What do we need most?

Blondie153

I was talking to parents of non diabetic children and they asked me what do parents of diabetic children need most? This gave me food for thought... Obviously a cure would be fantastic. Then I made a quick list can you think of anything you would add to it?
#1 Cure
#2 Out of hours help as they always have a problem after 6pm.
#3 a paediatric diabetes consultant (we don't have one)
#4 she would love one of those medic dogs that alert you when you are hypo.
What would be on your list?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Valaraki

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Must admit Blondie we are very lucky where we stay, as number 2 and 3 on your list we have. we have a direct kine to the paediatric diabetic consultant at the local hospital anytime as well as out of hours paedistric nurses. I would probably agree that a cure would be useful as well as meal plans, as a lot of the food in the books my spanner wont eat and we are struggling with giving him variety in his diet.

Just Laura

Valaraki, I hear you loud & clear on the variety front! I seem to dish up more processed, packaged stuff than ever before as it's ready carb-counted so to speak.
I didn't ever think of be grateful for having a fussy eater who doesn't like potatoes ;)

Have just said in another post that I've got a long list of carb counted children's type of foods - if anyone is interested, please just let me know and I'll forward it over.

Blonde, we're quite lucky too as have number 2 and 3 provided. Can't believe that not everyone does. So unfair.

x

Blondie153

Gosh you are both so lucky. We currently have a dr with an interest in diabetes which is not the same thing at all. When my daughter was first diagnosed she told us your last port of call is the hosp as you will know more than they will! How is that for support. Last week my daughter was off the scale high and I couldn't get her down, she was starting to get really distressed. Rang diabetes nurse got answering machine with message to ring other nurse. Rang her she is on holiday until next week but left message on her answer service in case of emergencies ring consultants secretary. Her phone was engaged for 1/2 hr eventually got her and she said I will get hosp to ring you when I get someone. They did ring back about another 1/2 hr later and said you have done everything right but if it doesn't come down shortly you will have to bring her in. Luckily it did start to come down but I only got help this time because she got sick during office hours. Support is a postcode lottery!

Blondie153

Thanks for your reply. It is not fair how some parents are supported just the way all are supposed to be and others are left to struggle on their own. Budget cuts and manpower seem to be the biggest influence.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It
Thanks for your reply. It is not fair how some parents are supported just the way all are supposed to be and others are left to struggle on their own. Budget cuts and manpower seem to be the biggest influence.

It is the divide and conquer tactics of this Government whilst they support an Undemocratic form of Monarchy and Elitist capitalist dogma and influence means that the money that should be spent on care and health under our laws are spent on Banks and multinationals to increase profits.