Newly diagnosed Type 2 a week ago

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good reading again. Your game of football may well not do your levels any good, but you do need to test it. If you are struggling to get the 2 hour reading in, try a 1 hour. It is equally relevant. Then if you still awake, do the 2 hour as well.

@Bluetit1802
Why would playing football not be good for my levels? I thought the exercise would be good for me?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exercise is good for you, long term. Sometimes blood glucose levels rise temporarily immediately after exercise.

Confusing isn't it?

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
........... and the effects can last a few hours. If you exercise when your glucose levels are at base, your liver may dump glucose once you start to exercise as those muscles need it. Similar to the dawn phenomenon when your liver provides the energy for you to start the day.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, forgot to mention I have a small snack about an hour before exercise.

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, interesting stuff. So got in from football and BG was 5.4. I have just eaten a big dinner of chicken casserole, carrots broccoli and enough Brussel sprouts to sink a battle ship. If I am still awake in an hour or so will re do the BG test and let you know......

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The 5.4 is brilliant after a game of football, or were you standing around not doing much? ;) Your liver must have gone to sleep!

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tbh I ran my fat **** off. Sine I have been exercising more, no booze and low carbs I feel like I really have to push it hard to optimise any weight loss. I can honestly say it's probably the hardest I have worked during a game in a couple of months!
If 5.4 is good then I am happy I am going in the right direction with my BG tests

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so hour and a half after the eating and it's now 11.30pm. Final BG of the day 5.2
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1406241444.105963.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here's some more numbers for today 5.2 post breakfast. 5.6 post lunch 4.6 pre exercise, 5.5 post exercise. Just eaten dinner so will do another reading before bed. All these bloody needles and I am gluten for punishment, in for my fortnightly tattoo appointment tomorrow!!

Reactions: 2 people

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mm mm, 6.5 post dinner reading. Chicken breasts, salad and boiled eggs. Marginally higher than expected but still within the range of a non diabetic <7.7

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish!!! I still need to lose a shed load of weight and exercise more. Last Friday I was 105 kg or 16st 7llb in old money. Today I weighed myself after a 3.7 mile run and weighed 15st 9llb.

Not sure if I can ever be cured?? Just want to get down to a decent weight and be able manage it with diet and exercise

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.5 fasting this morning. I guess I should mention that I have not taken any metformin for the last 4 days. I am determined to do this on diet and exercise!!!

Reactions: 6 people

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today's readings 5,5 fasting, post lunch 6.5, post going to harvester for a mixed grill and salad 6.2. No metformin for 5 days!!!

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting this morning 5.5, skipped breakfast as got up late. Just did another test at 15.30 so again pre eating and post exercise 5.8arginal increase don't know if this is due to the liver dump of glucose after the exercise considering I have not eaten today yet??

Will post some number after dinner

Two weeks in and Man am I missing beer or what. Normally on a Sunday lunch time I would be in the pub for a few pints and a good few hours. Still, I guess the exercise is better for me, just not as enjoyable!!