Fed Up of Diet?

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Well, I am getting fed up now. I am several months in on this LCHF diet. I keep having more and more days when I am really miffed that I can't eat this and that. Is this normal? Am I just feeling sorry for myself?

We are a family of four in this house. My teens are always eating and my husband is a bit if a scoffer. I do the food order every week for delivery and there's a clear divide in the sort of foods I order. My boring lot of stuff and their wonderful indulge yourself stuff. Mine looks like an advert for a health freak, theirs just looks...well...normal! Before you say it, no, they won't just eat my foods to be healthier, they would turn their noses up at a lot of the things I eat.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I am watching Tv and I get the taste for something that I used to eat. It might be a Snickers, a couple of doorstoppers, a bowl of crumble and custard, a sausage roll - you get the gist? Then I get sad. I sit and just feel sad. I wonder if I will ever have some of these things again and then I feel angry. Don't know who I am angry with! It's made worse by the fact that I don't fit your typical picture. Shocks still there a bot I guess.

Will these cravings ever go away? The other day it got so bad I actually had an inkling to forget LCHF and just eat anything I want. I thought, is it worth feeling this miserable. Then I remembered amputations and my bad only kidney function and it woke me up....only til the next time though.

How have you handled this if you have got in this mindset?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think most of us have gone thru that phase but it does ease. It's disappointing that your family aren't helping you; they could at least compromise. Snacking is very much a post world war thing due to intensive marketing so things like Snickers etc are best ignored. May be you can adjust some of the things you like. My wife still does crumble but uses wholemeal flour and Canderel instead of sugar; custard could be the same. I do have sausage rolls at parties but they are an exception. When shopping try to avoid buying things like biscuits if you can get away with it. Just keep telling yourself, and them, that their 'wonderful indulge yourself stuff' is unhealthy and stuffed full of carbs and the result of heavy marketing. I hope you win thru.

Reactions: 2 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I think most of us have gone thru that phase but it does ease. It's disappointing that your family aren't helping you; they could at least compromise. Snacking is very much a post world war thing due to intensive marketing so things like Snickers etc are best ignored. May be you can adjust some of the things you like. My wife still does crumble but uses wholemeal flour and Canderel instead of sugar; custard could be the same. I do have sausage rolls at parties but they are an exception. When shopping try to avoid buying things like biscuits if you can get away with it. Just keep telling yourself, and them, that their 'wonderful indulge yourself stuff' is unhealthy and stuffed full of carbs and the result of heavy marketing. I hope you win thru.

Thanks. I am one of those people where health is concerned, that if I am going to make changes I do really mean it - no half measures with me. See, I wonder of people who are already type 2 diabetic and might be on medication, are more likely to have the odd sausage roll or a bit of custard than me. I don;t mean that in a bad way, it's just that I haven't actually got diabetes, I am prediabetic. My goal is to ward off full blown diabetes for as long as possible - hopefully forever, who knows. I am trying to stop diabetes happening whilst diabetics are trying to keep their BG at a reasonable level ( for a diabetic). Does that make sense? I wonder if they have a slight false sense of security because meds is helping their situation. I only really have diet and exercise.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I do cook different foods for myself and family, I tell them if they want snacks they have to buy their own. Usually they don't bother, but if they do they are less likely to leave stuff lying around for me. My son is good in that he does low carb with me sometimes. I am like you and really mean to make changes but when I fail I usually do so spectacularly....... Today is yet another 'starting again' day for me!

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Omg I could have written this post. I can stick to low carb for a couple of days and then I guess the cravings start. Trying to also battle binge eating makes things more difficult. Despairing because been on insulin two weeks and put on 10lbs already. Can't see that low carb will work but I'm all fairness I don't really give it a chance.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crasper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I am one of those people where health is concerned, that if I am going to make changes I do really mean it - no half measures with me. See, I wonder of people who are already type 2 diabetic and might be on medication, are more likely to have the odd sausage roll or a bit of custard than me. I don;t mean that in a bad way, it's just that I haven't actually got diabetes, I am prediabetic. My goal is to ward off full blown diabetes for as long as possible - hopefully forever, who knows. I am trying to stop diabetes happening whilst diabetics are trying to keep their BG at a reasonable level ( for a diabetic). Does that make sense? I wonder if they have a slight false sense of security because meds is helping their situation. I only really have diet and exercise.
Hi. I'm T2 and control this just by diet. Just think of food as my medication - and yes sometimes is does get very difficult . But if I do eat something that I shouldn't my BS rises and I feel ill. A family member who is on insulin said that it's easier for him - he'll eat what he wants and adjusts his insulin accordingly. Don't think that's the right attitude either ! My husband had just realised how food does effect me after being poorly on the weekend and has started apologising when snacking .........

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

Google:
low carb treats
Low carb snacks
Low carb desert
I think you get the idea. Just put low carb and what you are looking for
There is no need to feel deprived and you will also find that your taste will change and you will spit out a snickers as it tastes yucky sweet

An example how taste changes is pomegranate syrup and Greek yoghurt, I love the sour-sweet taste

Last edited by a moderator:

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

Google:
low carb treats
Low carb snacks
Low carb desert
I think you get the idea. Just put low carb and what you are looking for
There is no need to feel deprived and you will also find that your taste will change and you will spit out a snickers as it tastes yucky sweet

Thanks for the advice :)

An example how taste changes is pomegranate syrup and Greek yoghurt, I love the sour-sweet taste

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Whoops replied in the wrong place Jack.
Thanks for the advice :)

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Hi. I'm T2 and control this just by diet. Just think of food as my medication - and yes sometimes is does get very difficult . But if I do eat something that I shouldn't my BS rises and I feel ill. A family member who is on insulin said that it's easier for him - he'll eat what he wants and adjusts his insulin accordingly. Don't think that's the right attitude either ! My husband had just realised how food does effect me after being poorly on the weekend and has started apologising when snacking .........

I am trying at all time to keep my BG under 7 if I can. If it goes over I feel bad, not physically but mentally. randomly I will eat something I have eaten half a dozen times before with no problems and suddenly my BG is way higher. I double check to see if it's my meter. I prick a different finger, I'd do anything to blame something other than the food I just ate that hasn't affected me like that before. Diabetes is a common condition these days but I am scared to get it. I wouldn't be as scared if I had two kidneys and no kidney disease.

Recently, some days I have not tested which is weird for me. I just needed a break from the stress of it.

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
it's hard to get the mind in the right place, i had a hard time at first, it is so much better now, i made crumble with almond flour and scones, just got soy flour made yorkshire pudding on sunday. I'm lucky my husband is eating the same, he loves the sliced cabbage onion and parmesan cooked in cream in the oven, he has lost 2stone so very happy.
i just got Dr Bernstiens book he says if you had a nut allergy you wouldn't keep eating nuts, so you can get through this and it can get better, what you feel you miss look for a low carb alternative the answers are out there.
try these http://lowcarbcoach.com/peanut-butter-fat-bombs/ bet your family will beg for them.

keep strong and don't give up Jill

Reactions: 3 people

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone feel like they need to send all free time in the kitchen when going low carb. I do like cooking and most days i cook dinner from scratch and then the weekends I am cooking stuff to have available for the week. And with having to log everything it just takes forever :-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am already T2 and take a couple of met a day. To be honest it doesn't do much for bg, most of that work is done in the kitchen. I find fear to be the best motivator to stay on track.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am also Type 2, no meds at all. My motivation comes from within myself. I am ultra competitive, always have been, and I am now competing against my BS levels. I keep graphs of my levels and am so annoyed with myself if one of the blocks on the graphs goes above my personal target and spoils the trend line! I also keep an excel spread sheet of all my readings. Any above target are coloured red. Those below are coloured green. I just hate to see red ones and am so happy after a few days of all green! OK I've got OCD about this, but its a great motivator for me and keeps me off the streets!

My aim is to stay off meds of any description for as long as I can, and that includes for other ailments. Most of my friends are on some med or other, as many are at my age. I had enough poison injected into my body in 2013 to last a life time.

Reactions: 3 people

paul251

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with you the diet can be pretty boring! I only have limited carbs I don't do bread or potatoes. I have porrige in the morning and that is my only carb. I'm choosy about my proteins though nothing processed I eat a lot of venison, fish, chicken and pork tenderloin as it has less fat than chicken. I do like smoked salmon too! To excite it up I make a home made ratatoille, fresh steamed greens, onions, salads as well. My cholesterol is 3.1 My HB1C is 7.5 I have serious issues with keeping it down not for the want of trying. My main problem is insulin I recently had to increase the dosage and have put on 4 kgs in 3 months. I am fully aware of portion size as well! But what bugs me is hw patronising Dr's and diabetic nurses can be. Thinking the BMI is sacresanct. My body fat levels are low!

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I agree with you the diet can be pretty boring! I only have limited carbs I don't do bread or potatoes. I have porrige in the morning and that is my only carb. I'm choosy about my proteins though nothing processed I eat a lot of venison, fish, chicken and pork tenderloin as it has less fat than chicken. I do like smoked salmon too! To excite it up I make a home made ratatoille, fresh steamed greens, onions, salads as well. My cholesterol is 3.1 My HB1C is 7.5 I have serious issues with keeping it down not for the want of trying. My main problem is insulin I recently had to increase the dosage and have put on 4 kgs in 3 months. I am fully aware of portion size as well! But what bugs me is hw patronising Dr's and diabetic nurses can be. Thinking the BMI is sacresanct. My body fat levels are low!

I think that's partly my problem. I am bored by the same old. I need to broaden my food scope. I have been eating a ton of cauliflower and broccoli and just found out they are high on the 'wind' producing list. I have been suffering with a lot of excessive wind for ages. So bad that it makes me feel like I can't breathe. So, my list of foods keeps reducing to allow other conditions to ease.

It's also been expensive. I have just bought some organic coconut oil but it don't come cheap. I know, what's money when it comes to health?
I need to feel like I am indulging myself now and again. I was able to eat a couple of slices of Burgen a day but now it seems my BG is rising steadily on that. I don't like Livelife bread. I tried to.
I don;t like oatmeal. I tried to. Full fat yoghurt increases my acid problem. I seem to spike on berries. I found pork scratchings and felt 'naughty' eating a packet of them now and again, but now I am fed up of them.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Creamed mushrooms, cauli with cheese sauce, made with philly and cream. Low sugar jelly with berries in and clotted cream. Scotch eggs baked in the oven, chicken curry with cream in. A few ideas. I'm no cook but I can get something up and running quite quickly.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
As other posters have mentioned not all T2 diabetics take medication, many of us are diet and exercise controlled.

I do same as @Bluetit1802 keep a record of meter readings to maintain control of BG levels.

I also have my own recipe booklet, I copy any low carb recipes I see and add to my folder, so I have inspiration. There are some very yummy things you can make that don't taste low carb or diet foods.

I know many people who are bored and stuck in a rut with their eating - you don't have to be on a diet of following low carb for that to happen! One person i know has same thing each week, so family know which foods they have and in which order :bored: I once suggested she serve wednesdays meal on a Monday to see what happened :)

have a look on low carb forums to find low/lower carb alternatives to your 'old' food.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that's partly my problem. I am bored by the same old. I need to broaden my food scope.

That's it in a nutshell.

I have two red meat days, two poultry days, two fish days and one vegetarian day per week. Each day is different. That forces me to think of recipes. Most are very easy but you do need to plan and have stuff in. For example, yesterday I had a fairly cheap cut of pork steak and beat it with a tenderiser so it would fry quickly. I rubbed paprika and cayenne pepper into it and left it whilst I prepared some veg.

For the sauce I cut red pepper, onion into long strips and chopped some celery very finely. Sprayed with oil it get fried until softened along with one or two sliced tomatoes and som paprika powder and cayenned pepper. I also boil two small spuds and some swede cut into small pieces.

Add a little chicken stock to the softened veg and start to simmer it whilst the steak gets fried on a high heat. When the spuds are ready, mash them with the swede. Serve the steak with the mashed potato and swede with the softened veggies on the steak and mash. Its an satisfying meal and the only real carbs are in the potatoes but, there are only two, they are small and bulked up by the swede. If after tresting you found this was too much, try one of the alternatives which people post on the forum. On the photo below, they have skipped the spuds altogether and appear to have added some shallots.

Zigeuner.jpg

Have a look at some indian, chinese and italian recipes. Many can be adapted. Just plan and keep lots of spices in the cupboard. One pot and slow cooking recipes also keep variety.

A

AnnieC

As a prediabetic perhaps you are being to strict with yourself. I am prediabetic mysefl and have just cut out the starchy carbs and sugar stuff I don't eat much meat but do have most fruit and vegetables. I never had much of a sweet tooth so don't really crave that but I do allow myself a treat sometimes....one guilty pleasure is chips... I don't believe in stopping forever everything I enjoyed that just makes us miserable so I have it as a treat but in moderation

Last edited: