Carb Free Snacks

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Help required once again
Firstly I would like to thank everyone on this forum as everyone's advice has been really helpful

My five-year-old son who who is type one and is always hungry after his meals
He is only allowed to have 20 g snacks between his meal times

During the summer holidays he has been playing in the garden with the the kids and is always constantly coming in to ask for food or drink etc usually junk food as the other kids are having this

We have tried giving him Carbs free foods like cucumbers and carrots but he does not enjoy it

Does anyone have a list of any carb free foods which he can snack on or recommend us

I really feel bad for him when i have to tell him you cant snack on anything but its for his own good

Thanks again

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
KFC original recipe drumstick is only 3g. Presumably non KFC chicken parts (not dippers or nuggets) are similar.

Corned beef is 0-1g

Mattesons smoked pork sausage is 0g

He can have a stick of celery and/or lettuce with that. Other salad vegetables are available.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A slice of cheese on a oat cracker (Nairn's are nice) will plug the gap, just make sure that his hunger feelings aren't in fact a hypo, feeling hungry is one of many symptoms associated with low bg.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb and young boy friendly snacks that my son likes………..

mini babybel
cheese strings
mini/cocktail sausages
small pots of sugar free jelly (especially those ready made pots - why do kids want 'junk' food!)

home made scotch eggs (or occasional shop bought)
chicken drumsticks
kebabs - hot or cold with chunks of cheese or meat and veggies or cucumber/pepper/tomatoes - my son likes halloumi, tomato and pepper warm and chunks of ham, cheese and cherry tomatoes cold

or -
veggies and hummus made into smiley faces

small pieces cheese or meat cut into shapes

homemade muffins with almond or coconut flour

mini pizza oopsies

Just Laura

Skips, Wotsits & Quavers are around 10g carbs per pack.

Or you could have a look on the Internet for low carbs snack ideas - there's lots of stuff around the Atkins type diets.

Mini milk ice cream lollies are 5g carbs, mini twisters 9g, ice pops around 3g...

x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

onegreenguy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Try 2 tablespoon of natural peanut butter with 3 celery stalks (1 serving). It's not carb free, but just 8.5 grams. :)

Kathryn_Southern

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
The best carb-free snacks could be peanut butter and celery sticks or even a handful of roasted, unsalted or mixed nuts. Even carrot sticks with hummus could be a good option.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why is he so limited in what he can have carb wise?

instead of solely looking at carb free have you thought about a pump?

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
have written that one down although unsure what the plus 2T means :blackeye::rolleyes:

Stacey_c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
fridge raiders 6g carbs per bag pistachio nuts , dry roasted peanuts, raspberries h

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Join Pinterest and search within for "typeonegrit". They have loads of recipes categorised into brekkie, lunch etc all of which are low carb. They advocate a low carb high fat diet along the lines of Bernstein which is pretty extreme but gets great results on A1C, keeping hypos and hypers to a minimum etc.

Ali

Reactions: 2 people

robadob

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Only a month in after my 10 years old daughter was diagnosed type 1 but she loves Peperami as a snack (2.2g) and its easy and convenient to carry around.
Not my cup of tea but a real treat for her.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Almonds...I recently discoverd Lidl do loose roasted and salted almonds...they're yummy :)

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Beef jerky also, make your own in a dehydrator so you can control what flavourings are used.

Ali

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Your breakfast is too small. Breakfast should be your largest meal of the day and dinner should be your smallest. Eat a breakfast with a good amount of protein like an egg and 100% whole grain toast and fruit.

For lunch, the salad is good but make sure it's got plenty of colorful veggies and perhaps 2-3 oz. of grilled chicken. Make sure your dressing is fat free or light.

For dinner, I would eat a hearty low fat soup or something else light yet filling. Choose lean meats/fish over fatty cuts of pork or beef.

Remember that carbs are very important for the body. Just choose good ones over bad ones.

For snacks, how about a banana? Low fat or fat free yogurt?

Exercise is key in losing weight and maintaining your weight.