Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

Peachypuff72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being woken up early :(
That is SO funny!:D

"So, Peachypuff, what have you eaten today ?"

"Breakfast - one "Good Girl" foil - 10g carb
Lunch - Felix Crunchies , 1 cup - 15g carb
Snack - one medium sized mouse, approx 4g carb
Dinner - Whiskas Salmon Supreme - 1 400g tin - 15g carb"

Bet your fur and claws would be in prime condition though!:D

Signy

Hahaha! I'm in hysterics. I had dreamies as a snack too. Xx

Reactions: 2 people

Matilda14919

Right ...so that's the way to become a believer - out of fear, or in hope of a favour from the divine !:eek:

A fervent new - age "friend " once gave me a book that she thought would be helpful, in which the author stated that "people have diabetes because they will not acknowledge the sweetness of their lives...and if they cultivated an attitude of love and light to all, they would cure themselves "

Grumpy mare ? Me....? :grumpy::D

Signy

I've had someone give me a book on how to cure diabetes threw it in the bin immediately

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From my husband when I told him about my diagnosis as T2 and said I don't have to inject insulin: "Oh that's all right then!"
And having been told by him I was on a low carb diet and didn't want to eat very sweet sugary fruit: "Do you want some dates?"

From my diabetic nurse during my initial discussion on diet with her - I should dilute my glass of orange juice (which my doctor said I was to avoid completely), and that I should avoid sugary fruit, but it was perfectly OK to eat raisins!

But my favourite family comment was to my sister in law by her very overweight daughter, when she told her I was a bit concerned that she might end up with diabetes like me if she didn't lose some weight: "But they checked me for diabetes when I was pregnant and told me I didn't have it"!

From this thread the two that really tickled me are the diabetic cat comment and the one about not going to church being the cause.

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My nhs podiatrist in Wales said I must have been a really bad person in my previous life and would have been given a book of illnesses to choose 5 from... As I was on number 4 illness at the time, this was not helpful!! She went on to say I must learn my lessons in this life for my next life to be improved!!

I was sat having feet treated at the time and couldn't just walk out!!!

Thank goodness I have my brain screwed on, otherwise I would have been waiting for no 5 to finish me off!!!

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My nhs podiatrist in Wales said I must have been a really bad person in my previous life and would have been given a book of illnesses to choose 5 from... As I was on number 4 illness at the time, this was not helpful!! She went on to say I must learn my lessons in this life for my next life to be improved!!

You would expect wouldn't you that those trained to look after often seriously ill and fragile people to have a minimum of training on the tact front - enough at least to enable them to avoid the foot in mouth position! I think sometimes our medical people can be quite thoughtless, tactless and or rude - two non diabetic instances come to mind - some years back my GP suggested that I went to see one of the practice nurses about exercise classes as I was slightly overweight, and at one point in the discussion the nurse said to me "Don't you care what you look like?" - I was so gobsmacked and was left so speechless that I couldn't reply. Needless to say I never attended her blasted classes...

The other was a bit more seriously stupid remark by the young lady eye registrar at our local eye hospital when I had both a very bad case of iritis and other damage to one eye, and was in considerable pain and completely light phobic; I'd been attending their emergency eye clinic frequently for a couple of weeks after being signed off work by my rather concerned GP, and asked this woman if she could sign me off for longer, and her reply was "There's absolutely nothing wrong with you and no reason why you shouldn't be at work..." My GP signed me back off. To give her some credit, she did eventually apologise after I'd practically had to take up residence there... I have to say though that most of the doctors I saw were kindness themselves - and 99% were of eastern origin.

Robbity

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I fortunately am not a vulnerable adult, the thing that worried me is that the majority of people that go to a podiatrist have a health problem.. And some may have mental health issues too, and they would come away with anxiety and depression after such comments.

I was told to report this incident, but I had enough turmoil going on at the time and would not have coped with more!!

Reactions: 3 people

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I once went to a homeopath who used to be a nurse. When I told him I had diabetes he said it was like having an axe over my head. I had the same thoughts as above, if that were said to a vulnerable person it could feel devastating.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I once went to a homeopath who used to be a nurse. When I told him I had diabetes he said it was like having an axe over my head. I had the same thoughts as above, if that were said to a vulnerable person it could feel devastating.

Sounds like they were lucky not to get an axe IN theirs !

Idiots!

Signy

Reactions: 10 people

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Not to me but a friend

A PUMP, does that help your heart also ?

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yesterday.. From a neighbour... "Theres a new wonder tablet you (type 1) can take that completely lioks after your blood and no need to inject or pump".... "Google it""

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Photographs x 3 of book in rubbish bin.....
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1402852512.075916.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1402852535.796448.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1402852569.880540.jpg

Ok, its been around at least 10 years.. But decided today its a load of ribbish.. Excuse photos of the inside of my rubbish bin!!

Reactions: 16 people

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The best one is 'you don't look like a diabetic' ?!!
Had that one a few times, even by a nurse at a Diabetic Clinic. Recently told I don't look like a 59 year old diabetic by my cardiologist!

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hahaha.... Think I've had most of these already, and I'm "new"...! :D

- my 'favourites' have been;

....whilst I was eating a handful of almonds (to be low carb): "should you be eating those - they have a lot of calories in" - whilst looking me up and down.

... "have you been enjoying yourself too much" - in response to me saying I thought I was coming out of my honeymoon period and might need insulin soon.

... "oh, you have the bad kind then" - lots of you have had this one ;-)

.... "yea, but if you just do some exercise you'll be fine won't you" - again, another fav it seems!

- I recently saw this - SO BUYING ONE! Think it's hilarious / genius! :)
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/182426647/type-1-diabetes-stainless-yes-i-can-eat

Reactions: 12 people

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
At the foot clinic last week, ....." your feet are healthier than a non diabetics feet" better we all be diabetic then and have healthy feet... lol

And another ... well you can have lots of fruit and fruit juice, because that's natural sugar.....?????? worst of all it was a T2 telling me this,, sad that they couldn't grasp that carbs are carbs,

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
Great thread by the way
;)

User4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1. I was in hospital getting an ulcer on my foot looked at, they gave me food so I checked my sugars. The old man in the bed opposite piped up loudly, "You don't need to worry about what the numbers say on that thing!"

Turns out (from overhearing his consultation) that he was a long time type 2 and by not "worrying about the numbers on that thing" he'd pretty much f*cked up his body.
Yeah, great advice - The more you know.