Symptoms of low BS for T2

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As it says below, Im T2, taking 2x2 500mg Metf./day and on a low carb high fat diet. My BG levels has finally come down to decent numbers, mainly below 6.

Now to my questions. What are the symptoms of low BG. And at what BG level does these symptoms appear for you?

I had a good supper following my diet. After 2 hrs I went to make a snack, and felt a bit shakey, and almost like a tingleing feeling under my skin on my arms. My BG was then 4.5. I had a bowl of wipped cream and wild strawberries, and after that what we call ketoballs, witch mainly consists of butter, coconut flakes, cacao powder and in this case some peanut butter. An hour after this snack my BG was down to 4.2 wich is the lowest Ive tested ever.

Would be nice to hear about your experiences!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, of course I mean BG. Im swedish and its BS (blodsocker) in my language. Sorry again!

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ty for your reply! I will most definatly keep eating LCHF! Its simply the best! For me at least. Im newly diagnosed and have only taken Metf. for 6 weeks (just as long as Ive eaten LCHF). I will continue for a little longer to make sure that my BG has become stable. Then Metf. will be up for discussion :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My a1c is 38/5.6 and I still take my met
False hypo is when you get symptoms but bg is ok. It's because your body isn't use to normal.
Normal starts at 3.5 and over

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jack,

I dont know where mine is yet, haven't tested it since I was diagnosed in early June. Then HbA1c was arounc 110. Since my 14 days avarage is on 6.1 now, it should be considerably lower next time I test it.

So you are saying that you can get symptoms of hypo beacause these "low" BG levels are new to my body? I still feel it, even if my BG now is a bit higher. Strange feeling.

Initially I was determined to get rid of the Metformin. But then I read an article about the health benefits of the med and is starting to wonder if it isn't wise to keep taking it after all. Still debating with myself about it.

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i did experience the symptom. so weak that i could not walk. i thought i am suffering a hypo. but blood test is 4.6. i think that could be a withdrawal symptom.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes that's it, you can feel schite with normal because you aren't use to it
If my bg is over 3.5 on my meter. I wouldn't be concerned as it is in the normal range. Less than that I would see the dr for advice

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting this, I have so much to learn! I followed my BG through this and found it strange that it went even lower 1 hour after I had eaten.

4.5 pre meal when I started to feel the sympoms
4.2 1 hr post meal still symptoms
5.5 2 hrs post meal less symtoms
5.0 3.5 hrs post meal.back to normal

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the low 1hr....Slow digesting carbs or protein being converted ?

Just to confuse you. You will read that 4 is hypo, but that's for insulin and other hypo inducing meds

You can add a bit of carb back with those numbers if you want to

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My meal had about 12 g carbs, 10g protein and 75g fats if I just count the nutritionvalue of it. The carbs were mainly wilde strawberries, full fat cream and coconu flakes.

That webpage is new to me, will have a look at it.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10g protein is a bit low if that's a norm IMO
50g to 70g a day is about normal. There are protein calculators online

The fat and metformin slows digestion which will affect the 1 hr

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That was really only a snack. I have had a good ratio of fat and protein during the day, both breakfast, lunch and supper. Well up on what I should have for protein in a day.

This was just surprising since Ive never had a lower value at 1 hr post meal that the premeal value.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On LC they say up to 50% of protein goes to glucose
Google ' pizza effect ' for fat and digestion info and it is funny how it works

Last edited by a moderator:

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting reading, I guess that's why some recommend you to eat something fatty premeal . And why a glass of red in the end of a meal makes less BG fuss than a glass of red on its own.

Yes, Ive learnt that the body makes the carbs it needs from protein, but of you overeat protein, the part of the protein that you didnt really need becomes even more carbs and hinder say weight loss.