Sweet Potatoes

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I've never eaten them or bought them before but I read they are better than normal spuds so I bought some and am looking for suggestions on what goes well with them and cooking methods. The only reason I thought to try them was they're packed with vitamins and lower on carbs than normal potatoes. Thanks folks !:)

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've been known to have the odd sweet potato recipe.. The name "sweet potato" suggest otherwise for a D. Lol
But my wife tends to try this stuff.. Healthy eating and all that.! My figures tend not to do too bad on the stuff.
I'm more comfortable cooking fish..
I rarely if at all have normal spuds...

Enjoy & let us know how you got on...!? :)

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I might have one sweet potato once a week, I like them cut into chips thin sprinkled with salt n pepper and olive oil sprinkled on them, they do go from soft to black / burnt quite fast. Unless that's many cooking.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do ok with sweet potato which is good cos I love them, usually have with chicken or tuna n veg n make wedges or mash with the sweet potato

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Carb wise they are much the same, however boiled sweet pots are lower on the glycemic index. I like mine seasoned and roasted in the oven in extra virgin olive oil.

Sands7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eddie, I boil or roast them first, then add them with chickpeas to a salad and season with chilli flakes and lemon juice. Yum!!

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Think I will try them roasted in the oven or cover them in tinfoil and bake them. I' invested in one of those airfryers might try it too. Thanks ppl

jonm8

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Watch them if baking they tend to leak .. use as you would a potato