Sudden rise

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
My sugars have been under control all day. In fact, they've sometimes gone a little low (in the 4s). I was really proud of myself, thinking I might actually have a near perfect day. I haven't had a reading higher than 7.4, nor a reading lower than 3.9. I felt a bit ill at dinner ( the 3.9 reading) so ate and injected after. Tested an hour after dinner, still 4.1. An hour later, 5.2. An hour later and it's 16. I retested, 15.8. Did a control on the tester and it's all okay.

I feel very ill, and don't know what caused the sudden rise in the sugars.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Perhaps your bg was still falling when you had the 3.9 reading and your liver naturally corrected the hypo, this would explain the the higher bg reading 2 hours postprandial.

Personally I would have had a couple of Jelly Babies then had my dinner and injected afterwards, this is particularly so if you still had some active insulin on board from a previous injection.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
Thanks guys. Noble head, that makes sense. I had been fighting lows all day (with the heat).

Unfortunately I don't yet have any ketone stripes. Never been given any. It's something I will be talking to my nurse with