Hot, hot nights

C

chris lowe

How are you all managing to sleep (or not) in this hot weather? I've only got a sheet on the bed at the moment and even that's too hot. I've seen various tips like sleep on you side because it means there's more of you exposed to the air, put sheets in a plastic bag in the freezer before bed (if only I had that much room in my freezer!), and wearing bedclothes because they draw moisture away from the body (what numpty thought that one up). I've tried putting a fan on in the bedroom for a couple of hours to get the air moving which helps a little bit but as soon as it's off it's back to square one. I would leave it on but hubby says he can hear it running (really, so what's his hearing aid for 'cos I can't hear it that much and he's supposedly deaf in one ear). I'm getting very nostalgic for nights when I snuggled under the duvet. Even the poor old cats have stopped sleeping on the bed.

Reactions: 2 people

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
same trouble sleeping, it's such a pain, we bought an air cooler some years ago, you put cold water in it and you can put ice cubes the fan blows colder air than a fan, i put it on an hr before i go to bed leave it on until i feel cooler, if i wake in the night i put it on for a while, it does help greatly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Nope I can't sleep in this heat, I have a ceiling fan in my bedroom, but only put it on before I go to bed for a while, as the whirring noise is ........... so annoying, just like this heat, phew !!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We have put a fan in the bedroom to make it more comfortable to sleep, Looking forward to some cooler weather.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m not sleeping in this hot weather either
also tried the fan but its too noisy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a fan, leave windows open, I have a cooling gel mat to sleep on, I also have a cold bath if I can't sleep. I really don't like Summer nights because I am the sort of person who doesn't feel secure without lots of covers on the bed, so I don't sleep well in Summer anyway.

CathyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have windows open, fan on across my feet, and spray water into the air, across the bedding and my body using a spray bottle designed for plants. The spray makes the air fresher and cools down the bedding. If necessary i will respray during the night. Seems to work for me. The only problem with the windows is when you get a huge thunderstorm that doesnt wake you as the rain comes into the room; not too big aproblem though as that dries out the next day.

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I always knew I was "odd" this thread proves it lol. I've got a waterbed & it's still set at 34 degrees (gentle poach lol) & my feet are still like blocks of ice

Smartie xx

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:rolleyes:
All the above, except for @smartlady .
Getting up in the middle of the night for a tepid shower.
No way am I retiring abroad.
Mind you it is nice to have some summer we would soon moan if the weather was atrocious.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:rolleyes:
All the above, except for @smartlady .
Getting up in the middle of the night for a tepid shower.
No way am I retiring abroad.
Mind you it is nice to have some summer we would soon moan if the weather was atrocious.
Yes we would! I would just like to be able to have air conditioning so that I could sleep. I could cope with the heat day times if I could get a good night's sleep.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always knew I was "odd" this thread proves it lol. I've got a waterbed & it's still set at 34 degrees (gentle poach lol) & my feet are still like blocks of ice

Smartie xx
Wow
I Would poach like a lobster.
Even in winter my central heating is set to 17 degrees C If I'm feeling cold I may knock it up with the remote but only to 19 for an hour.

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow
I Would poach like a lobster.
Even in winter my central heating is set to 17 degrees C If I'm feeling cold I may knock it up with the remote but only to 19 for an hour.
Yay....finally found someone else like me! Pity the family aren't the same too, they turn up the heating as soon as they get home.:(

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
We have no central heating - a couple of gas fires and a couple of oil filled radiators. the best thing we did to the house was get the loft re-insulated.

As a consequence the upstairs can get very warm in weather like this so we have lifted the loft hatch lid out of the way and the hot air that rises is now lurking in the attic instead of the bedroom - the temp has dropped by about 3-4 degrees upstairs so bedtime is a little more bearable.
(And we have not been invaded by any attic monsters either)

we still use a fan, but have it on a timer switch. It also rests on a towel, rather than directly on a hard surface so it doesn't make quite so much noise.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Some southern softies on here! Lol!
No problems for me, love this weather! My missus is going mad though. Worked this morning in temp of 34 degrees, yesterday, 36 degrees. Have often tried to persuade my GP that I have seasonal disorder and the only thing. That will help is the NHS to send me to the Greek Islands to recover! Not worked yet! I have a great tan by the way!

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had central air conditioning in all the houses I lived in prior to moving to England, so sleeping through heatwaves (although where I'm from they would laugh at this being called a 'heatwave') without AC is a new experience for me. We have a portable one, but it is so heavy we can't drag it upstairs. We have a fan on right next to the bed (in fact, it's on during the winter as well since I cannot sleep without some noise). I put a glass of ice in front of the fan and it blows cooler. We also wear very light bedclothes and keep all the vents open. A few sips of ice water before bed helps, as well as a sip or two during the night if I wake up.

I'm sure this weather will be gone before we know it and we'll be back in winter coats by September. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure this weather will be gone before we know it and we'll be back in winter coats by September. :)

Yay! I'll still be wearing jeans and T-shirt when there's snow on the ground in January, I love cold weather.

C

chris lowe

We have a fan, leave windows open, I have a cooling gel mat to sleep on, I also have a cold bath if I can't sleep. I really don't like Summer nights because I am the sort of person who doesn't feel secure without lots of covers on the bed, so I don't sleep well in Summer anyway.
I've seen those cooling gel mats advertised. Any good?

C

chris lowe

I'm getting quite nostalgic for night spent snuggling under a winter weight duvet.

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Some southern softies on here! Lol!
No problems for me, love this weather! My missus is going mad though. Worked this morning in temp of 34 degrees, yesterday, 36 degrees. Have often tried to persuade my GP that I have seasonal disorder and the only thing. That will help is the NHS to send me to the Greek Islands to recover! Not worked yet! I have a great tan by the way!

Good luck with that nosher. Lol.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen those cooling gel mats advertised. Any good?
Yes....up to a point. I wouldn't be without mine, though we do everything else we can think of to stay cool too. When I wake mornings the mat is warm/hot, so obviously my body has been busy warming it up. I have the full length one on my side of the bed and also the small one for the pillow. I don't think it works as well now that it's been used for a while (two Summers) though.