Hate blood tests!!

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate the nurses taking my bloods. I end up like a pin cushion. They can never locate a vein properly, I have two full tattoo sleeves so they can see them and have to feel for them. For my A1c it took five attempts. Two in each arm and eventually got it out of the back of my wrist. Similar scenario when they did my fasting ones. I was stressed and sweating buckets. All though I am heavily tattooed with a near full body suit a hate the blood test needles!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, me too. It often takes 5 attempts to get any blood from me too...and then it's usually from the back of the hand

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to donate blood regularly and the nurses there always said that it was usually easiest to take blood from the 'dominate' arm - so if your right handed then the right one and vice versa if you're left handed. Being left handed I always get the nurse to use my left arm for blood test specimens and she never has a problem (although if they insist on using my right arm then it always take more than one try !)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank goodness I have good visible veins near the crook of my elbow. Last year I had blood tests every 3 weeks for 12 months and not once did I have any problems. I do find, however, that some nurses are better than others at not leaving a big bruise.

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank goodness that I am not allowed to give blood as you can't if you have been tattooed in the last 6 months. I can't remember the last time I went 6 months without ink? In fact probably can't remember the last time I went a month without.

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Blood extraction doesn't bother me. It's the waiting for the results that I can't stand.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate the nurses taking my bloods. I end up like a pin cushion. They can never locate a vein properly, I have two full tattoo sleeves so they can see them and have to feel for them. For my A1c it took five attempts. Two in each arm and eventually got it out of the back of my wrist. Similar scenario when they did my fasting ones. I was stressed and sweating buckets. All though I am heavily tattooed with a near full body suit a hate the blood test needles!!

I'm the same, they can never get a vein in my arm so they take it from my hand now

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is this common with diabetes? I know when I have had previous blood tests it's been easier. I put it down to a new nurse at the new doctors surgery I go to after moving house?

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this common with diabetes? I know when I have had previous blood tests it's been easier. I put it down to a new nurse at the new doctors surgery I go to after moving house?

I don't know. I didn't like having it out of my hand but they are quite veiny so it was the only option

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got no issue with blood samples taken.. Quite often watch the nurse doing the job which can unnerve them if inexperienced...? (Some have surprisingly shaky hands.)
It's astonishing how bad some of these professionals are at actually taking blood.. I always commend them on a swift steady action if they get it right!
Hey, it's my body their invading after all....! Lol

As an aside. I was under the impression Diabetics couldn't donate to "blood banks"?!

@gaz tred why not get a tatt over the vein with an arrow saying insert here..!? ;)
:D

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got no issue with blood samples taken.. Quite often watch the nurse doing the job which can unnerve them if inexperienced...? (Some have surprisingly shaky hands.)
It's astonishing how bad some of these professionals are at actually taking blood.. I always commend them on a swift steady action if they get it right!

As an aside. I was under the impression Diabetics couldn't donate to "blood banks"?!

@gaz tred why not get a tatt over the vein with an arrow saying insert here..!? ;)
@Jaylee
Too late for the arrow tatt. Whe upper body already covered!

Reactions: 2 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These experiences are exactly why I always go to the hospital to have mine taken! I am on the 'thyroid register' so try to coordinate the tests so they just take one armful in one go!!! LOL

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee
Too late for the arrow tatt. Whe upper body already covered!

Cool..! I have a bit of black & shade Giger on my upper leg...
Just an idea.. Maybe remember the point of the artwork where a successful sample was taken, then point em in that direction next time..?! :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Anyone who has difficulty should make sure they are hydrated, being dehydrated causes the veins to shrink which make taking bloods extremely hard.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
gaz Im sure that blood tests cant be as painful as having a tattoo,forgive me if I am wrong.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I always watch - had no idea it might be freaking them.
Will try harder next time...
:smug:
*Evil cackle*

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
gaz Im sure that blood tests cant be as painful as having a tattoo,forgive me if I am wrong.

I don't know about Gaz, but I found the "shading" more of a minor discomfort... A little like being gouged..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always watch - had no idea it might be freaking them.
Will try harder next time...
:smug:
*Evil cackle*

Lol, I did the same with the tattooist... Fascinating! He said I "sat well".. But I just do what I always do with blood test procedures & run the bass line off Iron Maiden's Wrathchild through my head while it's happening..!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol, I did the same with the tattooist... Fascinating! He said I "sat well".. But I just do what I always do with blood test procedures & run the bass line off Iron Maiden's Wrathchild through my head while it's happening..!

I'm just curious. It fascinates me to see the needle go in - to me!
And the tiny delay before the pain.
And the weird size of the needle.

When I had pet rats the vet used a much bigger needle on them, which always struck me as needlessly brutal, and they didn't make a fuss. Would seem wrong somehow if a tiddly little needle made me flap.

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends on where the tattoo is as to how painful. The ribs are really unpleasant, the arm pits are not great either. Legs and arms are bearable. I just have a little bit of filling in to do to join the Back to the front and the backs of the upper legs and I am done!
The avitar is one side of my ribs or a piece of it, it's way more complete now!

Reactions: 3 people