Breakfast when Low Carb

Redbegonia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes that's good to remember, I had home made latte banana and because it's Saturday I had a Mini croissant ! Does anyone know can you buy coconut flour in Newcastle on Tyne or area?

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
I am a real Quinoa fan, I had never heard of it until I joined the forum. I make it with water in the microwave, just as you would with rice. I make enough for a few servings. Once made I add Honey and Cinnamon. It is so versatile can be used sweet or savoury with Curry, Kedgeree , Chill stir fry etc. You can buy it at ASDA and it is cheaper than health food stores.
My other favourite is coddled eggs on Hovis 7 seeded loaf with Flora pro active spread.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You can buy coconut flour online, Tiana is a make. I bought mine from Holland & Barrett a while ago, not sure if they still stock it.

Redbegonia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I'm a big baking and cooking fan how can I satisfy my desire to bake cakes and pastry without affecting my diabetes?

edickturpin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been reading a lot of threads about Low Carb diets. Usually I would have toast or porridge for breakfast but of cou,rse these are carbs. What kind of things do other peopleeat for breakfast? Thanks for the help
best advice the lowcarb diabetic website

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My breakfasts cycle through:

Berries n double cream
Cold meat n cheese
Scrambled eggs
Green smoothies
Eggnbaconorsausage
Cold leftovers from night before
Berries and full fat Greek yog
Bacon and field mushrooms
Pork scratchings (I kid you not)
Bulletproof coffee

If you're bored with breakfast, you're bored with life!

Reactions: 4 people

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Redbegonia, regards coconut flour. I buy mine from a local Asian (Indian) shop and is very cheap, the make is TRS and it has 6.4g carbs per 100g. If you have a local Asian community near to you try one of those shops, they will sell it, Deb

Redbegonia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Deb I'm very fortunate I have lots of Asian and African friends and I can go shopping with them, we have some great shops in Newcastle so I'll be whirling over there to see what I can get, I'm learning loads from this site!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can also make your own coconut flour with unsweetened desiccated coconut and a powerful blender like a Vitamix, magic bullet or coffee grinder.

Just keep blitzing it till it's a fine powder.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I have been reading a lot of threads about Low Carb diets. Usually I would have toast or porridge for breakfast but of cou,rse these are carbs. What kind of things do other peopleeat for breakfast? Thanks for the help
This morning my breakfast was a small steak and two fried eggs.

Other ideas here: Breakfasts

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
don't have the time to be cooking.

Wrong. There is always time for cooking. It takes just a couple of minutes to cook a rasher of bacon and fry an egg in its fat. Even less to make microwave scrambled eggs.

Plan ahead a little and have a stew or quiche in the freezer which can be re-heated in the microwave while you're in the shower.

I reckon delaying long-term complications is reasonable motivation to get out of bed ten minutes earlier.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Alan that was really useful. I also looked at the books on Amazon which I hadnt thought of.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you Alan that was really useful. I also looked at the books on Amazon which I hadnt thought of.
I hope you discover some good breakfast ideas. This morning I had my "Half-Full English" breakfast: a full English without all the carbs. A pork sausage with a mushroom cap, half a small tomato and two eggs fried in the sausage fat. Usually I add bacon to that, but I forgot to go to the butcher yesterday :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think essentially you can have anything suitable for diabetic eating that you fancy for breakfast - just think outside the (cereal!) box. You've had a good selection of suggestions so far.

Robbity

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:)Thanks. Today I had a sliced plum tomato with a pice of mature cheddar and a tablespoonful of houmous which I used as a dip. yummy

busspassman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't stand all these fancy breakfast menus - 1 Sausage on 1 round of multigrain bread (try Icelands value sausages made with chicken),
1 Morrisons value beefburger on 1 round Multigrain, Poached egg on 2 rounds of Multigrain, 1 rasher of back bacon on 1 round Multigrain
all followed by Coffee with fat free milk and 1 spoonful of sweetener. 2 hours after tests 5.6 mmol. Fasting comes up the same.
All results were found by trial and error by testing with Accu-Chek Aviva In October 2013 I was 7+ so trial and error really works!.

sweetasanut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have a smoothie, mainly greens, bought a nutribullet off tv shopping channel, and keeps me stable until late afternoon. with carbs id jump from ie 7 to 12, with smoothie ie 7 to 8/9 and back to target within an hour
fav. smoothie....... spinach, banana, mixed berries, nuts pumpkin seeds, cinamon, topped with unsweetened almond milk

Reactions: 5 people