LCHF Rocks!

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to everyone who has encouraged me during the past 4 months when I commenced LCHF.

Today I had my 3 month review with the DN, who I have to say is absoutely lovely and unlike others here, I feel very fortunate. So todays results are..... Drumroll please.....:)

Weight loss since October (before starting Metformin) 8kg

Cholesterol: April: 5.3
July: 4.6

LDL : 2.2
HDL: 1.64
Trigs 1.7

HbA1c April: 63
July 59

Best news of all is that I have her approval to stay off statins, having negotiated myself a 4 month break while adjusting my diet.

Only downside is that she won't increase my prescription for extra testing strips, saying she thinks I'm becoming obsessive with testing and need to reduce to twice daily. She did make a good suggestion though, which was to alternate testing times over several days, ie one fasting, and once after lunch, then the following day, once after breakfast, and once before bed etc.

As I'm lucky to have 100 strips per month on prescription, so I'm not arguing with her and will continue to buy my own in between prescriptions.

Thanks again everyone for all the support, encouragement and inspiration. I'm now with LCHF for life

just off for a Starbucks Strawberries and Cream cooler to celebrate......!! NOT

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well done Diana, brilliant news. You must be dead chuffed. Those cholesterol results are remarkable and provided you stay away from Costa and Starbucks your HbA1c will continue to fall. ;) Big clap from me!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thank you to everyone who has encouraged me during the past 4 months when I commenced LCHF.

Today I had my 3 month review with the DN, who I have to say is absoutely lovely and unlike others here, I feel very fortunate. So todays results are..... Drumroll please.....:)

Weight loss since October (before starting Metformin) 8kg

Cholesterol: April: 5.3
July: 4.6

LDL : 2.2
HDL: 1.64
Trigs 1.7

HbA1c April: 63
July 59

Best news of all is that I have her approval to stay off statins, having negotiated myself a 4 month break while adjusting my diet.

Only downside is that she won't increase my prescription for extra testing strips, saying she thinks I'm becoming obsessive with testing and need to reduce to twice daily. She did make a good suggestion though, which was to alternate testing times over several days, ie one fasting, and once after lunch, then the following day, once after breakfast, and once before bed etc.

As I'm lucky to have 100 strips per month on prescription, so I'm not arguing with her and will continue to buy my own in between prescriptions.

Thanks again everyone for all the support, encouragement and inspiration. I'm now with LCHF for life

just off for a Starbucks Strawberries and Cream cooler to celebrate......!! NOT
See! Told you it works! Well done for staying the course! Big hug!
Can't believe the calories and sugar in one of those things! Prediabetic days I'd have had the cake as well! :rolleyes: Now if I'm feeling bad to the core, I have half an almond and raspberry bake! Lost water retention water so now back to 13 st 4.
Went for power walk before brekkie so am feeling virtuous!

Reactions: 2 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for your achievements so far! You are going in the right direction.
Can I suggest, that if you are short of testing strips or want to reduce the number of tests, that, rather than pick out unconnected occasions to test, that you perhaps concentrate on a particular meal and learn as much as you can about it. For example, test before and two hours after your evening meal, every day, until you find a range of meals which suit you and have minimal impact on blood sugars. The pre evening meal test will also tell you something about the effect of different afternoon activities - if any. Knowledge acquired can also be applied to other meal times.
At first, it is very tempting and possibly best to test at every possible occasion - as long as you keep a very detailed diary so that you can go back and look for patterns and learn from it all - but then later on, I think you should be asking yourself why you are testing and what it is you are trying to find out. (These remarks assume a T2, not on insulin or similar.)
We rarely test now. Only if experimenting with a new food stuff or trying to find out if James has a greater tolerance for something, than he did a year ago.
Sally

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done. We all expect a little something extra from you, in our Xmas boxes this year :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Good stuff Diana. well done, keep it up!

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Well done Diana

I too am LcHf and 100 test strips per month.

I now always test 1st thing in the morning and then randomly except when eating / drinking something new / unknown.

I have found there is no pint at all in testing a LcHf meat and salad lunch or my standard bacon egg low carb sausage breakfast..... You get to know the foods you can eat without it affecting your BG levels.

I am experimenting a bit with exercise now, taking BG readings before / after exercise to see what difference it makes.... And it is seeming to make a difference

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA. On a LcHf diet taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as low as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on those results. It is very encouraging to read about other people's successes. Onwards and downwards x

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
See! Told you it works! Well done for staying the course! Big hug!
Can't believe the calories and sugar in one of those things! Prediabetic days I'd have had the cake as well! :rolleyes: Now if I'm feeling bad to the core, I have half an almond and raspberry bake! Lost water retention water so now back to 13 st 4.
Went for power walk before brekkie so am feeling virtuous!

Yea, yea, @Scandichic you did! And I never doubted you. Thank you for all the encouragement, support, the recipes and for just being an inspiration.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. Its been a really good day and the results were much better than I could have hoped. As soon as I stumbled on this site, I grasped LCHF instantly and converted to it the very next day. I had no carb cravings nor carb flu. The weight loss is slower than most of you, but it is sure, and perhaps its all relative as I didn't need to lose a huge amount. My priority has been to get the bs down and just feel well again, which started happening after just two or three days. and has been maintained

LCHF is for me a no-brainer. Today's results prove it. The other nice thing was seeing my DN look so happy when she started reeling off the numbers! She actually thanked me for getting her Friday off to a good start.

I'm not too bothered about the testing strips @sally and james but thanks for the tips. Now that I've proved for myself lchf works, I won't test quite as often, unless I feel unwell, which I never have done, or need to check my reaction to a new food. I shall keep my food diary going though.

Have a good weekend everyone

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yea, yea, @Scandichic you did! And I never doubted you. Thank you for all the encouragement, support, the recipes and for just being an inspiration.
Really pleased for you. Your results are fantastic! Big hugx

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Very good news.
My priority has been to get the bs down and just feel well again, which started happening after just two or three days. and has been maintained

It is completely amazing how much better you feel once they're down - it's the difference between having a life and just existing. Thanks for telling us the good news.

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well done its awesome isnt it!!!
I have been off the pills and on the diet for one day and my mood is better, there is no stomach upset as I had with the pulls, my stomach bloating is gone I love it and being allowed to eat bacon ..... well lets just say YIPPIE!!!!!
I don't crave carbs at all, I am finding this diet very filling and yet some how light on my stomach to, I dont eat as much as I used to when I was having carb fulled foods and not getting bloated and uncomfortable, I really am glad it works for others to and it really really is worth trying.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes awesome results dianagrace, well done from me too.