Wanting to make bolognese are these ingerdients ok to use?

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
The thing with me is I'll have an idea, think it's good, slave away cooking and at the en it tastes just god awful lol. The other week I tried to make an omelet. What a bleddy disaster that was! I had the idea of making a cheesy omelet with red peppers and onion as that was all we had in. So I mixed up my eggs whilst cooking my peppers and onion in the pan. Then I thought I'd add the cheese straight into the omelet mix. What a mistake! I put in waaaay too much grated cheddar so it was more bleddy cheese than egg then poured it over my peppers and onion. Then it just would not cook like eggs normally do and just sort of separated into this vomit looking mess of grease from the cheese, melted cheese with a tiny bit of egg. I kept stirring thinking ok I'll make scrambled eggs with it but oh no that didn't work. It smelled and looked like cheesy runny vomit with bits in it at the end! I attempted to eat it but could only manage two bites and that was it. In the bleddy bin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
So it's simmering away on a low heat to get the flavours going. I just had a taste and it's RANK!!!! It has this weird taste to it. Jut horrible. I just chucked in a load of spices hoping to rescue it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The thing with me is I'll have an idea, think it's good, slave away cooking and at the en it tastes just god awful lol. The other week I tried to make an omelet. What a bleddy disaster that was! I had the idea of making a cheesy omelet with red peppers and onion as that was all we had in. So I mixed up my eggs whilst cooking my peppers and onion in the pan. Then I thought I'd add the cheese straight into the omelet mix. What a mistake! I put in waaaay too much grated cheddar so it was more bleddy cheese than egg then poured it over my peppers and onion. Then it just would not cook like eggs normally do and just sort of separated into this vomit looking mess of grease from the cheese, melted cheese with a tiny bit of egg. I kept stirring thinking ok I'll make scrambled eggs with it but oh no that didn't work. It smelled and looked like cheesy runny vomit with bits in it at the end! I attempted to eat it but could only manage two bites and that was it. In the bleddy bin!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cheese just gets crumbled over the top of the omelette whilst in the pan and then you grill it under a hot grill, when it's bubbling just turn it out on a plate and fold it over if you want.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a meeeeeaaaannn Bolognese;)
Couple of things I go by are to dry fry lean steak mince, anything that's producing a brown foam or oily slime is carp meat and your palate won't thank you for the oily residue.
Secondly Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce is a given.
Ditch the stock cubes sand season with coarsely ground black pepper and sea salt.
Piccolino or beef tomatoes are favoured as they give out more tomato flavour than it's watery counterparts.
You're a capsaicin fan if you like your chilli heat, so consider a green jalapeno sauce added as the sweetness to heat will react well with the overall dish.
I'm largely eating vegetarian myself, but I do it for the Kids.
Never ever use quorn. Beans are much better with coarsely chopped seasonal mushrooms.:cool:
Parmesan shavings will add another welcome contrast in both flavour and texture to the whole dish.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I ate it, it was ok I suppose but nothing special. And I've got 3 more portions to go in the freezer :-( I don't think I like oregano, I never usually use that and I don't like the taste. Now to test in two hours. I'm not convinced 100% I am diabetic after this mornings low reading of 3.7. Maybe the high blood sugar was a one off?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Consider Basil over Oregano, marvellous herb. Plus cooking with fresh Tom's has a wealth of health benefits.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Consider Basil over Oregano, marvellous herb. Plus cooking with fresh Tom's has a wealth of health benefits.
I do usually use basil as I love it. That's how I rescued it a bit. I bunged in a load of dried basil and some paprika and chilli powder to mask the taste lol.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
So it's simmering away on a low heat to get the flavours going. I just had a taste and it's RANK!!!! It has this weird taste to it. Jut horrible. I just chucked in a load of spices hoping to rescue it.
Did you follow a recipe?

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
No just made it up.
Well its trial and error then. If you are not used to cooking something it is unlikely you would get it right first time.
Try some fried chopped bacon in it next time and serve with parmesan.
The Worcestershire sauce is as someone said before is also essential for me.

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad food, junk food, processed food.
Just for the record, i love garlic as much as the next person but it needs to be cooked properly. I even love a french dish called chick with 40 cloves of garlic which actually contains 40 cloves of garlic.
Your description of cooking the omelette was great. But i suggest you try following recipes for a while until you learn how to cook. And maybe do a cooking class or two.

OP if you don't like an ingredient like oregano, then don't use. perhaps you put too much of it in. Dried herbs are quite potent and have a big impact on a dish so i only use a pinch to 1 flat tsp depending on what i'm cooking and how much.

bob2025

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes - may it burn in hell !!!
Pointless clock change back to GMT - too dark
Politicians and other petty administrators
HI.
What a coincidence. I was speaking to a doctor during a recent visit.
And I mentioned my love for spaghetti bolognese. He said that I could eat a moderate amount of pasta.
But it needed to be 'al dente' - which I thought was something to do with opera.
However, I later found out it means 'under cooked'.
So what I can figure out under cooked pasta 'may' be ok. Cooked or over cooked (soggy) pasta bad to very bad.
Obviously, whole meal.

Reactions: 3 people