Is this tiredness usual ?

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before I was diagnosed with type 2 I'd been to see my GP because of feeling very tired and exhausted all the time - even when I first get up in the morning I feel as though I've just run a marathon ! I thought I might have a thyroid problem, but those blood tests were negative so I'm left with the conclusion that my tiredness is caused by the diabetes - on my assumption that, as a type 2, I'm not producing enough insulin for my body to make best use of the food that I put into it !

Is that a fair conclusion or have I got it all wrong ?

and if my conclusion is correct what do I need to do to up my energy levels ?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your blood sugar levels like? Are you testing regularly? High sugar levels make you feel tired all the time. My husband was asleep most of the day (or so it seemed) before his levels came down. Now he's full of energy.
The best way to get levels down is to go "low carb", then the energy should sort itself out.
Sally

Reactions: 2 people

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
...hi Susie, I was very tired before I was diagnosed as Type 2, thought the exhaustion was down to my age at the time [48] so silly ....once your bs levels have improved you should feel some benefit....let us know what you eat on a typical day...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was tired before diagnosis and that has not changed one iota since regardless of medication! We are all different and in theory anyway the inability to use insulin properly can affect energy levels. All you can do is get the diabetes under control by reducing weight and insulin resistance by a low-carb diet and then tacking any remaining exhaustion by looking for other causes.

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@sally and james

haven't started testing yet as GP never even mentioned monitors ! but from what I've read here and elsewhere think I'll be off to Boots next week to buy one - hopefully the pharmacist will be able to show me how to use it !

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
...hi Susie, I was very tired before I was diagnosed as Type 2, thought the exhaustion was down to my age at the time [48] so silly ....once your bs levels have improved you should feel some benefit....let us know what you eat on a typical day...

thanks Pollylocks :)

Before I was diagnosed last week I was already on a calorie controlled diet to lose weight (for cosmetic reasons !), but it now looks like I have to re-think that to make it a low carb/high fat diet (still can't my head round the high fat element !!).

Typically (when dieting) I would eat as follows

breakfast = fat free fruit yoghurt, 1 Weetabix, strawberries & blueberries
mid morning snack - banana
lunch - sandwich made with 2 slices from small Hovis wholemeal loaf filled with either: reduced fat cheese, ham or chicken & salad and a piece of fruit
mid afternoon snack - plain rice cake with smear of sugar reduced jam
dinner - salmon fillet, chicken fillet or pork steak (trimmed of fat) with 2 small new potatoes, green vegetables or salad and another piece of fruit or a fat free yoghurt.

tea and coffee with skimmed milk through the day (I don't like sweet/soft drinks and I don't drink alcohol)

Since being here I've switched the fruit yoghurts to natural yoghurt and am trying to cut back on the amount of fruit that I eat (that's hard for me :() I used to be a big pasta/ rice eater (I'm half Italian) but I had cut that back to one small portion a week before diagnosis.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@susieq67 We were very fortunate in that our doctors gave James a meter and continue to supply strips freely, whenever asked. (We put this down to an administrative mess up on their part, rather than understanding of need or generosity!) For that reason we have never had to decide what to buy. But, many on this forum choose the SD Codefree, which they buy from Amazon, the main reason being that the one use only testing strips are cheaper than for most models. It's not the meter that is expensive, it's the testing strips.
I think, somewhere on the main site associated with this forum, there is a video about finger tip testing, should the pharmacist be unable to help. You won't be the first person to make a complete and utter mess of it the first few times, but it soon becomes just one of those multi-tasking, one hand only type jobs, so persevere.
Sally

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
....some of those things would spike me Susie, weetabix, banana, rice cake BUT I'm not medical and we're all different...a meter will tell you what you can and can't tolerate..

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@susieq67 We were very fortunate in that our doctors gave James a meter and continue to supply strips freely, whenever asked. (We put this down to an administrative mess up on their part, rather than understanding of need or generosity!) For that reason we have never had to decide what to buy. But, many on this forum choose the SD Codefree, which they buy from Amazon, the main reason being that the one use only testing strips are cheaper than for most models. It's not the meter that is expensive, it's the testing strips.
I think, somewhere on the main site associated with this forum, there is a video about finger tip testing, should the pharmacist be unable to help. You won't be the first person to make a complete and utter mess of it the first few times, but it soon becomes just one of those multi-tasking, one hand only type jobs, so persevere.
Sally
Hi ! I'm only 5 weeks diagnosed and use a code free from Amazon, really love the fact I can see what's happening daily! Diagnosed at 7.6, now usually wake to mid 5's and rarely go above the 6's post meals due to switching lchf........takes a while to get used to not looking for "low fat" etc and having cream etc !! I find now I wake up feeling much brighter and feel so much better!!

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are several physical reasons for severe tiredness beside having high blood sugar levels, they include:
  1. Underactive Thyroid (even if you have had some blood tests, they don't do them all)
  2. Iron deficiency anaemia
  3. Vitamin D deficiency
  4. Vitamin B12 deficiency
  5. Depression
  6. Stress
  7. Sleep Apnea
  8. Not getting enough sleep or good quality sleep
Vitamin D deficiency is quite common in the general population due to our now mainly indoors lifestyle, but it is important to get this tested properly.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot buy the sd code free meter off amazon uk because the strips are 7 quid

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
There are several physical reasons for severe tiredness beside having high blood sugar levels, they include:
  1. Underactive Thyroid (even if you have had some blood tests, they don't do them all)
  3. Vitamin D deficiency
  5. Depression
  6. Stress
  7. Sleep Apnea
Vitamin D deficiency is quite common in the general population due to our now mainly indoors lifestyle, but it is important to get this tested properly.
Despite having 6 of the above, surprisingly I don't have number 5.

Reactions: 6 people

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
  3. Vitamin D deficiency
  5. Depression
  6. Stress
  7. Sleep Apnea
1) Have been checked twice for under active thyroid in the last two years - always comes back negative
2) checked and negative
3) I get plenty of sunshine as I do go out everyday for a walk - even in winter
4) I take a high dose multi vitamin B tablet daily and have done for years
5) Only depressed 'cos I'm tired all the time and it stops me doing the things I want to do !
6) Stress - apart from the diagnosis of type 2 - no
7) don't think so
8) I've suffered with insomnia since my teens - I'm now 67 - and up until a couple of months ago it has never caused me any real problems.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
1) Have been checked twice for under active thyroid in the last two years - always comes back negative
2) checked and negative
3) I get plenty of sunshine as I do go out everyday for a walk - even in winter
4) I take a high dose multi vitamin B tablet daily and have done for years
5) Only depressed 'cos I'm tired all the time and it stops me doing the things I want to do !
6) Stress - apart from the diagnosis of type 2 - no
7) don't think so
8) I've suffered with insomnia since my teens - I'm now 67 - and up until a couple of months ago it has never caused me any real problems.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. To clarify the LCHF approach. The important thing is the low-carb. I don't like the acronym LCHF as it implies you need to eat a lot of fat; you don't. You should eat enough fat and protein to make up the calories and other nutrients lost from the carbs; that's all.

Reactions: 4 people

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
@sally and james

haven't started testing yet as GP never even mentioned monitors ! but from what I've read here and elsewhere think I'll be off to Boots next week to buy one - hopefully the pharmacist will be able to show me how to use it !
Trying to manage type 2 without a meter is like trying to fly a light plane through the Alps in a blizzard without instruments. You might land safely, but the odds are against it. This may help until you get one: What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter. Please make a meter and a good supply of test strips a priority. This will help when you get it: Painless Pricks

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to manage type 2 without a meter is like trying to fly a light plane through the Alps in a blizzard without instruments. You might land safely, but the odds are against it. This may help until you get one: What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter. Please make a meter and a good supply of test strips a priority. This will help when you get it: Painless Pricks

meter and strips ordered today via Amazon :)

Plus I'm pleased to report that after 2 days with minimal carbs and the arrival of slightly cooler weather I have more energy today than I've had in a long time:happy:

I've also now got a date for a DESMOND course - 18th August ! Guess I'll have to muddle through until then :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people