Latitude Festival

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going up to Latitude fest. on Thursday and unsure on how to keep insulin cool? I'm staying for the full weekend, i.e. about 4 days, and I'm on an insulin pump. The weather forecast for the weekend is really **** hot, there's meant to be a heatwave aka 25-32 degrees. So, any suggestions? The best idea I've heard so far is keeping it in a flask in a flannel, but not too sure? Well, suggestions would be welcomed :)

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Frio wallets which many of us use to keep our pens cool are also available for pumps.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I really doubt your insulin will go off in a few days, if that is what your concern is. I believe it takes more than a few days for it to lose its potency if not stored in the fridge. I believe it can last four weeks out of a fridge.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The insulin will be fine for a few days of hot weather. Be ready to reduce levels due to increased sensitivity. Enjoy festival.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phil55494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It does all depend on how hot it gets. It can end up very hot inside a car or tent. Keeping the insulin inside a frio pack seems better to me than risking it going off.
Because the frio packs work by evaporation they do need some air circulation around them - don't stick it in a plastic bag and expect it to work.
As for the insulin in the pump I wouldn't worry about that.
Enjoy, Latitude is one I'd like to get to :)

femme2711

Just wanted to point out- you don't keep the insulin in your pump 'cool' so it shouldn't denature and become inactive. Most pumps hold insulin in their reservoirs for 3 days so I would change it on the morning you go and then change it as usual.

I'm in the pump and I've been told by the Roche rep and my Diabetic nurse that I keep the bikes I'm not using and that are unopened in the fridge but once I use a vile and it's open it doesn't stay in e fridge but at room temp. This doesn't stop it working, but does help to prevent air bubbles in your reservoir as there are no changes to volume when the liquid cools as it's already at room temp.

Hope this helps don't worry- as I say thinking logically your pump isn't refrigerated and the insulin still works!

Enjoy!

Reactions: 2 people