Hello

Bullsfan

Dislikes
Smokers, Intollerance
Hi everyone. My name is Andrew, I'm 42 and was diagnosed as type 2 last sept. My blood sugar was 22.8, prescribed metformin 500 3 times daily. This was increased to metformin 850 3 times and gliclazide once daily, when my sugar level increased to 23.9. I also have blood pressure tablets. I attended a desmond session, which taught me quite a lot of why docs tell us to do certain things, but that is no fun when all my work collegues get bacon and egg sandwhiches on a morning! It makes my limp chicken salad sandwhich look a bit sorry ! Anyway I like the look of this forum and look forward to moving forward with this condition and getting it under controll. Thanks, Andrerw

C

catherinecherub

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum.
There are several methods of diet control that people on this forum use to control their blood sugars. Have a good look around the boards and then ask as many questions as you like.
Have you been supplied with a meter and test strips? These are essential tools to see what foods you neeed to avoid and what foods are acceptable to you personally. Everyone is different as to what they can and cannot eat. The starchy carbohydrates are the worst offenders, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and some starchy vegetables including parsnips. It may mean reducing your portions or cutting them out altogether.
Regards,
Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Andrew
Those numbers do sound a bit high.
Have you tried the alternative approach of eating less carbohydrate?
I know the medics usually tell you to eat plenty to keep your blood sugar steady. It will do that. Steady, but high. If you don't consume as much, your body and your medicaion have far less to deal with. look on the food threads on this forum. Some people manage on the Gi diet.
For either strategy, you need reference books. The Gi diet by Rick Gallop or Collins Little Gem calorie book, which gives carbs as well. If you are not clear on what carbs are, look on my Carbohydrates 101&102 sticky threads.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Welcome Andrew.
Hope you soon manage to get things under control.
The previous comments are 100% correct. I can vouch for that. However you will definitely find other views on here as well. Like they say - try it and see.
cheers
Ken

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum.you could have the bacon and egg sandwich but throw away the bread!!bit messy i know but the fact is that the bacon and egg has very few carbs in it and is better than cereal etc.

Have a good read round the forum and you will find a lot of confusing info on diets because there are many ways to get control of your blood sugar.They all have one thing in common though,reducing the amount of carbs that you eat.Find the one that makes sense to you and fits your lifestyle.Have a go at it.This is not just a diet but a change of lifestyle forever ,so getting the right one that you are comfortable with is important. Ask questions if there is something that you do not understand.There's always someone with an answer.

PRINNY

hi andrew, sue is right i have been diabetic for 4 years and since joining the website i have took advice and started low carbing, the only thing i have trouble giving up is fruit so i still have some but monitor my bs levels to see if any give me a high reading, i find apples dont have any effect, but i have to be careful with grapes so i dont have too many,its just finding what works for you, my weight is coming down too! all the best, prinny.

Bullsfan

Dislikes
Smokers, Intollerance
Thanks to everyone for your answers, I will give the low carb approach a try. I arnt the biggest fan of fruit, but love my veg! I was ( probably like most of my generation ) brought up on ' fill up on bread/ potatoes if your hungry' ! Something I will have to change. The thing I am finding hardest is to avoid a few pints after watching my team get beaten (again !) My gran always told me that we should eat everything in moderation, I think that was probably the wisest thing that I dindnt heed, that explains why my bmi became 38!
I havent been given a meter or strips, appatr from some urine strips for when the nurse asked me to keep a check incase there was any keytones showing. She wasnt entirely sure that I was type 2 so she asked me to test each morning for a month.

Again thanks for your support, Andrew

Trinkwasser