Not sure I'm going to sleep tonight

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Ok, so in the morning I have to go see the doctor about my blood results. I'm pretty sure I know what the results are going to be (otherwise they wouldn't be dragging me in) but I'm not looking forward to the **** kicking. I feel really scared, like I'm going to see the Headmaster or something!

Somebody...say something to calm me down LOL

What actually happens at the appointment where they break the news? Can't believe I'm going straight to work afterwards...can't imagine it's going to be a terribly productive day :(

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Doctors don't have time to do **** kickings these days. You'll be lucky if you get a pamphlet :D Please come back tomorrow to let us know how you get on. Whatever happens, it isn't the end of the world and we are all here for you.

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I got a pamphlet and was told to make an appointment to see the diabetic nurse at clinic and don't eat anything sweet.

Reactions: 2 people

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt the same when they called me to tell me to come in first thing the next day. Yes it is a shock when you get told but then at least you know for sure and can tackle it head on. I was upset the first few days to be honest. The thought of cutting out my sweets and takeaways and crisps was ok at first then I was on the phone crying to my sister about how I couldn't have this and that anymore and my life was **** lol. I soon got over that and ce you start getting into what you can and can't have it gets easier. I've enjoyed cooking a few meals from scratch as well and freezing it in portions for other days. I feel much better about it all now.

At my appointment it was my family doctor. He didn't come straight out with it. He knows about my depression issues and how hard it is looking after my mum so asked what had been going on in my life lately. He then told me that my BG was dangerously high and that he was concerned because it was at diabetic levels. After that he made me an appointment with the diabetic nurse and she took it from there explaining about BG testing and diiet.

Good luck and keep posting here. I'll look out tomorrow for you to see what the doctor said. Try not to get to worried. We're all here for you

Reactions: 3 people

Mushroom

They tell you the diagnosis, expect you to be really upset, some mention of weight loss (expect some leaflets on 'healthy eating') but then push Metformin at you.
On the second appointment (quite soon afterwards but not all at once because they think it's too much to take in), they then want to put you on statins followed closely by blood presure tablets!. All good fun.
I am being sarcastic but you will find a lot of good advice here. I found this forum, bought my own meter, l ditched the carbs, upped the fat, lost weight and threw away the prescriptions. Not what the NHS tend to advise but worked for me.
Good luck with the appointment. Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: 6 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine just said to see DN, tried to give me statins and failed to take my BP as his cuff wouldn't fit and prescribed Metformin. It is a big shock even if you suspect it and I do wish that care want so piecemeal for T2s( it is at my surgery if nowhere else.) I know they have targets and recommendations but I do think you start to feel less like an individual and more just another tickbox hindrance. Most of the "treatment" is done by the diabetic nursing team and I have a Desmond course lined up next month , several months after diagnosis so you are left to your own devices a bit which is where this forum comes in. I won't kid you that it isn't a shock and that you won't feel all manner of emotions in the first few weeks. Try and stay calm as that helps with the BS and BP which is all they seem to look at, ignoring the fact that stress has an impact on both.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes, I forgot I broke 3 of their BP cuffs too. That was funny. I didn't get any treatment as such, just blood tests and told to come back in 6 months.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine always reads better when they do with the old fashioned machine .. Or when I am in a and e with a panic attack as they hook you to the monitor and you've none of the anticipatory panic. I hate having mine taken.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yeah I'm pretty sure my stress levels and BP are going to be soaring too! My BP is actually high but nobody seems too concerned about it - maybe they will actually do something about it now. I believe that in time (with weight loss) I should be able to get better control over both my BG and BP so I think I just need to be patient.

Currently, it will be a no to the statin though...

Will report back in the morning after the appointment :nailbiting:

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I found this forum, bought my own meter, l ditched the carbs, upped the fat, lost weight and threw away the prescriptions. Not what the NHS tend to advise but worked for me.
Good luck with the appointment. Let us know how you get on.
That's exactly my plan :)

Reactions: 4 people

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I'm not looking forward to the **** kicking.
Always keep in mind your doctor is your paid expert medical advisor. The doctor is neither your boss, your director nor a parent.

Think of it like the mechanic who repairs your car. You would not accept an ****-kicking form the mechanic if poor driving technique was causing mechanical problems; what you would accept is competent repairs to your car and wise advice on better driving techniques. An **** kicking would very quickly cause you to find a new mechanic.

If your numbers are bad, the doctor can help with good advice and wise prescriptions if needed. But you will be the one responsible for the actions you take after that., not the doctor, because you will also eventually wear the consequences, good or bad.

Reactions: 4 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ah...panic is setting in now...leaving for appointment in 15 mins :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope your results are better than expected.

If you do have problems with doctors and nurses taking you blood pressure you might want to think of investing in a blood pressure machine for at home. I have to take mine once a day for a week before each diabetic check. My home readings are fine, if they went on the ones they get in the surgery I would be on tablets. 'White coat syndrome' is becoming a recognised problem.

Remember there's plenty of good advise and help here and diagnosis isn't the end of the world.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I got there for my appointment, only to find the doctor had taken the morning off because it was Eid. It should have clicked really, because I knew it was Eid and this has happened before. Anyway, I did get provisional results out of the receptionist...she says my diabetes test was borderline (so hoping that's prediabetes then but not sure yet if they'll want more tests) but she mentioned my full blood count was off. I'm not entirely surprised about the full blood count as I've had an infection for weeks (which is why they've tested me for diabetes) and because of the nature of the infection I know I could be anaemic too. Anyway, she couldn't tell me the FBC breakdown so I'll ask the doc this afternoon.

Fingers crossed it is prediabetes and the abnormally high fasting blood glucose in the surgery last week was because I'd just been eating/drinking stuff I wouldn't normally have eaten...and not slept in 3 days due to having awful jetlag.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad to here the diabetes diagnosis is borderline, with all the advise available here you can probably adapt and make sure you are never fully diabetic. I don't know much about blood counts, as far as anaemia goes, I used to have to take multivitamins with added iron each month due to heavy bleeding, but even that as sorted out since I went on the injection. Hopefully your doctor can give some good advise.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Well I got there for my appointment, only to find the doctor had taken the morning off because it was Eid. It should have clicked really, because I knew it was Eid and this has happened before. Anyway, I did get provisional results out of the receptionist...she says my diabetes test was borderline (so hoping that's prediabetes then but not sure yet if they'll want more tests) but she mentioned my full blood count was off. I'm not entirely surprised about the full blood count as I've had an infection for weeks (which is why they've tested me for diabetes) and because of the nature of the infection I know I could be anaemic too. Anyway, she couldn't tell me the FBC breakdown so I'll ask the doc this afternoon.

Fingers crossed it is prediabetes and the abnormally high fasting blood glucose in the surgery last week was because I'd just been eating/drinking stuff I wouldn't normally have eaten...and not slept in 3 days due to having awful jetlag.
Wow that sucks. To think how worried you were last night too :( Hope you get firm answers soon so that you can start acting on them.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

what a joke that they didn't tell you your doctor was off! So you've got another appointment with a doctor today then?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
what a joke that they didn't tell you your doctor was off! So you've got another appointment with a doctor today then?
Yep...been here since 11.30am but not been seen yet...surrounded by people coughing and sneezing everywhere too. Pffffffttt....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are still in the waiting room, why not ask the receptionist for a print out of your blood test results? You are entitled to these, and it will give you something to read while you wait. They are very interesting, and will show which of your levels are normal and which are not quite normal. You will then have these in front of you when you see a doctor.