Improve your HbA1c in 3 minutes

SkinnyLizzie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2, diagnosed at the age of 65, nearly two years ago and don't have medication or test at the moment but for the last 6 months I've been exercising every morning - 20 squats, 30 press ups [the women's version, on knees] 10 touch toes and 20 towel stretches. In the evenings I do more, 30 straight leg roll ups, 20 double leg raises, 20 squats, 10 side planks, a 3 minute plank, glute walk - 25 steps each side using a theraband, 40 criss cross and 10 Turkish get ups. Prior to that my 'exercise' consisted of nothing more than things like gardening, playing with Grandchildren, going for walks etc. In three weeks time I'll be going for my 6 monthly diabetic check up and I'm hoping to hear that my BG levels are well under control after all that. I got the exercise bug after needing to see a chiropractor and seeing how effective the re hab exercises he gave me, they increased my agility enormously and gave me a flat stomach. I now see an exercise guru at the same clinic on a regular basis, he makes sure I'm doing everything properly and am progressing at a rate that suits my abilities.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, one day soon I am going to give up this challenge on the grounds that I'm 'only a woman'. Not just yet though. It took me about 3 minutes to find the strength to haul myself up from the floor today, but once I managed that there was no way I was collapsing until I'd achieved 5 seconds. :)

I thought adding stair runs would be good too.....20 seconds are you kidding?! 20 seconds is like....hours. I collapsed after 11 secs. This would be good practice for me though because one of my ambitions is to run up the steps of the away end at St. James' Park, (that's St. James' Park Newcastle, not St. James' Park Exeter...I've managed that one already) My previous best has been walking up 100, then needing to stop for breath.

Maybe I should just give up and grow old gracefully.

Reactions: 7 people

K80smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Heights, Paul McCartney,
Hi, I'm new on here but not new to diaabetes, am Type 1 (25 years) and now on Insulin pump! I am definitely up for this. I've been doing Insanity classes for while now and am a little obsessed with HIIT at the moment. Michael Mosley makes a lot of sense in his 'Fast Exercise' book. I have been going to the gym for years (though you wouldn't know it from my size) and I feel like this sort of training is finally having an impact on me! From changing my classes and starting Insanity my HBA1c went down in 6 weeks from 8.4 to 7.4, I am aiming for that glorious under 7 figure which I haven't had since I was a child and it now feels achievable. To cut what could be a very long story short, I am definitely up for doing this and will start tomorrow. I assume it has to be in the morning too?

Reactions: 2 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I assume it has to be in the morning too?

Hi @K80smith - welcome aboard! I don't think it matters when you do it as long as you do it every day (except weekends).

As you are already doing HIIT then you might be way ahead of us anyway; but it can't hurt?!

My bg before bed last night was 6.4 mmol/l and this morning was 6.3 mmol/l and then 6.3 mmol/l before lunch. That is VERY DISAPPOINTING as it means, to me, that this is working and I'll have to keep doing these bloody exercises for ever!

Best

Dillinger

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@zand
Why not try the half plank? (sorry about the big over 50 flag, I don't know how old you are , it was just that this video seemed quite clear)
and beginner burpees

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting...

Ok will try out the plank first, since my life has absolutely no form of exercise these days, even a small walk raises my sugars it seems - how does that make sense?....

Anyway - tomorrow morning is the day....

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand
Why not try the half plank? (sorry about the big over 50 flag, I don't know how old you are , it was just that this video seemed quite clear)
and beginner burpees
Thanks so much for both of these phoenix........Oh and the over 50 flag is fine! (I'm 56)
OK now all I have to do is find my BG meter!

antonia86

I think this is a great idea! I usually have quite an active lifestyle which involves lots of sport and I am a huge fan of hiit workouts. I have recently been out of action due to a fractured 5 th metatarsal and the increase in my insulin requirements were shocking whilst I have been inactive. I don't usually have any long acting insulin threw the day as it results in too many hypo ' s. But whilst I have been immobile I have needed the background insulin. It just shows how excersize can help improve over all management. I am now returning to sports after my fracture and I am so glad I found this thread as it sounds like the perfect starting point. Thank you!

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@phoenix - thanks that's much easier. I managed the half plank for 40 secs and also some beginner burpees - both of these exercises seem to be beneficial to my lower back muscles which is good because they have been hurting a little recently.

@Dillinger - so I'm working up to the full minute of half plank, then I'll do however many seconds I can with the proper one and complete the 60 with half plank instead of just collapsing. When I was first diagnosed I did loads of horrid time-consuming stretches before going out for a brisk walk. I was never going to keep that up. This is so much better because it's fun and works on everything at once. I am also combining phoenix's beginner burpees with stair runs, just to get up to 20 seconds continuous effort. How can 20 seconds be so long while 30 seconds is so short?

Am I going to mess up your experiment if I warm up with a moderate walk of 20-40 mins first? I know that's not in your plan, but I think my muscles need a little help with this and I am already used to walking most mornings anyway. So this morning was a bit messy because I forgot about my husband being in the way and wanting to use the stairs too:rolleyes:. My fasting BG was 8.0 (yes dreadful....blame my senile Aunt and what she considers to be healthy food...next time I take a plastic container to hide it away in when she isn't looking). After a 45 min walk (slow to moderate only today) it was 7.5. Then my husband tidied away my meter.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :grumpy: My next job is to find my meter and my sanity. :arghh:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Zand,
As you get fitter for flexibility and strength can I recommend using pilates videos. (the floor exercises not those that use ropes and pulleys) It's good to mix it and they really do work on core muscles. (don't necessarily lower glucose levels although I have had hypos doing them)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I don't know how related this is, but I hit 5.5 this morning, not far off my record. I'm also throwing out 38" waist trousers because they are far too big now, and can even get into some 34s. The rowing machine and walking will have got things started of course but the planking certainly seems to be helping to tighten things up! I'm still not flexible enough to do more than beginner burpees though.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dillinger, before sleep last night I did plank and managed 60 seconds. I was surprised that I could do it and so am wondering whether I was doing it right. Hubby thinks plank is supported on hands, not elbows? But I looked at your video of extreme planking for @Andy12345 and that guy was on his elbows. Did hatha yoga afterwards for 40 mins and then tried beginner burpees - found those very very demanding, but I enjoyed the challenge and will try to incorporate the exercise into every day somewhere. Was 2.8 before sleep but not full blown hypo, just something for me to watch in future. I'd had a full-on day anyway, having gone to the pool in the morning.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Zand,
As you get fitter for flexibility and strength can I recommend using pilates videos. (the floor exercises not those that use ropes and pulleys) It's good to mix it and they really do work on core muscles. (don't necessarily lower glucose levels although I have had hypos doing them)
thank you....I have been avoiding pilates, probably because I am lazy at heart, but I do see the sense of what you are saying, so yes I will give it a try. My chiropractor wanted me to find some exercises to strengthen certain muscles, so this will at least please her, if not me initially. Phoenix I really do appreciate the advice, (even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear!) and I will be acting on it as I accept that it is good advice and can only help me.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
@Dillinger Hubby thinks plank is supported on hands, not elbows?

I was surprised by that as well; it does look suspiciously easy doesn't it? I thought I would be able to do hours of it, until about a minute in when I collapsed on the floor...

You need to keep your back straight so that you are holding everything together with your stomach muscles. I use a small cushion under my elbows as I do mine on the kitchen floor. I might see if I can extend the time by 15 seconds up to a max of 2 minutes; I don't want any of this to take me too long or else I'll find excuses not to do it.

I've noticed that by doing in the morning; I get a blood sugar rise after breakfast so have to increase my morning insulin which is kind of funny but the rest of the day all my levels appear to have smoothed out.

I'm glad so many people are giving it a go!

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 6 people

Momblegoose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
40 seconds half plank and 5 beginner burpees .. I have rather too much excess to make either of these exercises very easy :(

Reactions: 5 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
40 seconds half plank and 5 beginner burpees .. I have rather too much excess to make either of these exercises very easy :(

But that's good - that's the start; if you can do that everyday and get out of breath then it will help with your blood sugars, if you can raise it after a while then that's even better.

Best

Dillinger

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
My wife had to correct my plank position (bum sticking up too much) but I'm happy supporting it on forearms. One thing I haven't been able to do for ages is bend my hands back to more than 50 degrees relative to my wrist, so the press-up position on my hands is awkward. Luckily I've always been able to do it on fingertips which is OK (not too many though!), in fact that's what we were taught to do at school all those years ago.