First results of HbA1c level since diagnosis (good news!!!)

ricardoharrison

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rascism / Fascism / Negativity
Hi All just wanted to share some good news

Just got back from the docs surgey and just received my my latest sets of results, the scorecards are

• HbA1c level 43mmol/mol
Cholesterol level 5.8mmol/L
  • Trig 2.3
  • HDL 0.96
  • LDL 3.9
Weight 84kg down from 90kg (height is 6ft 2)

Now the 1c level is dramatically reduced from my original findings three months ago. This was 103mmol/mol so it looks like (if I've got my conversions correct) I've gone from 16.1mmol/L to 6.1mmol/L. Which seems about right as my three month average on my daily blood readings average out about 6.5. I'm fairly happy with that, would love it to come down even further and get a 1c reading in the 5s or 6s so thats summat to aim for!!.

The only issue I've got is I've been given statins for my cholesterol which I was hoping I wouldn't. One a day. I'm still on the metformim but the nurse was hopeful to take me off after the next test in 6months time.

So overal I think I'm going the right way, I hope to get the chol levels sorted over time. I do a mix of Low GI / LCHF diet but not extreme control. Also run 5k every other night and building up to 10k and half marathon distances over the next year (fingers crossed).

pretty chuffed!! considering this was a bolt out of the blue diagnosis and I original went to the docs with a pulled muscle through running!!!.

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, what an inspiring HbA1c reduction. Brilliant! Excellent weight loss, too.
I agree your cholesterol needs a bit of attention. Do you eat a lot of oily fish? If not, try to include 3 portions a week, which should increase your HDL and lower your Trigs.

Congratulations!

ricardoharrison

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
yeah to be honest the chol levels I knew were high but with the sugar levels being so high it was more deal with the sugars then we'll move onto cholesterol!!. Diet still neds to be tweaked I dont eat enough fish and I need to research what's good to lower it!!.

all in all though a lot better place then where I was three months ago!!.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Very well done in coming down to 43 from such a high level in three months!

As for statins, my TC is coming down slowly with diet and exercise, and it's still just higher than yours. I refused them when I was at 6.9. They can't force you to take them.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are doing very well, Richard. I had my first check since diagnosis recently and still have a little way to go, although I did well. It takes time to change our lives around!

ricardoharrison

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
thanks all for the good comments!!, to be blatently honest this forum has been amazing for me, I dont post a lot but I've gone over soooooo many threads for advice it's been an utter godsend and I'm glad I've got this community to dip into!!.

If anyone is reading this and is unsure of what to do or what to eat, heed these words, make sure you read everytihng on here and ask for advice!!. This place should be very proud of the lengths people go to help each other out!!.

On top of everything the postie has just been and delivered me a bayer USB monitor!!!!.

Reactions: 2 people