Sporty Forty.e t

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I had to stand in big queues for the commonwealth games, I found myself moving back and forward , almost dancing , I must have used more calories that way than if I had just stood.
Today I was standing at home watching the tv , I did the same side steppy dance and my daughter told me I looked like I needed the toilet lol.
I think from now on im going to move back and forward a bit more lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Tell me you didn't have your nightie on in the queue?
Which reminds me, how was the nightie dancing with the cruise captain?
I know what you mean about the dancing stuff though. I do it too waiting for the kettle to boil, or if I am in the queue in the supermarket, holding the trolley doing the invisible hula hoop thing. It is all part of the growing old disgracefully. I am happy to be the eccentric oldie. At least I shop in an area a good way from home so nobody knows me. Maybe we could include queue dancing/swaying as a part of the 40 mins routine?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just outside Kendal. It's been a lot cooler today and rained heavily overnight and is showering now. Forecast to be dry again tomorrow and Tuesday but only 18 degrees.
More my sort of weather. Have had to stay indoors as sun brings me out in a rash, and allergic to sunscreen. Still more cleaning got done, including lots of stretching to get cobwebs, bending to clean skirting boards and seated vacuum cleaning. Hoping that will tone my arms.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is very true Peacetrain. We are encouraged to trumpet our successes, because it can be inspirational to others, but the line between inspiring and showboating can be a bit blurry. I hope I don't cross it too often, and I'm sure you lot would tell me if I did! But you do have to be aware of the sensibilities of the audience as well.

I think the mutual encouragement on this thread is great.

I did my 45 minute walk today, and 2 hours ironing watching the Commonwealth Games and the Grand Prix highlights.
A man who irons! Rare in those of a certain age. Although I did make sure my son could, he is now making his missus very happy about that, as he does her work shirts as well as his own.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't do any cleaning today:( Did cook a roast with loadsa veggies and wash and iron some clothes and water plants and sewed on a button, but no cleaning. Maybe tomoz.;)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope someone tells me if I over step the mark too.
I think we all support each other and we are aware that 5 minutes for some can be just as hard as 25 for others. Like I said earlier that fact that we are doing anything is great.

Think I have experienced both feeling inadequate, (when I read of the stuff some of you do which I will never be able to do again), perhaps now concern that my posts are causing others to feel that way. Confess to feeling envy of long walks and cycling, but as @Scandichic said 'horses for courses' no good wasting my time hankering over what cannot be. I have wonderful memories of fell walking and cycling and running, but it is time to make new memories. So looking for different activities to try.

If I sometimes sound as if I am showing off I am sorry. I am pleased with myself for getting more active, but don't want to do it at the expense of making anyone else feel as if they are slacking. I am also pleased with all of you, because reporting on here is spurring me on. As yet I haven't had a period of down time on the exercise. It will come, but I am confident that you will all understand, because this is one of the most supportive threads I have seen.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
If I sometimes sound as if I am showing off I am sorry.

Never thought so Pipp, nothing for you (or anyone else on here) to be sorry for.

Reactions: 6 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Think I have experienced both feeling inadequate, (when I read of the stuff some of you do which I will never be able to do again), perhaps now concern that my posts are causing others to feel that way. Confess to feeling envy of long walks and cycling, but as @Scandichic said 'horses for courses' no good wasting my time hankering over what cannot be. I have wonderful memories of fell walking and cycling and running, but it is time to make new memories. So looking for different activities to try.

If I sometimes sound as if I am showing off I am sorry. I am pleased with myself for getting more active, but don't want to do it at the expense of making anyone else feel as if they are slacking. I am also pleased with all of you, because reporting on here is spurring me on. As yet I haven't had a period of down time on the exercise. It will come, but I am confident that you will all understand, because this is one of the most supportive threads I have seen.
I could not understand why you were not showing off more?

Reactions: 7 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I ave just been directed to this 'club' by @Pipp and am keen to join! Very supportive! When does the next exercise phase start?

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never thought anyone was showing off. We are all at different stages of our journey so an hour for some is no harder than five minutes for others. I am enjoying reading what everyone manages to do as it gives me ideas, and encourages me to keep going. Everyone is supportive and there's a genuine sense of pleasure in one another's achievements which is why I think these threads have been a great idea. Can't wait till nifty in fifty or whet aver it is.

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jamrox is our mentor @paulins
She Started with a thread to encourage 30 mins of exercise a day for a six week period. It went so well that it has been extended to 40 mins a day indefinitely.

Just come up with your plan for 40 mins and report. It is useful for ideas and encouragement.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never thought anyone was showing off. We are all at different stages of our journey so an hour for some is no harder than five minutes for others. I am enjoying reading what everyone manages to do as it gives me ideas, and encourages me to keep going. Everyone is supportive and there's a genuine sense of pleasure in one another's achievements which is why I think these threads have been a great idea. Can't wait till nifty in fifty or whet aver it is.
Are you starting that challenge then @cold ethyl?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And some indulge in irony, but we like each other and are pleased when someone achieves something they thought they couldn't.

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you starting that challenge then @cold ethyl?

I'm going to try and up my exercise to 50 minutes from 1st August - possibly 40 mins cardio and 10 mins toning etc as my calves are great but my bingo thighs need all the help they can get. I'd like to get to 1hr a day and then start thinking about cycling on a proper outside bike again as I used to love that when I was a teenager.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I have my plan! Will start Tuesday and look forward to following everyone's efforts.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reactions: 3 people