Dislikes
liver
i would imagine you would as you have needles

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope, have carried mine on in hand luggage and checked luggage loads of times. My meter will be in my hand luggage when I fly tomorrow. I don't have a letter, I do take my repeat prescription slip with me though.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We've just had a thread running on the same subject, it would seem most of us never get asked for a letter by security at airports but it's sensible just to get one done all the same.

Just be warned, some gp's charge so if your under the care of a hospital clinic get them to write the letter, they'll do it for nothing :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As above. Never any issue at airport security... & I fly a fair bit..

Enjoy your trip.!

rijohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a frequent flyer and never had an issue with my monitor. I used to have to carry a letter when I was using syringes but now on the flex pen I dont have issues as flying regulations say you can have something sharp etc as long as its under I think 6cm. I generally carry all my medication for a trip in hand luggage and so can often be enough to fill those little clear bags. This means I generally cant carry all my desired liquids in hand luggage but I have at times used two clear bags and stated that one is for medication and that has been ok, not sure what the actual regulations on that are though so may be worth looking into, or getting a letter from a dr about carrying two clear bags.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a frequent flyer and never had an issue with my monitor. I used to have to carry a letter when I was using syringes but now on the flex pen I dont have issues as flying regulations say you can have something sharp etc as long as its under I think 6cm. I generally carry all my medication for a trip in hand luggage and so can often be enough to fill those little clear bags. This means I generally cant carry all my desired liquids in hand luggage but I have at times used two clear bags and stated that one is for medication and that has been ok, not sure what the actual regulations on that are though so may be worth looking into, or getting a letter from a dr about carrying two clear bags.

Hi,

I'm certainly not disputing the procedure you folow with regards to "clear bagging".. :)

I always take more than I need in my had luggage for the duration & keep stuff in the relevant containers..
I have never experienced hardship for not clear bagging items like insulin cartridges.. In fact the only time they wanted clarity in contents was due to a 5 pack of Mars bars.. "Dark object they thought was a book or bomb or something"??? Lol
In fairness, my wash bag goes in the hold... My hand luggage is always one hell of a jumble... :p

rijohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm certainly not disputing the procedure you folow with regards to "clear bagging".. :)

I always take more than I need in my had luggage for the duration & keep stuff in the relevant containers..
I have never experienced hardship for not clear bagging items like insulin cartridges.. In fact the only time they wanted clarity in contents was due to a 5 pack of Mars bars.. "Dark object they thought was a book or bomb or something"??? Lol
In fairness, my wash bag goes in the hold... My hand luggage is always one hell of a jumble... :p

The reason I carry it all because when things are in the hold cabin the often freeze and I know that affects the insulin. Also because I have lost my luggage a few times and that was a nightmare!! In terms of other liquids I often only travel with hand luggage so my life needs to be in that bag haha.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason I carry it all because when things are in the hold cabin the often freeze and I know that affects the insulin. Also because I have lost my luggage a few times and that was a nightmare!! In terms of other liquids I often only travel with hand luggage so my life needs to be in that bag haha.

Yes I see.. The way I look at it with hold luggage if I loose a wash bag & a couple of old tee shirts..? "C'est la vie"..

The hand luggage is indeed the lifeline...!;)

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have taken my test kit a few times and never been asked about it. I have never had a letter from GP, would e unlikely I would get one as they think T2's dont need them :eek:

Each airline and country you are travelling will have clear guidelines, I generally check on their websites what the policy is.

There may be an issue if you have syringes, then I would recommend a letter and taking copy of prescription.

Hope you are going somewhere nice :cool:

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having slightly gone off track with this conversation.. My apologies..

I noticed that @needle1954 is type2. Which meant that the question was primarily about the blood meter..
I would say the meter is just another electronic gadget to them.. You may encounter under the new "home security guidelines" in the States having to prove the unit can be switched on...?!!

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I"ve been flying internationally and locally for 11 years (as long as I've had D) and I've never had to have a doc's note or anything to fly with my insulin, needles or anything to do with being Diabetic. Traveling around the UK and EU never had an issue, and traveling around the US or Canada never had an issue (here in Canada if I run out of my supplies I just go to any pharmacy and buy what ever I need, no script necessary, same goes for when down in the US - and I've dun it a few times for various reasons).

Doesn't hurt I guess to have a doc's note to the effect that your diabetic, but I've never needed one for being able to fly - had a few FDA ppl refuse to open my backpack because of the insulin needles (so have had to open it and pull it apart for them to look at - they won't touch anything at all, I've had to handle everything and show it directly to them, so traveling to the US we make sure to get into no mans land early because of the possible security check taking longer then it would other wise take - most of the time its 0 issue though). I travel to the US every other year to visit the in-laws and to the UK to see my family.

Meter and pump are dismissed as what ever - they are always more interested in the laptops and other electreonics, or have the past several years of flying.

andy1971

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
peas and doctors... well you asked!
I think most security at airports are familiar these days but a letter headed from your doctor should clear up any doubts. Last time I flew a couple of years back it cost me about £10 for a letter... Good work if you can get it!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App