Help! Afternoon Tea!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I have a dilemma. I'm newly diagnosed and have been invited to afternoon tea for my mum-in-laws 60th birthday! Sugary cakes, white bread... Pre diabetic this would have sounded dreamy but now sounds like a nightmare!
Should I go? I could eat a little, but my will power is not great and i think I would find it really difficult.:.
Thanks for ur advice!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go, eat, enjoy.
One meal a fortnight or month is neither here nor there. It's what you do the rest of the time is important IMO
Low (no) carb for lunch and dinner will help

Last edited by a moderator:

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, certainly go and enjoy yourself. Is the celebration at a luxury hotel?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I have a dilemma. I'm newly diagnosed and have been invited to afternoon tea for my mum-in-laws 60th birthday! Sugary cakes, white bread... Pre diabetic this would have sounded dreamy but now sounds like a nightmare!
Should I go? I could eat a little, but my will power is not great and i think I would find it really difficult.:.
Thanks for ur advice!

I'd have thought that someone who works in a chocolate factory would need a lot of will power!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd have thought that someone who works in a chocolate factory would need a lot of will power!!
Lol it's true! But I have none... I was hoping a health scare would kick me into shape, but I was nibbling on some chocolate today

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The dietician at our diabetic clinic says chocolate is okay because it has the right kind of fat. Enjoy, but develop a taste for the high cocoa stuff in small amounts. And, of course, test, test, test.

Reactions: 2 people

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I have afternoon tea occasionally. Check your sugars regularly, give yourself extra insulin to cover (if you're on novorapid) and enjoy.

There is a book called type 1 diabetes in children, adolescents and young adults that was recommended to me. By dr Ragnar Hanas. I recommend it to you. It's really interesting, and he talks about treats and such like.

It's very important we are allowed treats occasionally. Parties and such like. So go, enjoy yourself.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people