AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and breathe, i don,t have a freezer or a slow cooker

ruth b i like your suggestion about testing my BS every hour and writing everything down, thank you, i will do that

Not to worry. Just don't make recipes for 6 or 8 without reducing the quantities. Just make sure to refrigerate promptly once cooked and you get a few days to consume them, and maybe the odd thing might fit on your fridge's freezer box?

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I live on my own. I have salads and stir fries. You can add meat or tuna/salmon . Fish can be from a tin if that's easier but get the plain not in sauce.

I would advise against making a big batch of stew and keeping because if I did that I would eat the lot!!! Often never got to freezer!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One of the things that I have noted is that you are escalating up with your blood levels as the day progresses. This may be portion size. Try to reduce your plate size. Try and reduce your drinks and eat only after between 4 or 5 hours. Stop snacking.
If your testing is every two hours doesn't mean that you can have a snack. Only snack if you are lowish Sorry if you feel I'm harsh. But I had to eat 6 meals a day and only the size of my meal prevented me from putting on weight or my bloods going hyper!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree. Don't snack. Metformin is an appetite suppressant and I never felt the need to snack when I was on it. The snacks, if you are having them, are probably out of habit.

I know it's a lot to take in and you're getting it from all sides, but it will be worth it :)

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
thank you. yes my portion sizes are big

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a mobile phone then I would recommend downloading the myfitnesspal app. You input your details and then decide how much weight you wish to lose, say 1lb per week. The app will calculate your calorie allowance. It will "set off" any exercise you do against this. So, if your allowance is 1700 calories and you burn 250 calories, then you can have 1950 calories and (in theory) still lose that 1lb you calculated for. Be realistic with your goals.

Walking is cheap! My daughter spends £34 a month on gym membership, I prefer footpath membership ;-). Exercise is a key factor. If you have difficulty just do 10-20 minutes a day, split it if you want. If it rains, take a brolly or do steps on the stairs (short bursts but several times in the day).

If it's too hot, walk in the evening or early morning. I walk alone and it's good thinking time. I started with 20 minutes three times a week and now I do 40-50 minutes each day. You may feel better walking with a friend some days.

The walking will help BG. So will myfitnesspal because it will tell you how many carbs in the foods you plan to eat. It has a huge database so almost anything you eat from whichever place you buy, is on there.

Also download mapmywalk. It will tell you how far you've walked, the split times as you walk and it calculates the calories. At the end of the walk save it and it will sync with myfitnesspal and record the calories burned. I walk in the evening but if you did it in the morning you would know for sure you had those added calories to eat if you wished.

If you feel hungry, tell your body to stop teasing you and then drink a large glass of water or do some exercises.

Join your local freecycle. You may be able to pick up an exercise bike. It's free. You can cycle and watch tv!

I would never have thought I would ever keep a food diary because I'm not that organised but since using myfitnesspal I've never looked back.

You will need to decide how many g of carbs to limit yourself to each day/meal. I'm not able to advise you on that but someone else might.

:)

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Half way there, just try and eat little and often. Try and do things to occupy yourself between meals. Convince yourself that you need a smaller plate out of the cupboard. What worked for me was a tea plate say 6inches round instead of a ten inch plate. And no seconds!!!!!
Give it time and when you go shopping only buy the foods that you are ok with and lose the treats. If they are not there you can't eat them!
Don't give up!

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you have a mobile phone then I would recommend downloading the myfitnesspal app. You input your details and then decide how much weight you wish to lose, say 1lb per week. The app will calculate your calorie allowance. It will "set off" any exercise you do against this. So, if your allowance is 1700 calories and you burn 250 calories, then you can have 1950 calories and (in theory) still lose that 1lb you calculated for. Be realistic with your goals.

Walking is cheap! My daughter spends £34 a month on gym membership, I prefer footpath membership ;-). Exercise is a key factor. If you have difficulty just do 10-20 minutes a day, split it if you want. If it rains, take a brolly or do steps on the stairs (short bursts but several times in the day).

If it's too hot, walk in the evening or early morning. I walk alone and it's good thinking time. I started with 20 minutes three times a week and now I do 40-50 minutes each day. You may feel better walking with a friend some days.

The walking will help BG. So will myfitnesspal because it will tell you how many carbs in the foods you plan to eat. It has a huge database so almost anything you eat from whichever place you buy, is on there.

Also download mapmywalk. It will tell you how far you've walked, the split times as you walk and it calculates the calories. At the end of the walk save it and it will sync with myfitnesspal and record the calories burned. I walk in the evening but if you did it in the morning you would know for sure you had those added calories to eat if you wished.

If you feel hungry, tell your body to stop teasing you and then drink a large glass of water or do some exercises.

Join your local freecycle. You may be able to pick up an exercise bike. It's free. You can cycle and watch tv!

I would never have thought I would ever keep a food diary because I'm not that organised but since using myfitnesspal I've never looked back.

You will need to decide how many g of carbs to limit yourself to each day/meal. I'm not able to advise you on that but someone else might.

:)

I walk a lot as well. My dog needs a walk at least once a day and after a while you won't notice how much you've inadvertently exercised.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Don't know where my post has gone?

Help!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It looked like a certain resemblance to a sentence in the English language that was admittedly failing to help someone!:banghead:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ally1 - myfitnesspal is also available via their website at: http://www.myfitnesspal.com. I have to say I'm a fan. Yes, it's a bit of a pain to start with, as you need to get your foods in there, but once you have the things you eat regularly, it takes moments to update it. From the website you can run reports, like your food diary, and search on foods too. So, if you have a shocking or unexpected blood score you can search back and find when you last ate the same meal, then confirm the blood reading you had then to see if that food is a no-no.

It's all a puzzle that takes a short while to get started.

But don't be discouraged. It's worth it in the end, to make sense of some of what's going on, and I'd be sure you will feel better, both physically, and in yourself, as you gain more control.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Ally, I've browsed through the comments since I was here a couple of days ago. Just a few points which may help.

On portion sizes a little thing which helped me in my weight loss phase was to change from a dinner plate to a 'bread and butter' plate for most of my meals. I'm not sure what you call the smaller plate over there; it is about 6" or 15cm diameter. If the meal didn't fit on the plate - it was too darn much to eat. The other simple trick was to halve all my portion sizes at first.

Later, when I started using my meter to find out what my meals did to me, I found I could increase the non-starchy veges and meats again, but not the carbs. I still use the smaller plate a decade later for breakfasts and lunches and often for dinner.

Once you start cutting back on those carbs and stop worrying about the fats so much your satiety also improves and hunger decreases.

I noticed comments on home cooking versus eating out or packaged foods. I urge you to invest in a cheap small freezer and, if possible, a microwave. It is an investment which will immediately improve your menu and eventually save you a lot of money. Then read this: Cooking as a Survival Skill

Finally, test hourly if you have enough strips, but sticking to one and two hours after meals will probably achieve the same results.