Should I tell my new boss?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I am about to start my first full time job as an Estate Agent, and i was wondering if you think I should tell my new boss that I have type 1 diabetes?

If you think i should, then how should i bring it up if he doesnt ask? Do they normally ask about medical details etc?

Reactions: 2 people

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to add, I know that he can't discriminate against me or anything, but i just wanted to know if it is important to tell him?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Just wanted to add, I know that he can't discriminate against me or anything, but i just wanted to know if it is important to tell him?
What if you hypo?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi as you are in full time employment, I would advise you to tell your employer that you have Type 1. because of Hypo's and Hyper's, (what not to do and what to do in case you feel unwell) It could also be the case of you deliberately with holding important medical information .about yourself. .I would of thought that most companies would appreciate honesty from an employee. You could just bring it up as " by the way I thought I should tell you....................... and it's not a big deal and it's just part of who you are. Good luck and all the best. RRB

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi as you are in full time employment, I would advise you to tell your employer that you have Type 1. because of Hypo's and Hyper's, (what not to do and what to do in case you feel unwell) It could also be the case of you deliberately with holding important medical information .about yourself. .I would of thought that most companies would appreciate honesty from an employee. You could just bring it up as " by the way I thought I should tell you....................... and it's not a big deal and it's just part of who you are. Good luck and all the best. RRB

Okay thank you... I will see if it comes up on my first day, If not I will let him know, you're right, I know it is important i guess!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would tell your employer purely from a safety point of view for if you have a bad hypo and you need some help.
My boss knows but then I was diagnosed while in this employment and had to take time off while I was in hospital. I also get time off for my clinic appointments, so maybe you would also be entitled to time off for this?
I think it would be best to tell them but it is up to you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most employers will have some sort of induction process where lots of "stuff" is discussed, and information delivered. That'll probably cover things like loos, lunch breaks, who makes the coffee, and when, absence policy and what anyone unwell needs to do to let the business know they won't be attending, and so on. At some point, I'm sure they might ask if you have any questions, or anything you want to say. That might be your opportunity.

As a T2, who is controlling by diet and exercise, I wouldn't feel the need to disclose anything to an employer (unless asked directly. I wouldn't lie). However, as a T1, who will need to test and inject during the day, I would be inclined to let someone know. Leaving aside a hypo/hyper situation, it could be alarming for an unsuspecting colleague to notice you injecting. They might add 2 + 2 and make a whole drug abuse conclusion.

I wouldn't make a big announcement, just mention you are diabetic, and have been for a long time, and stress (provided it's true) that it's just a part of your daily life. They may then have some questions of their own about what they might need to know if things go askew for you. People are, generally, nice and I'm sure they will be looking forward to you starting there, just as you are.

Good luck in your new job. It's an exciting time, and a big step in terms of building yourself a successful and independent life.

G

graj0

I would be completely open and frank with my new employer, saying nothing might be construed as trying to hide something. If they've never been in a position where a staff member has had diabetes, they'd certainly appreciate being told. It's essential in case you have a hypo and they would definitely appreciate being aware of how to help. I remember a colleague who didn't tell our boss that he was type I and when he had a hypo and was really right out of it, the manager was telling people that he was drunk, he could smell it on his breath. I knew he hadn't been drinking and I smelled almonds anyway and thought it might be diabetes (way before my diagnosis), it was. Have a look at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-jobs-faqs.html there's possibly some things that we might not have thought about.

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most employers will have some sort of induction process where lots of "stuff" is discussed, and information delivered. That'll probably cover things like loos, lunch breaks, who makes the coffee, and when, absence policy and what anyone unwell needs to do to let the business know they won't be attending, and so on. At some point, I'm sure they might ask if you have any questions, or anything you want to say. That might be your opportunity.

As a T2, who is controlling by diet and exercise, I wouldn't feel the need to disclose anything to an employer (unless asked directly. I wouldn't lie). However, as a T1, who will need to test and inject during the day, I would be inclined to let someone know. Leaving aside a hypo/hyper situation, it could be alarming for an unsuspecting colleague to notice you injecting. They might add 2 + 2 and make a whole drug abuse conclusion.

I wouldn't make a big announcement, just mention you are diabetic, and have been for a long time, and stress (provided it's true) that it's just a part of your daily life. They may then have some questions of their own about what they might need to know if things go askew for you. People are, generally, nice and I'm sure they will be looking forward to you starting there, just as you are.

Good luck in your new job. It's an exciting time, and a big step in terms of building yourself a successful and independent life.

Thank you so much, i appreciate it :) I can relate to everything you said, so when the time comes I will let him know.. thanks again

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You should most definitely tell your new employer about your diabetes for the reasons stated already, they won't hold it against you and will be happy that you've made them aware of your condition in the event that you become ill at work.

Anyway, good luck with the new job Jelaca and hope it all works out well :)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi, this is a very timely topic! I started a new job 4 months ago, I told my new boss on day one and then told my team, individually in the following week. A few people had some questions and/or experience but i emphasised that I was well
Controlled and I was telling them for safety reasons. Last week I had to fill in for my boss during an audit (an unprepared event) and I went hypo. The auditor was sitting in front of my desk drawer (where my jelly babies were!) and the longer I left it, the lower I got! It got to the point that the quality manager ended the meeting (not understanding what was happening as he didn't know!) I then pulled myself together, ate jelly babies and 15 mins later I was back on form. The quality manager came to see me (to complain, he thought i had experienced a 'melt down' because of the audit. I explained, carefully but firmly about being type 1and he seemed to understand. But then he said if he had to bring the auditor back he would see someone else! I objected and said I was the most senior person in the dept and that would be inappropriate. He left. That night I shed a few years, cringed a bit and then longed for the day that everyone was a bit more understanding! Tell your boss, he may surprise you ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck Jelaca in your new job :), Just be honest, simple as that. You will be so much happier in the work environment. Like a previous member suggested something in writing may be better in the long run and help you avoid that shy thing you are worried about.