Eating out - Low carb

nash

Dislikes
I hate Hypo's because I just then get on a roller coaster and i can't get off!
Hi

I'm on insulin pump and am just finding confidence that I can no carb or low carb and my BS stays stable but if you eat out for lunch or dinner what would you choose off the menu?
I'm also interested how people fit in low carb diets at home with Hungry husbands and children without having to cook several different meals - or do you just miss out on the carb part of the meal or have small portion?

Looking forward to finding out how other people do it.

Nash

sandiegirl

Hi Nash,
I am on my 4th week of low carbing and am beginning to get my head round it now. Have lost 12lbs so far and my morning bs have gone down from an average of 12-15 to 4.7 this morning! I am on Novorapid and Lantus and have managed to reduce these down from 26 units of Novorapid 3times a day to 10 units 3times a day, and 56 units of Lantus down to 30 units. So things are beginning to work for me!

I have a teenage daughter and a partner to feed and to be honest, it was tought the first week or so trying to sort out meals, but now, I just dont eat the carbs when I do dinner. I havent had any bread, potatoes, rice or pasta in the last 3 weeks. If I do a curry, I have vegetables with it, yesterday I madee a beef bourgignon with potatos for them and loads of vegetables for me. If we have steak or chops, I have mushrooms and a salad. My favourite meal is baked camembert with crusty bread for my beloved and asparagus spears for me to dip into it - delicious!!

I think once you have got over the loss of not eating potatoes etc you suddenly realise that you dont actually miss them and when you can see the benefits, its just a no-brainer!

Good luck Nash with the lo-carbing.... if I can do it, anyone can!

Take care,
Sandie

Trinkwasser

DON'T WEAKEN!

On occasion I can eat more carbs than others and get away with it. Last friday's lunch was not one of those times.

We have several pubs and restaurants that concentrate on fish and also provide decent salads, that usually works. You can ask for more salad or vegetables to replace the inevitable chips or rice, or if the worst comes to the worst leave the carby stuff on your plate. Thai and some Chinese restaurants are significantly less carb=focussed than others, but watch out for sugar and starch in the sauces.

As a Type 2 with a low but long drawn out insulin output I can actually manage small portions of pizza diluted with salad and washed down with red wine but that sort of slow carb meal can be a nightmare for Type 1s to bolus for

nash

Dislikes
I hate Hypo's because I just then get on a roller coaster and i can't get off!
Thanks for your help.

i have been seriously trying to "be good" (when I say good I mean no snacking in between meals) for the last few weeks which has resulted in low carbing quite by accident really....but I can see it does work and does mean much better BS throughout the day and importantly at night. I have lost about 4 lbs too so I can see the benefits I have just really got to stick to the adjusted style of eating and enjoy all those scrummy vegetables and salads.....but I love chips and pasta too!

if you went to Sainsbury's for lunch (which is what I did today...had kids and they were hungry), what would you choose?

sixfoot

Nash dont complicate it !! If you simply avoid the big 5 like the plague pretty much anything else is on the menu. If you fancy it but arnt sure simply have a smaller portion but test as soon as you can.

Dave P

Grumpy

I'm on the road all day in my job, and the simplest thing is to dart into a supermarket and grab something offthe shelf. If sarnies (my usual) are a no-no, what should I get instead? I'm a relatively new T2 and still trying to get my head round it. I'm not a 'get up at 6am and prepare a tupperware box of salad' type of person. I'm not too fond of eating hedge anyway, I prefer a sarnie. So what's legal? And quick? And can be eaten with one hand?:)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The night before cut up some cheese into sticks,wrap in ham,chuck in some cherry tomatoes or whatever salad type veg you do like.Stick into Tupperware and grab in the morning.Can be eaten with one hand as well.

You could also add boiled eggs,cold chicken drumsticks,etc etc.

sixfoot

Grumpy ........... Fact of life im afraid. I drive on Agency when they`ve got something. Yes its a prob but obviously you can only pick from what they have on the shelf. Pepperami are a good stand by if you just have to have something. Otherwise ill go for the cooked meats and a tub of coleslaw.

Keep rolling
Dave P

Grumpy

Actually, the metformin makes me not hungry, but today I did as you suggested, and had some ham washed down with a smoothie. Nice!