Unexpected Pregnancy and Almost Well-Controlled Diabetes

bahhbue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I am a Type 1 Diabetic and have had it for 18 years (Juvenile Diabetes). Growing up, my sugars would sometimes be out of whack, up until I became an adult, when they finally calmed down.

The last time I had my A1C checked (which was probably about 5 months or so ago), my level was a 7.0 A1C. I think it is pretty much the same level, if not any lower.

A few days ago, I took some home pregnancy test and they all came up as positive. So, I went to the doctor yesterday to confirm the tests and he told me that I was pregnant. I was not expecting this at all, but I am very excited and cannot wait to have my baby, but can't help but feel anxious and worried due to my diabetes.

Before finding out that I was pregnant, I took insulin regularly with anything that I ate, but would rarely check my levels (maybe did it once to twice a day). I know that isn't the best way to care for diabetes and is only my fault (I have no excuse).

After taking the home pregnancy tests, I freaked out and was checking my glucose levels every hour (up until today when the doctor told me when to check/record them). I was worried because the night I found out, I took some Nyquil since I felt sick (thought I had a cold but guess it was just pregnancy hahaha), which spiked my sugar level up to the 400s. I managed to quickly get it down and since then, my sugars are typically ranging between the 70s-150s. A couple of times, it would hit the very early 200s, but I take some Humalog and it goes to normal.

Over-all, I am just concerned about the baby's health. I can't get an ultrasound until two more weeks, so this is making me pretty anxious!

To comfort myself, I decided to check around online for Diabetes and Pregnancy. I couldn't find many positive things... A lot of sites say the baby can come out looking like a cyclops or be brain damaged!

Really, I just need some reassurance from actual diabetics who have had [healthy] children. Can anyone please let me know how their pregnancies went, and if it is anything similar to how mine is starting out? By the way, I'm not entirely sure how far along I am, but I believe I am possibly a month pregnant.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, if you were my wife, I'd be happy with 7 and better control since then. When you tested must have been good enough to keep good numbers. It's normal and a good thing to go OCD on BG when expecting and I wish you well

The only constructive thing I can do is give you this link to a US workbook. to see if it's a help in any way
http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/download/insulin_adjustment_workbook_complete.pdf

Reactions: 2 people

samtov

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello and congratulations! I am type one diabetic and have been for 25 years. I haven't had my baby yet but I am 35 weeks. In the beginning stages of pregnancy I had a few high readings and I did correct them as soon as I tested, and baby seems to be doing really well! Growth of baby is average and at the 20 week scan - which is when they check for abnormalities, everything was fine. I will be induced at 38 weeks, which I am really pleased with and doctors are really pleased with my control too. I hope everything goes well for you! X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bahhbue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am glad to hear positive things, it makes me feel much more relaxed and safe :3 Thank you all!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Congratulations! Are you from the UK? The reason I ask is that Boots used to have this free magazine for mums and in it was a week by week break down of how your baby develops with piccies. I used to read it over and over again so it became dog eared! Get lots of rest where you can because it gets quite chaotic once they arrive! If you have a second one, it will be like a hurricane passing through but they are worth every second of it! Big hugs!

Reactions: 3 people

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm type 1 and have been for 16 years. I'm 28 & I'm 38 weeks pregnant. My A1C was 9 on falling pregnant and is now 7.2. I have had weeks of great control interrupted by highs when the body decides to blast a new set of hormones out while baking baby. As long as u keep on top of them tho, u'll b fine. Main priority for u is to test as often as possible so u know exactly what ur bloods r thru the day, so u can make corrections when needed. My pregnancy has so far not been effected by diabetes. My baby is baking just fine. I'm getting induced at 39 weeks which the Dr's r pleased with as baby is doing fab!!! It's hard work indeed but if u have reasonably good control and know how to rectify high bloods, then u'll manage just fine. The antenatal ward keep a very close eye on u too to ensure u r doing what's best for u and baby!!! Good luck, it defo is a roller coaster ride!! :))

bahhbue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations! Are you from the UK? The reason I ask is that Boots used to have this free magazine for mums and in it was a week by week break down of how your baby develops with piccies. I used to read it over and over again so it became dog eared! Get lots of rest where you can because it gets quite chaotic once they arrive! If you have a second one, it will be like a hurricane passing through but they are worth every second of it! Big hugs!
Hello and thanks for responding! No, I am not residing in the UK (in the US), but I would think there'd be a similar magazine like yours... Is there an online version of it?

bahhbue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and have been for 16 years. I'm 28 & I'm 38 weeks pregnant. My A1C was 9 on falling pregnant and is now 7.2. I have had weeks of great control interrupted by highs when the body decides to blast a new set of hormones out while baking baby. As long as u keep on top of them tho, u'll b fine. Main priority for u is to test as often as possible so u know exactly what ur bloods r thru the day, so u can make corrections when needed. My pregnancy has so far not been effected by diabetes. My baby is baking just fine. I'm getting induced at 39 weeks which the Dr's r pleased with as baby is doing fab!!! It's hard work indeed but if u have reasonably good control and know how to rectify high bloods, then u'll manage just fine. The antenatal ward keep a very close eye on u too to ensure u r doing what's best for u and baby!!! Good luck, it defo is a roller coaster ride!! :))

Ah, so the random high blood sugars are actually quite normal? I've had a couple since finding out at the doctors, but luckily they were only border-line highs ^^; And wow, so your A1C right now is around the same as mine, so I feel a lot better about that :D! And wow, your baby is almost here, I bet you're excited! Congrats :)! And thank you for your story, it makes me feel more relieved and relaxed about this pregnancy.

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and congratulations :) I am 57 and have has diabetes for 50 of those years. I have 2 healthy children and had pretty much trouble free pregnancies. My children are 30 and 25 and diabetes control etc: has come a long way since I had them. Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy.
(My avatar is my granddaughter who is now 8 months old-think she is 3 months old in the picture). Diabetics can and do have healthy children who then go on to have healthy children of their own :):dummy1:

Reactions: 3 people

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My A1C isn't fantastic and defo wasn't to begin with. But they have been so supportive and helped me get them down. 2nd trimester I was at 6.8% as things calm down around that period of time (diabetes wise) but as I got further into the last trimester it crept up to 7.2%. My Dr's say I'm doing a great job and make me feel optimistic every week. Baby isn't here yet so we don't know 100% she is ok, but so far it's going well!! My bloods r occasionally high but i can rectify it and things r good. U can only but do ur best thru ur pregnancy and that as well as what is made for u, will be ur outcome. It's not a fun journey, but it's worth it!! Again, good luck!!

Reactions: 4 people

bahhbue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and congratulations :) I am 57 and have has diabetes for 50 of those years. I have 2 healthy children and had pretty much trouble free pregnancies. My children are 30 and 25 and diabetes control etc: has come a long way since I had them. Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy.
(My avatar is my granddaughter who is now 8 months old-think she is 3 months old in the picture). Diabetics can and do have healthy children who then go on to have healthy children of their own :):dummy1:
Oh wow, this is really great to hear, especially hearing that you had healthy children and your child had such a healthy baby girl! I don't understand why these medical websites have to make it sound so scary and impossible for Diabetic women to go through pregnancy/birth. It puts this false idea into our heads that we just need to accept that we can't conceive and live life worrying. I feel really great from all of this positive feedback, thank you for your story :)!

bahhbue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My A1C isn't fantastic and defo wasn't to begin with. But they have been so supportive and helped me get them down. 2nd trimester I was at 6.8% as things calm down around that period of time (diabetes wise) but as I got further into the last trimester it crept up to 7.2%. My Dr's say I'm doing a great job and make me feel optimistic every week. Baby isn't here yet so we don't know 100% she is ok, but so far it's going well!! My bloods r occasionally high but i can rectify it and things r good. U can only but do ur best thru ur pregnancy and that as well as what is made for u, will be ur outcome. It's not a fun journey, but it's worth it!! Again, good luck!!

I am very sure you'll have a healthy baby :3 especially if the doctors seem optimistic! So I'm guessing that the A1C thing is kinda a scare method of sorts for pregnant Diabetics? Well, I know that whether preggers or not, A1C should always be leveled, but I always see on these medical sights saying to keep the A1C below a 6.0. To me, it sound like it can vary from person to person, so it's a little relieving :) Thanks for your input!

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If u can get it down then that's fantastic but it is also unrealistic at times. They do try and scare u to get them better which is important I believe but as long as u sort things thru ur pregnancy I'm sure it will b fine. It's hard to tell. There's woman on here who have had results as high as 12% and proceeded to have healthy babies. :S Mine wld b 100 times better but as I say I have eaten what I want all the way thru, just ensured I take the right amount of insulin to combat what I've eaten. But I don't think I cld've coped with pregnancy on a low carb diet, it's not good for u and baby and as I say carbs r all I thought about. And sweets, I've never eaten as much sweet things as I have thru this pregnancy. But I've controlled it with my insulin intake. I will defo stop the sweet tooth and over carbing when baby comes. And I will expect to c my A1C even better.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You do the best you can. Keep the hypo and spikes to a minimum. Eat healthy fats (get rid of margarine and replace with butter and Olive oil) and don't over do the processed junk carbs.
Chick peas, lentils, beans deserve being in a diet

Last edited by a moderator:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hello and thanks for responding! No, I am not residing in the UK (in the US), but I would think there'd be a similar magazine like yours... Is there an online version of it?
Sadly not! :(

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi bahhue and thanks. She is absolutely gorgeous and I love her to bits. I am very look in that I get to look after her on a Monday and Tuesday while her parents are at work. Must admit that 30 years down the line its a lot more tiring looking after a little one. :eek:

bahhbue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi bahhue and thanks. She is absolutely gorgeous and I love her to bits. I am very look in that I get to look after her on a Monday and Tuesday while her parents are at work. Must admit that 30 years down the line its a lot more tiring looking after a little one. :eek:
Aww <3 At least you get the lucky end hahaha you get to go home and get rest