Yoghurt - share your favourite low carb ways of having yours

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
I've never been much of a yoghurt fan, and becoming diabetic has meant giving up the few (sugar-laden) ones that I did like. So now I'm on a mission to make Greek yoghurt/other low carb yoghurts my friend.

From reading other threads on the forum, I've come across suggestions here and there for ways to eat it, but I have trouble finding the threads agin. It would be great if everyone could share what they put in/on their yoghurt to make it a fantastic low carb breakfast, snack or dessert.

Are there low carb flavourings we can mix in to make them taste more interesting?
Do you have any quick & easy suggestions that you could easily make up when out of the house and in need of a snack?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat my Greek yogurt with a few berries thrown in. At the moment it's chopped up strawberries, but other times raspberries or blueberries. I have it for breakfast.

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

I cook frozen berries with some sweetner and put it in little one portion size plastic pots and freeze them. I have also just done this with some blackberries I picked yesterday. I can then take one out as needed defrost it in the microwave and have it with Greek yogurt usually for my dessert I don't like it for breakfast.

Mushroom

Total full fat Greek yogurt with Tesco de-frosted blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Plenty of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cocoa nibs and a few (illegal - packed full of sugar) Maraschino cherries. Yummy and crunchy!

[REDACTED]

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
[REDACTED]
I just love yogurt, and its always low fat 500mg at a time sometimes twice aday. ;)

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Would love some really high fat 10% or more yoghurt like Turkish or Russian.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Total Greek 0% is only .2g/100g higher in sugar than the full fat version so I have that as I don't like full fat dairy- it has a strange mouth feel to me - weird I know. I like mine with a few sliced strawbs with sprinkle of flaxseed stirred in. There's one with cocoa in it which isn't too high carb and I only have 1dessert spoonful but it adds a bit of texture to it.

[REDACTED]

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
[REDACTED]
.......and probably NOT so full of sugar (0.5%) I think that is acceptable.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Plain Low or Full fat with a Sugar free (Carb Free) Jelly stirred in,
Blackcurrant, cherry, strawberry all good, adjust amount of jelly to taste as some are a bit to sweet.
I sometimes add, Flax Seed or Coconut or Wheat/Oat Husks for Fibre if you like it "Lumpy"
Works for me.
Total carbs round 6g/100

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I don't touch the fridge at work as it is minging (who keeps live fishing bait in a work's fridge fgs?) so I put frozen berries in tupperware with Greek yogurt and keep it under my desk. By lunchtime, the berries have defrosted and I have pink yogurt.

Reactions: 10 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I think "fage" total yogurt with mixed berries is awesome

People still didnt get the message about low fat yet huh :hilarious:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I don't touch the fridge at work as it is minging (who keeps live fishing bait in a work's fridge fgs?) so I put frozen berries in tupperware with Greek yogurt and keep it under my desk. By lunchtime, the berries have defrosted and I have pink yogurt.

we have dead mice for the snake in the freezer lol... no idea how i got away with that

Reactions: 7 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think "fage" total yogurt with mixed berries is awesome

People still didnt get the message about low fat yet huh :hilarious:

I don't eat ****** high sugar low fat yogurts but having checked the difference between the 0% and the full fat versions of Total I'm not sweating over .2g per 100g difference when I just don't like full fat yogurt. I'll happily eat full fat cheese, bacon etc but have never liked full fat milk, yogurt . Bit rubbish as until last year we were dairy farmers and I must have been the only farmer's wife with UHT skimmed milk in her trolley. Now I drink lactofree.

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I don't eat ****** high sugar low fat yogurts but having checked the difference between the 0% and the full fat versions of Total I'm not sweating over .2g per 100g difference when I just don't like full fat yogurt. I'll happily eat full fat cheese, bacon etc but have never liked full fat milk, yogurt . Bit rubbish as until last year we were dairy farmers and I must have been the only farmer's wife with UHT skimmed milk in her trolley. Now I drink lactofree.

sorry, my response wasnt meant for you :)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry, my response wasnt meant for you :)

No worries. It's usually the better quality products that don't have much difference. I have had to start buying Yeo valley half fat creme Fraiche for me as the Asda own brand one is only low fat because they've taken fat out and bungee tapioca starch in! It pays to read labels. Now all this talk of yogurt and berries is making me want a pudding.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hehe the forum makes us fat, all this talk about food often makes me hungry lol

Reactions: 3 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
cinnamon and blueberries or frozen berries

with fresh strawberries or raspberries

or mixed seeds

or grated dark chocolate :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
This morning I had mine with blueberries cashew nuts a wee squidge of strawberry jam a smaller squidge of honey and three jelly babies chopped up very small ... I know I know but but but ... my granddaughter had left three behind and and and .... It was delish!

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Wow, some fantastic ideas! It's making me more enthusiastic about eating yoghurt now :) I especially like the suggestions of grated dark chocolate, and the cinnamon. Wonder if adding some ginger in with the chocolate would be good? I need to experiment!