Metformin side effects

nicki257

Hi I was diagnosed as Type 2 about a month ago. I have been put on Metformin 1 tablet a day now increased to 1 twice a day. Has anyone else struggled with diarrhoea? Also does anyone else suffer from a dry mouth especially at. Isn't? I think I must had woken up at least ten times last night to have a drink due to my dry mouth! Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was diagnosed as Type 2 about a month ago. I have been put on Metformin 1 tablet a day now increased to 1 twice a day. Has anyone else struggled with diarrhoea? Also does anyone else suffer from a dry mouth especially at. Isn't? I think I must had woken up at least ten times last night to have a drink due to my dry mouth! Thanks

Many people suffer from diarrhoea when they take Metformin but less suffer if they can be prescribed slow release (SR) Metformin. Although I was prescribed it from the start I hear that lots of other people get the standard Metformin and have to ask for the SR version.

Apart from that, if your side effects are unacceptable then go back to your nurse/ doctor and tell them you cannot carry on like this.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with the Squire. I was lucky to have been prescribed SR from the start. There are many posts on this forum from sufferers using the plain version. It's a bit cheaper but of course a repeat visit to the Dr to get the SR version makes it more expensive overall. Isn't the NHS great..

Reactions: 2 people

Katchoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you're still having problems after a month, definitely ask to be given SR Metformin. I had the same issue and tolerated it for three months. Since going on Slow Release I've had hardly any issues at all. I never had a dry mouth though.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Everyone reacts different, I was on the EX version for a time but still had side effects so I just said for get it its not worth the loss of employment (cost me more then one job) there are other's on the market that do similar jobs but nun the seem to have the trials and complications that met does.

stuartkneen

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other

Hey one of my friend has diabetes 2 and is on Metformin...she experienced weakness and some sort of stomach pain...when she started with Metformin initially.

A

AnnieC

My husband who is newly diagnosed T2 was told by his doctor to gradually increase his dosage of Metfomin by one tablet every two weeks over 8 weeks when he will then be on 2000mg a day he has not had any trouble with diarrhoea but I am not sure if he is on the slow release tablets

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi! I was diagnosed and put on metformin four weeks ago too, suffered with the tummy problems and felt really shocking! Asked about slow release after a week but got swapped to dapagliflozin instead and it's suiting me very well!! Feel so much more alive and combined with lchf have already decreased my levels!

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband who is newly diagnosed T2 was told by his doctor to gradually increase his dosage of Metfomin by one tablet every two weeks over 8 weeks when he will then be on 2000mg a day he has not had any trouble with diarrhoea but I am not sure if he is on the slow release tablets

I have been on Metformin SR since December 2013 and have not had any of the difficult symptoms often associated with it. Like @AnnieC 's husband I was advised to build gradually up to 2000mg a day which I'm still on, with no ill-effect. I was carefully monitored in the early days by both my DN and the pharmacist who both seemed surprised that I'd tolerated it so well. I have noticed dry mouth though which I hadn't connected to the medication and have found the Boots Expert Dental dry mouth spray helpful.

mcdonagh47

Hi there,

You should not have been prescribed Metformin immediately on diagnosis. Both Diabetes UK and NICE Guidelines on T2 state that a new T2 should have a trial period of 3 to 6 months on "Diet and Exercise". This is so that they understand the absolute necessity for Lifestyle and Diet changes before relying on a pill as a prop.
Having said that, there is no Programme of Diet and Exercise for new T2s - its just a vacuous phrase they come out with. And since many new T2s are denied meters and test strips they have very little chance of finding out which carbs and which portion sizes cause them problems.
Sounds like you have got another GP who doesn't know much about the management of T2 Diabetes and just reaches for his prescription pad.
Have you been given a prescription for test strips or have you been told the insane stuff about "not needing to test" ?

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its exactly what happened to me- along with being told no need to test etc, when going back to have meds changed and armed with my levels from testing and saying i was doing lchf- the response i got was i was being harsh (less than 50gm carbs per day) and i should have a fist-full of carbs every meal!! Think my recent waking up 5's and mid 6's after eating beg to differ!!

bob2025

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes - may it burn in hell !!!
Pointless clock change back to GMT - too dark
Politicians and other petty administrators
Hi I was diagnosed on the 20th June, with a reading of 17.But I was leaving for a holiday and got back on meet the nurse on the7th July picking up my test kit and immediately tested at 15. Not that surprising as I was drinking wine and stuffing my face whilst on holiday.

Having taken one tablet a day whilst on holiday. I then went on to two a day was tested again and it went to 14 and then back to 15.
So my nurse put on on 3 a day. One in morning and two at night.
My nurse is now also away on holiday. She has been very helpful and I am coming to terms with T2 (even getting the jargon now).

My stomach was really upset and I felt sick. I now have a constant headache. Not sure if its the T2 or the stress of the diagnosis?
The answer appears not be not cutting out sugar but it appears to be a combination of factors salt, sugar,cards and how much of each.
Does anyone else get the headaches?

So I went for low carbs and low sugar. Eating porridge, banana, prawns, salad (of course) my next reading was down to a GC of 10. And it will get lower. Would like to get it down to 5 as soon as possible.

I am about 10 pounds overweight, so I have managed to loose 3lbs in two weeks.
Getting fitness plan together with my wife and two daughters - they are being very supportive. Despite my best efforts.

The nurse said that I might be a T1.5 - not sure what that means. So i'll have a read through the website.
They did mention that I was tested at 5.4 in 2005 - felt gutted.

Any tips /hints much appreciated.

bob2025

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi there,

You should not have been prescribed Metformin immediately on diagnosis. Both Diabetes UK and NICE Guidelines on T2 state that a new T2 should have a trial period of 3 to 6 months on "Diet and Exercise". This is so that they understand the absolute necessity for Lifestyle and Diet changes before relying on a pill as a prop.
Having said that, there is no Programme of Diet and Exercise for new T2s - its just a vacuous phrase they come out with. And since many new T2s are denied meters and test strips they have very little chance of finding out which carbs and which portion sizes cause them problems.
Sounds like you have got another GP who doesn't know much about the management of T2 Diabetes and just reaches for his prescription pad.
Have you been given a prescription for test strips or have you been told the insane stuff about "not needing to test" ?
Hi - I was put on Metformin at one tablet a day with a reading of 17, then two 2 tablets now 3 a day. - I wont be seeing the dietitian for another two weeks and have appointment to see the podiatrist the same day. Been checking this website and diabetic diets books.
Got the reading down to 10 now. But its all a bit surreal. All seems a bit hir and miss.

mcdonagh47

Hi - I was put on Metformin at one tablet a day with a reading of 17, then two 2 tablets now 3 a day. - I wont be seeing the dietitian for another two weeks and have appointment to see the podiatrist the same day. Been checking this website and diabetic diets books.
Got the reading down to 10 now. But its all a bit surreal. All seems a bit hir and miss.

Hi Bob,

Here below is a basic starter kit for new T2s in three easy posts .

The first is Jennifer's Smart Advice on how to establish what foods cause your bgs to rise.

The second, from an Australian Type 2 Guru, Alan S, suggests sensible practical steps based on Jennifer's advice.

The third is Maggie Davey's "Open Letter to a Newly Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic". A basic outline of one T2 got into shape ...

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.co.uk/200 ... djust.html

http://www.sequin.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ ... penlet.pdf

After reading and digesting those you might consider getting the book called "Type 2 Diabetes ; The First Year" by
Gretchen Becker ( ISBN 1-84119-8084-8 )

bob2025

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Many thanks ,mcdonagh47
I'll read through the materials.
Of course, I'll be checking the forums on a regular basis.

I am coming to terms with the situation and I am getting fantastic support from my wife, daughters and friends.

But one really big problem I do have is that I am needle-phobic. Since multiple nasty incidents in childhood.
I was banned from our dentist and sent to hospital for a general atheistic for anything requiring a jab.
When attempting the Glucose test I am not allowed to use the n@@dle work. Does help a bit.
Of course you hardly notice it and I am so eager to find out my levels each day.
It's really really holding me back.
It's not a pain thing - it doesn't hurt.
its the hardest thing to control in my life right now - feel pretty stupid about and I have no choice but to keep going.

Many thanks for your help.

peter1952

I was told originally to take Metformine (1g) morning and night BEFORE meals and suffered for more than a year with diarrhoea. I then had a meeting with my diabetician and she said that Metformine should be taken AFTER eating, not BEFOR as this will cause diarrhoea. Shriek!!!

After changing to taking my medication after eating I have had no more problems.

Hope this helps.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather

I take just one metforimin a day in the mornings but never suffered with diarrhoea but do suffer with dry mouth if wake up in the night, always take a sip of water, or just rinse mouthy out with water.

birmingham22c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take just one metforimin a day in the mornings but never suffered with diarrhoea but do suffer with dry mouth if wake up in the night, always take a sip of water, or just rinse mouthy out with water.
I take 3 x 500mg tablets of metformin and the ONLY time I suffer with diarrhoea is when I take a tablet without food. If I take with food no problems. With regard the dry mouth I drink 500 mls of water before retiring to bed and do not have any issue with a dry throat