Metformin hell

Patsy B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetis
well no problems yet but are there no alternatives to metforminmin I thought there was may be mistaken though!

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you know what the funny thing is I thought having fruit juice not cola, having jacket potatoes and pasta meals that I was being soooooo healthy I had no idea carbs converted into sugar I literally gave myself diabetes by trying to eat healthy, hows that for some serious mind rubbish.

Same here have never been a cola or similar drinks however I loved fresh orange juice there was I thinking its good for me one of my five a day and full of vitamin c, just goes to show how little I knew its amazing how many healthy! Foods are loaded with sugar turned out my favourite yoghurt was one third sugar.

Like patsy b I have no trouble with Metformin but I feel for those that do.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eating schite doesn't give you diabetes, please don't propagate the myth.
Google and read insulin resistance as a start

Reactions: 2 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eating schite doesn't give you diabetes, please don't propagate the myth.
Google and read insulin resistance as a start

However I came to have diabetes be it lifestyle choices or not it seems to me that no one who has posted in this thread is propagating any myth, did I say that eating schite gave me diabetes ?
All that was said was that many of the foods I considered to be reasonably healthy are not what they seem abet sugar content.

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
woah no need to be rude it was the doctor who told me it was diet related and NO ONE in my family has diabetes, only muggins here, what ever the cause it sucks and rather than chipping at each other we should just do as we are meant to and support each other because lord knows the medical "professionals" sure as hell wont.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry it does sound rude and directed, it wasn't meant that way. More the frustration of a dr saying it

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
yeah well I think she was saying it more as a fat jibe despite having hypothyroidism that causes dramatic weight gain and I have kept my weight down I am not a stick which is what the doctor wants so she digs at me she was positively thrilled when I had diabetes saying my bad diet had caused it, not a nice doctor....

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
First thing I would do is change doctor !!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Connie firstly I adore your dog is it a yorkie cause it reminds me of my own Biggles, also I am changing my doctor there is a lovely doctor who is on holiday for the next few weeks I am going to get my sugars low as possible to show them keto/lcfh diet works and then ask her for a blood test and a monitor so that I can monitor myself as i have weirdly lost faith in doctors, I also got a book "Diabetes. No thanks!" it is sooooooo good, I am really enjoying it and its bought to light a few truths that I didn't know about doctors and pharmaceutical companies ethics that I was oblivious to.
As of one day on the diet my stomach bloating is down, there has been NO stomach upset which given the fact I am eating eggs which I dont normally do is pretty weird for me, my mood is a hundred times better and my grandparents hugged me and said it was nice to have me back and not the monster and even let me have a new snake... I kinda love them my nick name is Medusa.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Medusalight , That's Fred he's a rescue dog from a Spanish dogs home ( we live in Spain). We have had him over 7 years and he was not a puppy when we got him. He's about cocker spaniel size so definitely not a Yorkie we love him to bits along with our French bulldog Lola.
Hope you sort out the metformin you really don't have to suffer . Have a good weekend

Janlyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on Mettformin for 5 years or more with no tummy problems THANK GOODNESS, but I do have itchy skin and scalp ;-((

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I have been on Mettformin for 5 years or more with no tummy problems THANK GOODNESS, but I do have itchy skin and scalp ;-((
have you asked a doctor about it?

Patsy B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetis
I also have had Hypothyroidism for many years... as for the doctor you use I would also change them....love reading this forum <3

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
well health has been much better no stomach issues getting so much done round the house, doctors refused blood sugar meter and since I dont know whats high or low I am just going by gut, the diet is strict but finding pickled veg, olives sundried tomatos a delisous spread eating way more greek style items as well as meat.
Got a new edition to the family a fuzzy mink called Oleg he is so much like a ferret! Anyway he is awesome and cheers me up and the small animal rescue I have is finally getting animals to some great homes so all is doing super well.

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
UPDATE- Well Doctors have just been unhelpful despite my bloods being "excellent" they still want me on the bloody pills honestly when I tell them how sick I was I am sure they think I am exaggerating and just keep saying "you should be on pills." pills are not the be all and end all, clearly to doctors they are.
Rehomed two guinea pigs, two hamsters, a snake and two lizard from our rescue and nothing else has come in which I am glad for, the mink is staying he is simply to cute and my dog in my picture and he get on and play like two puppies.
The diet is sooo much easier now, antipasti is delicous, greek food seems to be in the diet and bacon steaks are just OMG baby aubergines and sundried tomatos with mozerella are stunning and I am loving it as well as my health improving.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad or poor service
I had this problem and was eventually changed to the slow release type. My stomach is slightly better but I'm told that I don't tolerate metformin well and will just have to live with the problem