Blood pressure tablets are they good or not

pipwizard

Ok I've been on lisinoprol for just over 10 months and since October I've had a very bad cough it's like a hacking cough. I do have other things going on but I'll get to that lol basically what I'd like to know is how many off you are on bp tabs for no reason just because were diabectic. I have a appointment with my doc on Monday to take me off ... Why well my friend a young doctor got talking to me and I started to cry as I'm so unwell in myself due to this dam cough and he went through all my tablets and as soon as I told him I was on bp tabs he told me it was them. I'm like na can't be my belly is fine well if a tablet is ok with my belly I'm ok with taking it, never thought I'd get other side effects lol. Anyway I'm get two serious ones ie arthritis is worse depression which I never had also memory is bad I get a few others to when I looked on the list of side effects I was gob smacked sooooo I'm asking dose any one else have probs have you come of , or wat others did you go on I'd rather just be totaly strict and loose this weight quicker etc please help I need other story's I'm sure there are xxxxxxx oh I'm type2

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I assume that your bp was a bit on the high-side or borderline and that was the reason why they started you on bp meds Pipwizard.

As we all know high bp can put a strain on organs such as the kidneys and heart and this is why they are keen for people with diabetics to keep their bp below the recommended levels, we are already at a heightened risk of a heart attack, stroke & Kidney disease (nephropathy) so it's important to keep a close eye on it and have it checked on a regular basis.

The cough is a common side-effect and you should discuss alternative drugs with your gp, I've been on Ramipril for several years now without any problems although some say they get the cough taking this med, so to answer your question my answer would Yes as they do what they are meant to do, that is lower bp and lower the risks.

There's other ways in which you can lower bp as well, a reduction in weight, getting fitter by exercising more and including foods that are known to be helpful in lowering bp, however depending on the circumstances sometimes this isn't enough and so meds are necessary unfortunately.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had high blood pressure for a few years and was originally given ramipril but had to go back to the drs as they made me feel strange like id been drinking he changed me on to candestartin and I have had no trouble with them,
Unfortunately drugs affect different people in different ways I have had no problem with Metformin but it seems that a lot do.
Have a word with your drs pipwizard and tell them your concerns and meanwhile there's plenty of good advice here and people willing to listen if you need to talk.

Dee_226

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Bendroflumethiazide (water tablets) and Losartan (which has just been reduced) for my BP and haven't had any side effects from either.

If you do have a problem with a drug for any reason then do not hesitate to talk to the chemist/pharmacist or doctor.

Hugs,

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother was on Lizinopril, and she had too come off them as it made her feel so ill. It was dropping her blood pressure too much. She is on Attenolol but they had to half the dose as one of the side effects was an increase of blood sugar levels! They now have put her on perindopril, but although she doesn't feel I'll with them, it has gave her a cough as well, but she didn't have a cough with the Lizinopril

debbiiee

Ramipril, Perindopril, lisinopril all belong to a class of drugs named ACE inhibitors. Cough is the most common adverse effect of these drugs, sometimes intolerable too:( sometimes these drugs are prescribed even for those diabetics who are not hypertensive, because it is known to prevent nephropathy & delay the progress if u have nephropathy. Check ur reports if u have microalbuminurea. It indicates mild kidney damage that is reversible & ACE inhibitors help for this...

Lindakp

Dislikes
Rude people. Drivers who cling to my bumper when I am observing speed limits!!
Ok I've been on lisinoprol for just over 10 months and since October I've had a very bad cough it's like a hacking cough. I do have other things going on but I'll get to that lol basically what I'd like to know is how many off you are on bp tabs for no reason just because were diabectic. I have a appointment with my doc on Monday to take me off ... Why well my friend a young doctor got talking to me and I started to cry as I'm so unwell in myself due to this dam cough and he went through all my tablets and as soon as I told him I was on bp tabs he told me it was them. I'm like na can't be my belly is fine well if a tablet is ok with my belly I'm ok with taking it, never thought I'd get other side effects lol. Anyway I'm get two serious ones ie arthritis is worse depression which I never had also memory is bad I get a few others to when I looked on the list of side effects I was gob smacked sooooo I'm asking dose any one else have probs have you come of , or wat others did you go on I'd rather just be totaly strict and loose this weight quicker etc please help I need other story's I'm sure there are xxxxxxx oh I'm type2

They had the same effect on me. I am now on Losartan- no problems. Your GP should have informed you that Lisinoprol could cause a cough. Mine did!

pipwizard

Ha I've also been put on losartan potassium had to come of them my bp went far way to low think the lowest was 90 /88 lol was not feeling very well also my sorry guys and girls but my belly was going through it to like water not nice I phoned up my docs and I couldn't get a blooming appointment but the chemist said it was to sever to keep on them . Um who said bout metformin lol I was bad but it seemed to settle after 3 years yes peeps 3 years but going back to bp it was 138 / 88 normal for a non diabectic but not good for me sob but I'm keeping eye on bp as I have my own device , I'm trying to make an appointment with my diabectic nurse sorry for late reply peeps realy not well lol but thanks all for getting back big hugs and the list I'm taking to my docs sod the cost they either put me on more exspencive ones or not at all oh who said exercise and weight loss as doing both now wasn't but am now also since becoming one I've lost 11st yes you read right lol still a lot to go bout 8 st more but being 6ft it's not very noticeable xxxxxx

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
BP meds are very good if you have high BP ! I'm not a believer in being put on meds "for preventative purposes" as they all have side effects of some sort. However, the dangers of High Blood pressure far outweighs these.

G4WIL

I am on Lisinopril. 10 mg ever since my heart attack . I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic a couple of years later. Could be some truth in iisinopril raising blood sugar levels.
I have no obvious problems from taking this medication .
John W.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on BP tabs for a lot longer than diabetic meds - since I was 27, the same age as I began my first year of teaching!

I'm fine on Ramipril. I did have a tiny tickling cough for a while, but just after I actually mentioned it to my GP and she had an ECG done on me in case it was heart related - well bow me, but the cough just went!

However, I was on Olmesartan for a while and they were awful for me. I felt like I had permanent pins and needles over my scalp.

Timmytoes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on various beta blockers for years and suddenly broke out in great patches of psoriasis. The beta blockers were changed for ramipril
and my skin is clear now. I was also taking the smallest dose of Bendroflumethiazide which has now been (recently) stopped as it is affecting my kidneys, consequently, my BP is rising and I am due at the Docs tomorrow to get that sorted. this all started because I have horrendous white coat syndrome and I have to read my own BP at home but I know it still winds me up. I felt a different person when the Beta blockers were stopped, I felt like me again! What can you do I am on my own and I do not want to Finish up with a stroke!!
Timmytoes at 21.49

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tim, you should show your gp your home bp readings if they are much lower than the one's taken in their surgery, I too get a touch of White Coat Syndrome so monitor my own bp levels at home, I then give them to my consultant when I attend the diabetes clinic.

michaelho

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As a pharmacist and a type 2 diabetic, you need to learn more about your medications! The family of 'ACE Inhibitors' ie like all drugs with ending of 'april' can cause a cough. Different drugs within the family cause different levels of cough. Even if you have a cough with one sort, you can change to another and be OK. However when you have 'the cough' you know about it. Having also run a B&B I've observed guests who had a persistent dry cough every 20 seconds or so. I'd ask them "are you taken tablets for high blood pressure"? And they'd say "YES". And I would advise them to return to their doctor and ask for a change of medication. They would telephone me later and say " the cough has gone and thank you very much". So I think there may be a lack of information being given to patients from GP's. However, remember high blood pressure is a silent killer, so it's important to keep taking them (or an alternative) to reduce it. Don't just stop. Talk to your pharmacist or doctor!

Timmytoes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have seen the Doc this morning and have been told to double up on my dose of Ramipril bringing it to 5mg. It has also been strongly suggested
that I should wear their 12 hour ambulatory BP cuff. I did point out that the simple fact that I know I am wearing it will raise my BP level. However everything else was fine and I have somehow managed to get my HbAc1 from 6.7 to 6.3. Feeling chuffed about that and every thing else was moving in the right direction.
Diagnosed 12 months ago.