Poll - side effects from statins?

If you have used statins, did you experience significant side effects from using them?

• Total voters

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I was whizzed into hospital one night tight chest light headed high sugars ... 29 ... thought I was on the verge ofa heart attack.
Two different doctors told me I was showing signs of adverse reactions ... yes with an s ... to statins and this was the second time according to their notes ... the reason I'd virtually collapsed three months earlier!
They said stop taking them ... tell your doctor no more.
Tried three or four different ones.
Not had any for about a year now.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I was whizzed into hospital one night tight chest light headed high sugars ... 29 ... thought I was on the verge ofa heart attack.
Two different doctors told me I was showing signs of adverse reactions ... yes with an s ... to statins and this was the second time according to their notes ... the reason I'd virtually collapsed three months earlier!
They said stop taking them ... tell your doctor no more.
Tried three or four different ones.
Not had any for about a year now.

That's scary! Seeing doctor next week, so will discuss this with her! I hope you are well, and that your sugars are much lower now.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
That's scary! Seeing doctor next week, so will discuss this with her! I hope you are well, and that your sugars are much lower now.
Yeah I'm not to bad now on the diabetic front but my back!!!!!
My back is killing me .... causing me a lot of pain and problems.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@paulins
I have had statins for several years. Don't like them, but the only thing that has so far kept cholesterol at acceptable levels. When I had problems with Atorvastatin the dose was reduced, and Ezetrol was added to the mix. No problems since, and cholesterol levels fine.
I know many people are against statins, but they suit me.
Also, perhaps when you reach your target weight and introduce some fat to your diet again things will level out, and the need for statin medication will no longer be there.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I'm on the low carb high fat and not very active.
A whole week now and blood suugars very stable.
5.6 day and night.
Not sure if I should be worrying about cholesterol or not.
Is it really as bad as we're told?

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on the low carb high fat and not very active.
A whole week now and blood suugars very stable.
5.6 day and night.
Not sure if I should be worrying about cholesterol or not.
Is it really as bad as we're told?
For some, it is. But I doubt many will agree.
You pay your money and you take your choice.
I chose to accept statins after careful consideration of my personal health history and that of my family. Parents and grandmothers all had heart attacks in their early 50's. Other cardiovascular problems too. So did some cousins. I have a healthy heart, at almost 60. That is good enough for me at the moment, but I will review the situation regularly.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I was diagnosed on 26th January 2014 - and began the diet on 27th! My last HbA1c was 4.9. Eating high at is counter-intuitive to me when trying to lose weight, so I have been incredibly careful about what I have eaten. Once i reach my target - 10 st - I will reintroduce some foods to see what happens.
Wow! I have only lost 2 stone 11lbs and am really plateauing at the mo and have put a 1lb back on though think it's water as I'm not great at drinking loads.

G

graj0

Wow! I have only lost 2 stone 11lbs and am really plateauing at the mo and have put a 1lb back on though think it's water as I'm not great at drinking loads.
I just wanted to say on the statin front and I may have said it already, the information is out there and I couldn't take it all in. I was worried because most of my mother's family (both parents, 4 brothers) died from CVD, interestingly my mother has reached 84 but has vascular dementia and her two sisters, one older, one younger, don't seem to have heart problems at all. For me it was down to my side effects because everybody is different and the fact that lowering carbs lowered my total cholesterol.
Sorry to go slightly off topic, but 2 stone 11 lb is brilliant, well done. The 1 lb really isn't worth worrying about. I've been sent on a Weight Management course by my GP and I nearly said, "why do you want me to present it". One of the question on the form asked "How many times have you tried to lose weight in the last 5 years", my answer was "Once, the whole five years". I have restricted calories for 5 years and increased exercise for a lot of that time but arthritic knees, sciatica and muscular spasms in the back have played havoc with my efforts.

So I can say with a lot of confidence that the odd pound is nothing, it can easily be water and it can also be a slow intestinal transit time. I've been able to gain 5 kgs in 5 days and it's very frustrating, it was because of cocodomol, bungs you up and makes you absorb water like a sponge.

As for plateaus, very frustrating. I've never really lost much weight except for when I stopped taking Rosiglitazone and more recently when I lowered my carbs. I have followed Tesco Diets for some years and it seems that most people will plateau and most people will pull out of it in 6 - 12 weeks. I'd been losing weight up until April and even with a lower BMR because of the weight loss, my calorie intake of around a 1,000 cals is much lower than my resting BMR of 1900. If I was to adjust for exercise my BMR would obviously go up.

I was advised to eat properly for a couple of days to "get the metabolism going" and it did nothing for me, actually struggled to eat that much more. I'm going to add the 5/2 idea to my very low calorie diet although some people I know almost eat my normal day on one of their 2 days. It needs some organising because I'm the cook of the house and I hate cooking two different meals at the same time. I've been advised that a day of rice (carbs! Shock! Horror! LOL) and pureed apple might kick the metabolism.

While I've mentioned metabolism, that is one very complicated piece of biochemistry, I started to investigate something called the Krebs cycle which is all about the chemical reactions involved between eating a nutrient and delivering energy to the muscle (or storing fat). This has exposed me to the chemistry happening in the whole body and if you're interested in the 550 chemical reactions that happen in the body then have a look at this interactive PDF http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/Sigma/General_Information/metabolic_pathways_poster.pdf . It takes a while to load, and you can click on certain sections to get more detailed charts. I can't follow what's going on, absolutely no clue, but my smart **** wife (love her really) studied biochemistry under the guy who developed this chart, she's not that clear either, but it's interesting because there was a time when people laughed at expressions like "slow metabolism", well I've got a new one "knackered metabolism" and I've got the blood tests to prove it and the chart to show it. LOL
I'll get there eventually, hopefully before my head stops wanting to do stuff like get back on skis and sail the Atlantic, nothing OTT, there's no mountains to climb, I'm not that crazy. LOL

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I just wanted to say on the statin front and I may have said it already, the information is out there and I couldn't take it all in. I was worried because most of my mother's family (both parents, 4 brothers) died from CVD, interestingly my mother has reached 84 but has vascular dementia and her two sisters, one older, one younger, don't seem to have heart problems at all. For me it was down to my side effects because everybody is different and the fact that lowering carbs lowered my total cholesterol.
Sorry to go slightly off topic, but 2 stone 11 lb is brilliant, well done. The 1 lb really isn't worth worrying about. I've been sent on a Weight Management course by my GP and I nearly said, "why do you want me to present it". One of the question on the form asked "How many times have you tried to lose weight in the last 5 years", my answer was "Once, the whole five years". I have restricted calories for 5 years and increased exercise for a lot of that time but arthritic knees, sciatica and muscular spasms in the back have played havoc with my efforts.

So I can say with a lot of confidence that the odd pound is nothing, it can easily be water and it can also be a slow intestinal transit time. I've been able to gain 5 kgs in 5 days and it's very frustrating, it was because of cocodomol, bungs you up and makes you absorb water like a sponge.

As for plateaus, very frustrating. I've never really lost much weight except for when I stopped taking Rosiglitazone and more recently when I lowered my carbs. I have followed Tesco Diets for some years and it seems that most people will plateau and most people will pull out of it in 6 - 12 weeks. I'd been losing weight up until April and even with a lower BMR because of the weight loss, my calorie intake of around a 1,000 cals is much lower than my resting BMR of 1900. If I was to adjust for exercise my BMR would obviously go up.

I was advised to eat properly for a couple of days to "get the metabolism going" and it did nothing for me, actually struggled to eat that much more. I'm going to add the 5/2 idea to my very low calorie diet although some people I know almost eat my normal day on one of their 2 days. It needs some organising because I'm the cook of the house and I hate cooking two different meals at the same time. I've been advised that a day of rice (carbs! Shock! Horror! LOL) and pureed apple might kick the metabolism.

While I've mentioned metabolism, that is one very complicated piece of biochemistry, I started to investigate something called the Krebs cycle which is all about the chemical reactions involved between eating a nutrient and delivering energy to the muscle (or storing fat). This has exposed me to the chemistry happening in the whole body and if you're interested in the 550 chemical reactions that happen in the body then have a look at this interactive PDF http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/Sigma/General_Information/metabolic_pathways_poster.pdf . It takes a while to load, and you can click on certain sections to get more detailed charts. I can't follow what's going on, absolutely no clue, but my smart **** wife (love her really) studied biochemistry under the guy who developed this chart, she's not that clear either, but it's interesting because there was a time when people laughed at expressions like "slow metabolism", well I've got a new one "knackered metabolism" and I've got the blood tests to prove it and the chart to show it. LOL
I'll get there eventually, hopefully before my head stops wanting to do stuff like get back on skis and sail the Atlantic, nothing OTT, there's no mountains to climb, I'm not that crazy. LOL
Thank you for making me smile! :)

G

graj0

Thank you for making me smile! :)
What better way to start the day than to make somebody smile. Thanks. BTW, I have to see these weight management people on August 4th and I'm trying really really hard not to make any judgements ahead of the appointment. Although I'm expecting to be patronised and told to follow the "eatwell plate" with all those carbs and I will just have to say "what should I then do about the resulting increase in BG and total cholesterol?"

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What better way to start the day than to make somebody smile. Thanks. BTW, I have to see these weight management people on August 4th and I'm trying really really hard not to make any judgements ahead of the appointment. Although I'm expecting to be patronised and told to follow the "eatwell plate" with all those carbs and I will just have to say "what should I then do about the resulting increase in BG and total cholesterol?"
:banghead:
I had to sit through it as well, surrounded by 1 very angry woman who was only marginally overweight and thought that it was unfair that she had diabetes as it shouldn't happen to thin people :rolleyes: And lots of people who fell into the obese to morbidly obese category. All of them were relieved to be told that they could eat what they want but try to reduce fat and eat smaller portions! By all accounts ketosis is wrong, low carb is wrong, LCHF is the worst thing ever and we should all eat healthy plate. :banghead:
I just thought about my bs and weight and smiled. Smugly! :angelic:

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad or poor service
I was on Simvistatin for a number of years. Last year I developed pains in my back and kidney area. My consultant said it was due to the statin and changed to another type. This made everything worse so changed again. Just about tolerate the one I'm on now,but need them so have to put up with problems

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

G

graj0

:banghead:
I had to sit through it as well, surrounded by 1 very angry woman who was only marginally overweight and thought that it was unfair that she had diabetes as it shouldn't happen to thin people :rolleyes: And lots of people who fell into the obese to morbidly obese category. All of them were relieved to be told that they could eat what they want but try to reduce fat and eat smaller portions! By all accounts ketosis is wrong, low carb is wrong, LCHF is the worst thing ever and we should all eat healthy plate. :banghead:
I just thought about my bs and weight and smiled. Smugly! :angelic:
Oh $h1t! I'm hoping that my first appointment is a review of my questionnaire, maybe it will be, maybe not. I've spent a long time trying to lose weight, I've seen my weight go up by seven stone when I started to take Rosiglitazone and when I started to gain weight my anxious questions to my GP at the time was just met with a prescription for Citilapram. Where's those medical lawyers? The no win/no fee chaps. I was delighted when I had to stop Rosiglitazone and started to lose weight although not so happy that it was because it was affecting my liver function. I only lost 4 stone when I was prescribed Gliclazide because my BG was going up again and I gained 1 1/2 stone. I didn't start losing again until I lowered the carbs.
Breath deep Graham, breath deep. LOL
Just to keep on topic, those bloody statins, I really should be suing somebody,

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh $h1t! I'm hoping that my first appointment is a review of my questionnaire, maybe it will be, maybe not. I've spent a long time trying to lose weight, I've seen my weight go up by seven stone when I started to take Rosiglitazone and when I started to gain weight my anxious questions to my GP at the time was just met with a prescription for Citilapram. Where's those medical lawyers? The no win/no fee chaps. I was delighted when I had to stop Rosiglitazone and started to lose weight although not so happy that it was because it was affecting my liver function. I only lost 4 stone when I was prescribed Gliclazide because my BG was going up again and I gained 1 1/2 stone. I didn't start losing again until I lowered the carbs.
Breath deep Graham, breath deep. LOL
Just to keep on topic, those bloody statins, I really should be suing somebody,
My doc allowed me to ditch mine today! Yay!
You're a grown up so they can't make you follow a diet if you don't want to! If you want to eat an alternative diet do it. Eat to your meter! Good luck!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're a grown up so they can't make you follow a diet if you don't want to! If you want to eat an alternative diet do it. Eat to your meter! Good luck!
What did you ditch @Scandichic ? The statins? Hurrah! Is that because cholesterol is at the approved NHS levels?
Great news for you and the LCHF supporters.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What did you ditch @Scandichic ? The statins? Hurrah! Is that because cholesterol is at the approved NHS levels?
Great news for you and the LCHF supporters.
No!
My total cholesterol has gone from 6 to 7.4
HDL 1.1 to 1.3
LDL 4.5 to 6
Triglycerides 1.1 to 0.6
Doc is pleased with HDL and triglycerides
I talked about brain fog and he offered me a reduced statin. I said I'd rather not so he agreed to take it off the prescription but only after I mentioned the triglycerides!

G

graj0

No worries, I stopped eating bread/pasta/rice/potato a year ago, against all the advice that I had received up to that point, although to be fair to my present GPs, they never said much, just exceptionally pleased with the result. No more Gliclazide/Januvia/Atorvastatin, I'm saving the NHS a fortune LOL. My experience with the dieting world is that there is so much advice to choose from, a lot of it conflicting. With a resting BMR of 1900 cals most dieticians will advise against going lower than 1400, the traditional 3500 cals less per week. The nutritionists at the Bariatric Surgery unit in High Wycombe wouldn't want me to eat as much as 1200 (not going to have surgery anyway) and the endocrinologist I saw suggested going as low as 800, so my 1000 cals isn't too far off the minimum suggested but certainly lower than most of the advice, which had never worked anyway. I'll get there eventually although this plateau is getting tedious.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No worries, I stopped eating bread/pasta/rice/potato a year ago, against all the advice that I had received up to that point, although to be fair to my present GPs, they never said much, just exceptionally pleased with the result. No more Gliclazide/Januvia/Atorvastatin, I'm saving the NHS a fortune LOL. My experience with the dieting world is that there is so much advice to choose from, a lot of it conflicting. With a resting BMR of 1900 cals most dieticians will advise against going lower than 1400, the traditional 3500 cals less per week. The nutritionists at the Bariatric Surgery unit in High Wycombe wouldn't want me to eat as much as 1200 (not going to have surgery anyway) and the endocrinologist I saw suggested going as low as 800, so my 1000 cals isn't too far off the minimum suggested but certainly lower than most of the advice, which had never worked anyway. I'll get there eventually although this plateau is getting tedious.
Bloody annoying isn't it! I have for 2 weeks! Am eating all the right things too!

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Keep going Schandichic! I began to lose weight on January 26th this year and as of this morning have gone from 17 st 7 lbs to 11st 11 lbs. No carbs and about 700 calories a day. I am just about to go today to give bloods so will let you know. Day 3 on new statins as cholesterol without them last time went from 4 to 5.3. No side effects yet but last time it took a week or two for them to do their worst. I am not hopeful.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App