Missed insulin today

Peachypuff72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being woken up early :(
Okay I know I'm stupid for doing it but today I woke up with really really bad vertigo to the point that moving my eyes are causing me to throw up and I have been home alone so I haven't been able to administer Any insulin. Not even my lantus. I have eaten a tiny bit of soup but my appetite had disappeared. I don't feel confident giving myself a needle at this moment in time. My bloods have shot up to 11.4. My ketones are 0.4. Should I be okay for the rest of the evening or should I call my mum to come and help me ? Sorry, Newly diagnosed type 1 and really scared. Thank you in advance xx

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If you're not eating then your BG levels shouldn't rise too high but keep testing regularly. It would be good if you could at least get your background insulin done ? See what your levels are prior to bed and make a decision then.

Reactions: 2 people

Peachypuff72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you. I've asked my mam to come over and look after me. I just feel so tired. I'm flaking out already and it's only 18:15pm! :(.
Is there anything you can tell me about sick day rules? I've only just heard of it but my DN has never explained this to me. Thank you again in advance :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you use a diary
You could put up your doses from yesterday and as Mo said do a basal shot

Peachypuff72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My doses yesterday were

7:30am - lantus 7 units

13:30 - nova 2 units (had a hypo 5 hours after)

19:00pm -nova 2 units.

Then I had two pieces of toast at bedtimes and my bloods were 10.4.

This morning my bloods were 6.3

Xxx

Peachypuff72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you so much! This forum is more useful than my diabetic team!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here is a guide to the Sick Day Rules but they all require you to inject insulin ?

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=141
If there is no insulin then the liver will release glucose ( Glucagon and insulin are sort of opposite ends of a see-saw ). If there is no insulin then this glucose can't be taken in by the cells (so glucose levels will rise) If someone is ill they may also be more insulin resistant so need more insulin.
Children and some teens can go into DKA in 5 hours without insulin. Someone in the honeymoon or an adult who has only been diagnosed a few years will normally take longer (unless they have a virulent infection/trauma)
The golden rule is to keep taking basal insulin. The link you gave is good. It really annoys me that people are not told what to do if they are sick before it happens.
Maybe we also should have a sticky on sick day rules.

Reactions: 8 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny you mention this @phoenix ...
Maintaining the insulin dosage on "sick days" was probably the only decent bit of advice I was given as a kid in the 70's, featured strongly in a rather patronising illustrated "Janet & John has Diabetes" book....
Well, maybe along with a diagram of injection rotating sites that looked like an old "butchers cut" chart...

D

Deleted member 83869

I know 11 may seem high to you but it isn't too alarming! As Phoenix said about going into DKA I only had 10 units of levemir once as it was all I had left ( I didn't know) the next money I was seriously ill with DKA....not trying to scare you but do try and get someone to do your insulin for you!

Get well soon! :) x

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you have sickness and are unable to eat you still need to have the basal as usual. Tiny sips of apple juice may help to settle digestion problems. Also keep measuring blood glucose levels and inject a tiny correction dose if the reading is above 10. If the reading is too low (without fast acting insulin on board) then lower the next basal injection.

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
Fastest route to DKA ... background insulin is vital no matter what. If you need some help, please seek it. Also I really wouldn't be terrified of a reading of 11. But that figure is going to keep on rising with no insulin in you. I hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: 4 people

Peachypuff72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi everyone.

Been in bed for the last few days. Very very tired. My DN won't see me for a few weeks. Not been feeling to good either. No appetite still. Been taking my basal doses which today I've had 8units. Beginning to get really frustrated with being tired all the time. I don't feel like can go out anywhere because I just get to drained. Xx

Peachypuff72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've started getting intense headaches. My glucose is in the high teens. I've given myself a correction dose (2 units). Hopefully it will come down. Feel so rotten xxx

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not surprised you feel rotton. High teens is not good. Would you go to A & E for help to get the levels down?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Make sure you drink plenty, headaches can be a sign of dehydration.