver which spread to the pancreas. you can have a good bmi but it does not mean that you dun have fatty liver. by restricting the carb input the body will use the fats from the liver as the first source of energy, clearing those storage fats will improve the body ability to correspond to the hormone level.

when the body is used to high level of insulin lvl prior to the onset. the sudden drop of carb will invoke the body into a withdrawal symptom. the body could also sees a better respond to leptin.

glycogen is essential for body to provide energy over a night sleep. excess glycogen will be stored in the liver for reserve, over reserve will decrease the livers sensitivity toward insulin, at the same time develop fatty liver.