Called into the office for using my insulin in staffroom

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Someone pull that mans head from his arss, seriously what kinds of jerks are you working with? You do your medications and if they bring it up again talk to your union they should be supportive not acting like your shooting up heroine in the break room, if they are squeamish about that then maybe they need to grow up and get a bit of maturity your health is a thousand times more important than some pathetic anonymous ass who doesn't even have the balls to address you personally.
Sorry if this seems irate and perhaps rude but I cannot stand it when people are made to feel uncomfortable because of a health issue, trust me I know I am a woman and bald and my work colleagues were "weirded out"

Reactions: 13 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Security is always an issue in a school, unfortunately. I think that was the reason for asking me to keep my insulin pen in a locked fridge in the medical room, - which, obviously, I couldn't comply with. Mind you, 'security' wasn't a big enough issue to allow funding for a school nurse....:). I'm sure that this means that in many schools there will be support and admin staff with very very basic understanding of diabetes trying to oversee the school's policy on diabetes (for students and staff).

I've no experience of how parents of young children with diabetes are able to liaise with their child's school regarding managing their diabetes during school hours. This is the subject of another thread in Ask a Question. It would be interesting to know how you-all coped with your diabetes at school, so not necessarily as a teacher, but as a student.

I know I'm off the subject of this thread here, ie what we do about colleagues who just don't 'get' what those with diabetes have to do in order to stay fit and healthy and on an even keel.

Reactions: 2 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
If they don't like it they can look away, no one is making them watch.

Ask them if they have been tested for diabetes - they might be next.

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! I'm flabbergasted: not just at the neanderthal attitude of @Beat2k 's colleagues and manager, but at the way in which some respondees have almost felt we should bend over backwards to accomodate the delicate emotional inability of some adults to naked flesh and a needle!

Let's exchange 'diabetes' for paraplegia, and then exchange the syringe and needle / pen / pump for wheelchair...

Now, who's in the wrong?

Manager: "Beat2k, some of your colleagues have expressed their discomfort at the presence of your wheelchair in the staff room whilst they're having lunch; I think you need to consider leaving it outside or eating your lunch in another location: the toilet might be a good idea, yes?"

Don't let the idiots get away with it!!! :mad: We can't help needing insulin via injections / pump, just as paraplegics can't do without their wheelchairs!

Well said!

lippymk1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a similar situation! I have been told to go to a separate room to test my sugar levels! I have told them that if I am testing because I think I may be hypo then this could be dangerous. 1 I will have used more energy getting to a different room and 2 I may then find myself on my own and hypo! I will be having a meeting with the boss about compromising but how much do you think I will have to give?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a similar situation! I have been told to go to a separate room to test my sugar levels! I have told them that if I am testing because I think I may be hypo then this could be dangerous. 1 I will have used more energy getting to a different room and 2 I may then find myself on my own and hypo! I will be having a meeting with the boss about compromising but how much do you think I will have to give?

Not one inch .:mad:
Use Conrad's excellent post above as a response. It is discrimination , pure and simple. Also state the reasons you you have given in your post too, they are valid ones.

Signy

Reactions: 6 people

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Beat2k and welcome. Just wanted to send my support and state the obvious that don't these people realise we don't exactly enjoy doing these injections and finger prick testing in public or in private, but the bottom line is we have to do it to stay alive there is no alternative. At least they could have a bit of empathy even if they don't fully understand all that we go through entails. x

gaiaxaia

I suggest politely that you mention a private room for all persons to use. If they are discriminating when it is a need to live drug, then you will expect everyone else from the I need my asthma inhalers to the paracetamol for headaches, to go use a private room for taking their medication without exemption or exception.This room will need a sink for hand-washing, drinking water, telephone for emergencies and chairs at least .Some companies have them and call them sick rooms, but if they are in use because someone is ill , where do you go then ? This needs to be risk assessed ! Of course it will hit into productivity and interrupt the working time but they have to expect these small hiccups when they actively implement new programmes .but that is not your problem.Your problem is if people complain then you also have a right to demand that a company wide policy needs to be implemented when people are uncomfortable with situations. Please ask them to provide a risk assessment for the above .to include if you should need to travel to this room and you feel hypo or hyper, who will be your designated buddy to accompany you in case you should feel unwell and err... collapse .These changes would affect others like asthmatics, anaphylaxis etc. But of course in the interest of fairness and people feeling uncomfortable , accountability under the DDA, possible collapse and death will be accounted for in the risk assessment. Each scenario will of course need a risk assessment as each has it's own problems.

Or perhaps they could suggest the uncomfortable staff educate themselves, do they not ever take a painkiller , antibiotics etc at work ?
Or of course perhaps they could just pop a room divider up in the staff room for people to use in a private corner ???

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I sympathise with you - but to fight this battle long- term will stress you out more than anyone else.

Even if you win, it will leave you tired of the whole thing because of the processes that you will have to undergo to do it.

It's easiest thing is to ask for a room/place where you can act in private.

That's the reasonable course of action.

....And maybe not all your colleagues were upset at your actions.

The management has to act - even if it was just one complaint.

What was wrong is that they didn't offer you an alternative.

pzw123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sympathise with you - but to fight this battle long- term will stress you out more than anyone else.

Even if you win, it will leave you tired of the whole thing because of the processes that you will have to undergo to do it.

It's easiest thing is to ask for a room/place where you can act in private.

That's the reasonable course of action.

....And maybe not all your colleagues were upset at your actions.

The management has to act - even if it was just one complaint.

What was wrong is that they didn't offer you an alternative.

OR maybe the other colleagues can vacate the room whilst you take your meds. That seems to be quite fair.

Reactions: 8 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it's my warped sense of humour, but you could sound an alarm and yell a warning that you're about to inject and the faint-hearted should leave the room now?

Reactions: 10 people

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you work with a bunch of spineless fools if they have to run to teacher and can't speak to you about the situation. You could suggest you don't take the insulin and they can deal with result!

Reactions: 2 people

JohannL1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If I was you I would tell them to go F*** themselves. You are the one who has to live with that condition and deal with it. If they have such a problem with a condition that wasn't your choice then they can excuse themselves. It isn't fair for you to have to inject somewhere else away from everyone. Fight to your right. It's not like you are injecting someone else and saying "hey look at this everyone!!". I would just say well make them go somewhere else if they have a problem. It will make you angry. Don't let people make you feel different for something that you cannot change.

Reactions: 8 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just tell them that seeing all your colleuges eatting sugary treats makes you uncomfortable and they should to it else were. this has only happened to me once. as a teenager i got kicked of a train at a random stop for "doing drugs" i took it up with NIR and got no were, not even a ticket refund

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
There is a problem, you have to get on with the other staff no matter how silly or sensitive they are, otherwise you will dread your work days.

Find out who so you can avoid offending them if possible.

You could also use it as an excuse to disappear occasionally.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do inject in public most of the time e.g. around trusted colleagues, friend and family (in restaurants, office, buses, trains). Sometimes I find somewhere quiet, if for example, I am in a business meeting. It depend very much on where I feel comfortable and whether I choose to let people know I have a medical issue. Having to remove yourself to another room to test and inject on a routine basis is laughable, highly impractical not too mention a waste of time. I do try to be discrete and sensitive particularly to needle-phobics and I would encourage all to do the same. If anyone dare challenge me, I have my reply ready, I ask " if their squeamishness will kill them? Because my not injecting sure as hell will kill me". I would let your manager know how upset you are.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just cannot understand how seeing someone inject themself, with a syringe or pen, can be upsetting for anyone? I've been needle phobic my whole life until I started having to inject myself once a week (not for diabetes) but it wouldn't ever have upset me if someone injected themself in front of me - I wouln't have to watch the needle gong in!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
The whole thing makes me unspeakably angry. Nobody chooses to have a medical condition. Perhaps instead of bitching about people injecting, they should be **** glad it isn't them and just not look. I don't like needles either. I found it quite difficult to test blood but it's just tough. Man up princess, springs to mind!

Reactions: 6 people

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
Makes me angry that people can be like this. Im lucky my work has a medical room but if its being used I just sit at my desk and inject. Even if someone sees they are only ever curious. Im sure if my young nephew and niece aren't bothered by it an adult shouldn't be and should be ashamed of themselves.