Worried about Breakfast Post prandial (1 hr)

asante_za

I am trying to avoid BG spikes as my last HBA1c was not good. My fasting BG as shown below is acceptable to me. However, I am deeply concerned about about my breakfast post prandial (1 hr) figures. My lunch and dinner post prandial figures are quite good. I take 1 tab a day of 500mg glucophage XR wth my breakfast. I will greatly appreciate your advice or suggestions as I don't have access to a medical expert for advice except by appointment with my GP. My most recent recordings are as below:

mmol/L Date Time Prandial
4.9 08/03/2009 08:14 AM Fasting
8.3 08/03/2009 09:24 AM Post B/Fast (1 hr)
6 08/03/2009 10:41 AM Post B/Fast (2 hr)
4.8 09/03/2009 12:06 PM Pre Lunch
5.1 12/03/2009 06:43 AM Fasting
5.3 14/03/2009 07:39 AM Fasting
8.2 14/03/2009 09:10 AM Post B/Fast (1 hr)
4.4 14/03/2009 10:32 AM Post B/Fast (2 hr)
4.7 14/03/2009 03:59 PM Post Lunch (2 hr)
4.6 15/03/2009 07:05 AM Fasting
8.1 15/03/2009 09:28 AM Post B/Fast (1 hr)
5.2 15/03/2009 11:07 AM Post B/Fast (2 hr)

Thanx
James

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
what is it you are eating at breakfast and we may be better able to advise :D

martinbuchan

If your profile reflects your long term control, well , its very good. If yur A1C is high, it must be a problem with the rest of the day. If your largest meal is in the evening- concentrate your testing on that meal. I think your profile is execellent after breakfast.

The rest if the forum will advise on exercise, low carbing etc.

asante_za

My breakfast consists of one biscuit of Weet-Bix (toasted whole wheat biscuits) with fat free milk, one boiled egg and one green apple. My lunch and dinner post prandial (1 hr) never go beyond 7 since I started watching what I eat after my last HBA1c which was 7.6. Is the 8.1 pp (1 hr) good?
What else can I cut from my breakfast?

James

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The one hour spike is probably your weetabix. You could try substituting something protein instead.Have you time to make bacon and egg in the morning for instance.Having said that,as Martin said your levels are good anyway. Try testing before and after your main meal of the day and note down what you ate and the levels one hour and two hours after.If there is a heavy fat content you may also need a three hour test as well.

Trinkwasser

Agreed, many of are at our most carb sensitive in the morning, I can only handle about 15g carbs and that's a lot more than some people. Also I'm particularly bad with wheat but I can do oatcakes.

Your other numbers are excellent so I'd be looking at things like fish and salad (my usual menu) or other things from here

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/ ... fasts.html

My best balance is high protein, moderate fat and low carb for that time of day.

martinbuchan

I still would not call these morning post prandial spikes a problem. You have good morning control. Your A1c rise is related to another part of the day.

Good luck.

SilverAndEbony

I thought we were supposed to test 2 hours after eating for a prandial test.
Maybe I've got it wrong? Or there is another reason for testing 1 hr after a meal?
I'm not an obsessive tester - I check to see if there's a big problem basically, not to check how my body reacts to different food. So I test 2-3 times a week unless there's a problem. High levels in my case, so it was a trip to the DN for me the only time that's happened.

I'm Type 2, controlled by diet, exercise (well, supposedly! knackered knee permitting) and metformin.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi S&E,

There are many people who like to test at one hour after eating, because that is generally the point where post-prandial BS levels are highest. If you want to find out what effect a particular meal has had then this is the best way to do it. I wouldn't describe people who want to remain in control over their blood sugar levels as obsessive, any more than I would describe those who don't test and then have to see their GP because they have eaten themselves into a state of hyperglycemia as a waste of NHS resources!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Those numbers are good.
the only problem I can see is the weetabix. It would be far too high in carbs for me, but you might consider trying Oatibix instead and see what happens. It's nicer anyway. And why worry about low fat milk. The fat never hurt anyone.
If oatibix doesn't put you where you want to be, then it's scrambled eggs or Fergus's bread toast, or bacon, or kippers, or cheese, or any protein food you like. You could go all American and have steak. If you want it and have time.

SilverAndEbony

Hi Dennis,

To be blunt, as you usually are, I have to say that type 2s, with good glucose control, testing blood many times a day seems VERY obsessive to me.
That's the basic difference between us, I suppose. I don't need to analyse everything I eat in minute detail. But does that mean I'm going to eat tons of sugars, or whatever, and send my BG level through the roof. Thanks for your put-down though. And yes, I do feel you look down at me, and presumably everyone who doesn't believe what you believe too. We had a thread about how easy it is to feel put-down on forums. This, for me is one of those occasions. As I have said before, that may not be your intention, but that's how you make me feel. Just like when the lovely girls in my school 'made fun' at me and the other girls.
I suppose at the end of the day, I should not visit this forum again. It's too judgemental for me. I want to know more about how to look after myself, and I don't need to be made to feel bad. If I want to ask about low-carbing, I will. But not on here.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Dennis said:
Hi S&E,

There are many people who like to test at one hour after eating, because that is generally the point where post-prandial BS levels are highest. If you want to find out what effect a particular meal has had then this is the best way to do it. I wouldn't describe people who want to remain in control over their blood sugar levels as obsessive, any more than I would describe those who don't test and then have to see their GP because they have eaten themselves into a state of hyperglycemia as a waste of NHS resources!

Hi S&E I really don't see Dennis's post as getting at you or anyone else.I test one hourly as well after certain meals to find spikes and try and fine tune my diet.It is not obsessive just trying to get better control that's all.

martinbuchan

IMHO, Dennis' post is fine. I test regularily to see what my insulin dosing is like. I test a lot more as I have recently added exenatide into the mix. I have drastically reduced my short acting insulin by about 40%.

As a type 2, it is a process of defining which foods cause big BS highs, in other words, what your own personal glycaemic index is for variuos foods. For me, brown bread and pasta are a no no, but I am great with wholemeal bread.

Dennis is a great influence on this site and not at all aggressive {until he needs to be}.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You'll need to spend a lot of time on this or any other form before you find someone as well informed, well intentioned and well mannered as Dennis.

fergus

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ill second that. Dennis is the main man !!!

Ken

Fenster

Hi

Sometimes when going thru this life I meet someone very special and I think to myself, if I don’t get on well with this person, it will be my fault. Dennis (aka the headmaster) is one of those people.

Keep up the great work and thanks for your help and guidance over the last year.

Fenster

C

catherinecherub

I may be wrong, this is how I see it.

Dennis does excellent work for this forum and is very knowledgable. He is a no frills man, direct and to the point.
I think the problem has arisen because although Dennis's statement was a generalization about having good control or not, it was taken personally. I do not think that it was Dennis's intention to accuse Silverand Ebony of having a lax attitude towards her control but that is how it was perceived, as a direct attack.
Forums are great but it is how we interpret a post that sometimes causes confusion and upset.
Keep up the good work Dennis and to SilverandEbony I would say, "Come back and join us, no one wants you to leave over a misunderstanding, we are all in this together".

Catherine.

Aadrgon

Hi

just following on from Catherines post
SilverandEbony - this is a really good site for people with diabetes and the people on here try to be as helpful as possible. As you yourself ( I think ) said in another thread it is difficult to judge how things are meant to be taken when read rather than talking to someone face to face.
Don't let a misunderstanding drive you away from this site. It would be everyones loss

Trinkwasser

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/ ... -hour.html

At the end of the day, for a Type 2 BG readings are only one part of the equation. High but brief BG spikes such as are missed on 2 hour tests still have consequences. They may be too brief to glycate the blood and show on the A1c but are responsible for microvascular damage and also knock on into the lipids which are a major factor in cardiovascular disease and other consequences
via the amount of insulin required to deal with them.

If you don't look for something you have no way of knowing whether it's there or not