The Good Things of being Diabetic

madperson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish-ugh & rudeness
Like others have posted, I now know that I can ditch the low cal diet for a low carb one which is much simpler to manage. We well aware of the downside but for now I going to grow old disgracefully!!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
having type 2 has made me more aware of my health. Been diagnosed less than a year and lost 3 stone but now am struggling and have put on a stone. But getting free prescriptions is good

Ramonajoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in March, 2009 after becoming very ill at Christmas time in 2008. I weighed over 17 stone, and although I was very happy in my marriage, career and life in general, this was the wake up call I needed. Rather than treating this like a death sentence, I decided to make lifestyle changes immediately. Whilst I was at my surgery, I saw there was a notice about "Activity for Life" a 12 week fitness programme ran by the NHS at my local gym. I signed up for it, and a nurse met me there, took my measurements and started me on a fitness routine. I also changed my eating and drinking habits buy cutting out most treats, reducing portion sizes, and cutting out sugary drinks and alcohol. I took my meds. \

After having volunteered as a Gamesmaker for the Olympic and Paralympic games, I was so inspired I decided to start running. A friend of mine told me about park run which is held all over the UK and 8 other countries. Another friend sent me a link of a news story that they were going to start a park run at my local park, Cuerden Valley in Lancashire, so I went to the very first one and I have been running ever since, and just completed my 34th run. . We meet up every Saturday at 9am and run 5K. It's free, times and people of all ages and fitness levels take part. We meet up for tea and coffee and even have biscuits and cake afterwards at the Barn (visitor centre) It has been a life changing experience for me, and I have never been happier.

I have run several 10K races for Diabetes UK, and they recently asked me if I could share my story in local papers as I have lost over 7.5 stone and I hope to help raise awareness of the condition and inspire others to get more active and live healthier lifestyles.My story was featured in Lancashire Evening Post, Lancashire Telegraph and Chorley Guardian. When Diabetes UK sent out the press release they were contacted by Good Housekeeping Magazine who fell in love with my story and a couple of weeks ago they sent me by train to London for a posh photo shoot. I have been interviewed and they will feature my story in the October issue which goes on sale in September. It's about 4 inspirational women, and I am honoured to say that I am one of them.

This is the best thing that ever happened to me because. I have never been so focused, so driven and so determined to live a long, healthy and happy life. I have attached photos of the papers, but they can also be found online. I hope to motivate and inspire you all, but mostly I would love to learn more about your stories so that we can help one another!

Attachments

• IMG_7249.JPG
    IMG_7249.JPG
    648.1 KB · Views: 217
  • 10383832_10152493790293708_8800251049807933608_o.jpg
    10383832_10152493790293708_8800251049807933608_o.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 10300301_10152493800623708_1821084736335991554_n.jpg
    10300301_10152493800623708_1821084736335991554_n.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 173

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Errrrr ... what's good about having a life threatening/limiting disease ... errrr ... I might get back to you .....

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Jack, it's not the condition itself but how you deal with it. Sometimes it takes something bad to produce something good. Some will look for the negative and complain about their diabetes and have a "why me" attitude, others will make some positive changes and decisions which may have otherwise never happened. I guess it's just different mentality. I see your point, just differently.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm with Jack on this one. I'm not complaining or saying "why me?" I just don't see anything good about being diabetic.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Jack, it's not the condition itself but how you deal with it. Sometimes it takes something bad to produce something good. Some will look for the negative and complain about their diabetes and have a "why me" attitude, others will make some positive changes and decisions which may have otherwise never happened. I guess it's just different mentality. I see your point, just differently.

I do have lots of very positive and happy things in my life but ... I aint going to pretend diabetes has any good points.
If anything changes I'll be back in this thread like a shot!

Reactions: 5 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I do have lots of very positive and happy things in my life but ... I aint going to pretend diabetes has any good points.
If anything changes I'll be back in this thread like a shot!
We're all different Jack :)
Well, you found this forum so that's a small positive lol :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because of the dietary changes I made to reduce my BG levels, I no longer have IBS, reflux, hypertension, hypothyroid, depression and Vitamin D deficiency. Losing all these nasties has made the quality of my life so much better, that I guess I'm glad I was diagnosed as Type 2 - it was the wake up call I needed to get my health and weight under control. I wouldn't go back to feeling the way I felt at diagnosis for quids :D

Reactions: 3 people

andy1971

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
peas and doctors... well you asked!
Ok I feel like you all got a prize and I didn't... I'm not negative about having diabetes but there's nothing at all good about it either...

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok I feel like you all got a prize and I didn't... I'm not negative about having diabetes but there's nothing at all good about it either...

I agree @andy1971
In an earlier post I said there is nothing good about having diabetes. I reiterate that.

Yes, I get it that some people have changed lifestyle and diet so feel better, and that they are communicating with some really nice people on here, but diabetes has just been another impairment to add to a list.
AND I don't have a 'why me' attitude either, I just think it is a nuisance that I have to get on with.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Because of the dietary changes I made to reduce my BG levels, I no longer have IBS, reflux, hypertension, hypothyroid, depression and Vitamin D deficiency. Losing all these nasties has made the quality of my life so much better, that I guess I'm glad I was diagnosed as Type 2 - it was the wake up call I needed to get my health and weight under control. I wouldn't go back to feeling the way I felt at diagnosis for quids :D
Sounds like a god positive outcome.

steven taylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
best thing about being diabetic (type 1) is being in touch with my inner caveman... I really don't think you have lived until you have stumbled out of bed and down the stairs at 3 am with a massive hypo (having ignored the sweets next to you) and opened a fridge full of highly appropriate food and gone instead for the raw potato....

fortunately not done that for a while....:)

Reactions: 6 people

steven taylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
best thing about being diabetic (type 1) is being in touch with my inner caveman... I really don't think you have lived until you have stumbled out of bed and down the stairs at 3 am with a massive hypo (having ignored the sweets next to you) and opened a fridge full of highly appropriate food and gone instead for the raw potato....

On a more serious note - I was diagnosed at 17 (type 1) and am now 34 - so that's precisely half my life.

Since I was diagnosed I have:

- been to university
- got a professional qualification and a great job
- got married
- got two amazing children
- bought a nice house
- drunk nowhere near as much beer

I'm not saying any of that wouldn't have happened without diabetes - but it helps me keep things in perspective....

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have talked about this a while back..........
but have thought a little differently reading Stevens positive post:-

I had my darling daughter at 42 1/2, yrs
Brought her up, relatively on my own,
worked
went to college in 1998 and got an NVQ 2 in Office administration in 1999
A carer for my elderly dad
Many illnesses and medical conditions along the way
My granddaughter happy, healthy and alive after fighting for her life, diagnosed with Type 1 at 2 1/2 yrs old
Enjoying my job as a self employed handy person/home help and working outside :)
and finally finding a little glimmer of happiness in my life and feeling good :happy:

RRB

Reactions: 4 people

Misteraa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think those focussing on the negatives are not realising the inevitability of life itself.
Life is a terminal illness, but a lot of us gloss over that every day trying not to think about it.

Having my diagnosis has made me face up to it, it has made me realise that quality of life is very important, but essentially, we are all going to pop our clogs one way or another, and having this diagnosis has hopefully made my clog popping less painful. :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I had kids I had a shop of my own I had this that and even the other ... before I had diabetes!
Diabetes isn't something that helped you have a job a family etc ... that's what everyone does.
I don't dwell on the negative either.
There is nothing positive about having an ilness ... any illness.
I got a bad cold it got me a week off work whooppeee!
I lost a leg to diabetes now I've learnt to hop ... I never even tried before .... come on folks.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had kids I had a shop of my own I had this that and even the other ... before I had diabetes!
Diabetes isn't something that helped you have a job a family etc ... that's what everyone does.
I don't dwell on the negative either.
There is nothing positive about having an ilness ... any illness.
I got a bad cold it got me a week off work whooppeee!
I lost a leg to diabetes now I've learnt to hop ... I never even tried before .... come on folks.
You are so right
I had successful marriage, lovely family, successful career, top student in my year , first class honours degree, (mature student after child rearing), super-duper salary. Then got diabetes, still have happy marriage, lovely grown up family, but the career and lucrative salary went up the Swanee!
Give me health over any 'benefit' of having diabetes!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
You don't really know you have health till you don't.
Spine ... never gave it a second thought but I've knackered it that much I am aware of it constantly.
Anything good about having a knackered spine?
Yeah it made me realise I have one!
cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

andy1971

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
peas and doctors... well you asked!

Haha that's it bang on!