Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
Hi,

I am finding it a struggle to work out how much insulin I need to take when i am eating protein.

Today is a bit of a dodgy day, i'm not sure quite what's going on in there.

Found that my BG has slowly risen since i've gotten up today, have eaten a couple of sticks of cheese and some pre-cooked crispy bacon strips with some cream cheese........didnt have much time for anything else, the cream cheese is fairly low in carbs, 2.8g per 100g.

BG has been 8.2 (had pasta last night), 8.7 (after walking to work),9.7 (after 3 sticks of cheese), 11.3 (after bacon and cream cheese).

Any advice would be great.

thanks,

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its probably better getting advice from one who actually boluses for protein, but I suppose testing each different types of protein you regularly eat would be the best plan of attack to determine its effect on your BG......

have you considered a basal test.....?

also, in the morning time, most folk will experience the dawn phenomenon, and its effects can sometimes last well into the morning..........filling your stomach can stop the glucose from the liver but some other insulin resisting hormones may still be swimming about......

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella

i think a Basal Test would do me good not sure im getting everything right. it's driving me mad.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't count protein thank god, and I do know some people do, but I would be trying everything in the book in an attempt to avoid bolusing for protein..........it just adds an additional angle of frustration......:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Protein in the absence of carbs converts to glucose by around 50%, really the only way round eating such meals and bolusing is to incorporate a split-dose, meaning you take a small amount upfront and the rest 2-3 hours after to counteract the slow digestion of the protein and fat.

SamJB & Robert72 are two low-carbers who are more experienced on dealing with such meals, hopefully they'll see your post and advise.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The T1's may need a more info to help, do you mean having the bolus work right for a pizza ...the diabetic pizza effect..where the bolus is split
Or
Do you mean bolus for 100% carbs and 10% of fat and 40% of protein in a single bolus injection...type of thing
Someone here told me the name for this, but I've forgotten
But as novo said, start with a basal test seems the common advice and then do bolus

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The T1's may need a more info to help, do you mean having the bolus work right for a pizza ...the diabetic pizza effect..where the bolus is split
Or
Do you mean bolus for 100% carbs and 10% of fat and 40% of protein in a single bolus injection...type of thing
Someone here told me the name for this, but I've forgotten
But as novo said, start with a basal test seems the common advice and then do bolus

Jack, the OP is talking about her breakfast of cheese,crispy bacon and cream cheese, she says so in her opening post.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The last bit was about the pizza in her post, and the pizza effect still applies at breakfast, but thank you

Oh and TAG (total available glucose) is the single bolus for carb/fat/protein ratio i was trying to think of

Last edited by a moderator:

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I have been finding this difficult as well. I have been bolusing for protein and carbs but not fat.

My sensitivity to protein changes, but possibly because I vary the amount of carbs in each meal.
Breakfast 20 g, lunch 10 or less, dinner 10 to 20. Regarding carbs.
I did wonder whether gluconeogenesis (protein conversion to glucose in the liver) provides the carbs you need during the adaption phase of lchf, up to the point when you are ketone adapted?
That might mean that you need to cover protein with insulin only during the say three or so weeks of adaption ? ie while protein is being used to keep your brain going before it switches to using ketones...
I started to think about this because I suddenly started getting lower BG after meals, so have now reduced boluses a lot (less for protein in effect). Perhaps I have adapted more to ketosis, and don't need protein boluses as much now.
Another thought I had was that perhaps I am overdoing the protein...
I wonder what other T1s do for bolusing during adaption and once in full ketosis?
I would really appreciate some guidane because, I am outside my old comfort zone.

I hope you don't think I am hijacking your thread, I thought that my question was very similar to yours, but if you would like, I can delete this and start a new post

Thanks for all the help.