I'm getting very confused...

calumcco

OK just briefly my most recent fasting test gave a reading of 7.3mmo/l. I also had an HbA1c test done with the fasting test but that came back with a very healthy level of 27mmo/l. I am very confused... Why is the fasting result indicative of diabetes whereas the 3 month HbA1c test suggest completely the opposite??? My GP is baffled and wants to seek clinical advice!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting blood glucose tests are not generally reliable. This is because when our bodies are in starvation mode after fasting all night our livers dump glucose into our system to keep us going until we eat again. This makes the fasting tests unreliable and is why they are not generally used for diagnostic purposes. Your HbA1c is brilliant!

calumcco

Fasting blood glucose tests are not generally reliable. This is because when our bodies are in starvation mode after fasting all night our livers dump glucose into our system to keep us going until we eat again. This makes the fasting tests unreliable and is why they are not generally used for diagnostic purposes. Your HbA1c is brilliant!

I know, I was very relieved to have such a good level !

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I would agree about the "fasting test". I was ordered to take an OGTT earlier this year! The figures they came back with was : Fasting 7.0, @ 2 hrs 5.0
My records (via finger pricks) was :
On waking 5.2 (2.5 hours before appt)
After ~ 1 hr on bus & walks to hospital/ just before OGTT :6.9
At ~2hrs conclusion of OGTT 5.1
probably my "Fasting" value was due to a "liver dump" due to falling BG after getting to appt!
Interestingly Rochdale Inf. was the only place that could do the OGTT, not GP, Not local health hub, not own hospital (Fairfield/Bury)
my own figures showed that I peaked @ 10.1 @~55minutes!
Told consultant beforehand what it would show but he insisted on wasting my time & NHS money & resources:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, fasting tests are not much use. The HBa1C readings are a very good guide but, of course, don't highlight spikes which the 2 hour post-meal meter test will show up.

calumcco

Yes, fasting tests are not much use. The HBa1C readings are a very good guide but, of course, don't highlight spikes which the 2 hour post-meal meter test will show up.
I have never had that test! I have been sent for a repeat Glucose Fasting and HbA1c test!