Low carb question

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would suspect that your Levemir is tailing off in the afternoon/evening - it only really lasts about 18 hours and most people take a split dose. Would be worth talking to your DSN about this.

Thank you. I thought that might be the problem but didn't really want to say to my dsn because I feel like as I'm so newly diagnosed I don't really know what I'm talking about. Will ring the dsn in the morning and see if I can split it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi - I would most definately recommend low carb to any type 1 for many reasons...

As said earlier - less margin for error with calculating insulin doses, therefore less hypos.

Great for weight loss - I have low carbed for almost a year now, although not overweight to start with I am a consistent weight now and have lost over 7lbs, I am bang on my BMI. With losing the weight I also take less insulin and apart from PMT I don't have huge issues with being insulin resistant. My consultant also praised me on my last hospital visit as i've bought my HbA1c down too and instead of seeing me twice a year I am back on annual visits.

I have the potential for less complications with type 1 for future years - fluctuating sugar levels can cause new nerves to grow and therefore potential for retinopathy issues etc.. Had an eye test done recently and no damage detected in my eyes (huge relief).

I don't suffer so much from depression or anxiety now due to stablised BG readings, before I went low carb and ate a normal diet I was constantly yo yo-ing causing me to get down alot, I am now more level headed, less blurry vision issues and don't feel so knackered in the afternoon.

I also believe by getting rid of pasta, sugar, wheat, bread etc, potatoes, rice that I much more healthier and have had people saying how much better I look.

Believe me going low carb isnt for everyone, it takes some getting used to, but the benefits certainly outweigh the negatives of being type 1, I still have the odd choc (but not the box !), a glass of red or 2, a spoon of rice with my curry and make some great pudding alternatives with agave nectar instead of sugar or banana bread with gluten free flour. I eat full fat cheese but not loads, I eat lots of cauliflower, leafy greens and salads, fish and protein and eating out I have a steak, salad and some chips so doesn't impact. Once you eat low carb you also lose sugar cravings and you are more aware of what you are eating so cook more fresh food and no processed, tinned stuff that are loaded with sugar.

My favourite saying is - Fat's my friend and sugar's my enemy !!

Dr Bernstein (type 1 doctor) recommends low carb in his book which is where I became inspired as I have a young daughter and want to live a long healthy life and this really is the only way I know how, I also feel so much more in control of my diabetes now and for me that really is a huge motivation to continue this way.

Marfmama

I am 7 stone ish too and have started kow carbing the past few days and feel so much better for it - I eat a lot of cheese!! Nuts are good too.
Before I started this my sugars were frequently in the teens and I was always tired, I have had loads more energy since I cut rhe carbs and today my sugars were between 3.3 and 8.8, im chuffed!

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite interested in this one, as I think I may have been inadvertently low carbing all my diabetic life pretty much as I am generally on 140g a day excluding any extras for hypos or snacks if my sugar is dipping or I'm exercising - no one ever said that wasn't very much!

I have been diabetic sooooo long that I think the sweet stuff craving has mostly gone, though when we are out if there are puddings I will have a mouthful or small part of one of my kids or my husbands, or I order one and they get to eat the rest of mine…so I do limit that sweet stuff, 'cos at the end of the day I know in theory you 'can eat what you want, just adjust the insulin for it' however our manufactured insulin is no where near as good as the stuff that naturally floats around peoples bodies sorting out their sugar levels instantly….and so it is hard for it to match our peaks in blood sugar levels and it takes longer to exit our system - causing the highs and lows that we all experience (it is no where near as good - like comparing a masserati to a micra!) - so less highs hopefully corresponds with less lows and a more stable blood sugar. I also have some days on my cgm where my graph is pretty flat…and then most of the others when I am on a little roller coaster …and I'm not eating that differently, certainly the carbs are the same - so there are other things at play in our bodies too. Being on CGM has proven to me that looking at the glycemic index is important (as well as carb counting) and low gi foods or food combinations with stuff that digests slowly is also important in trying to keep it all a bit flatter

Aside from all that well done Marfmama :) cracking day :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you. I thought that might be the problem but didn't really want to say to my dsn because I feel like as I'm so newly diagnosed I don't really know what I'm talking about. Will ring the dsn in the morning and see if I can split it.quote]

Robert72 is right about levemir only lasting 18 hours and you should look at splitting the dose to get a better coverage, if split dosing is going to be problematic ask you DSN about trying lantus, lantus in most people gives a good 24 hour coverage.

As for low-carbing, why not give it a go and see how you get on, if it isn't for you then you can always revert back Rosie.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mum has just told me that cutting out all carbs is bad - no carbs and no insulin could lead to ketosis? Im confused now, so low carb good, no carb bad?

You still need insulin on a low carb diet, just not so much. If you go low enough to get into ketosis this is OK as long as you have enough insulin. If not taking enough insulin, there's a risk you could go into ketoacidosis

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My mum has just told me that cutting out all carbs is bad - no carbs and no insulin could lead to ketosis? Im confused now, so low carb good, no carb bad?

You wouldn't be cutting out your insulin, you would still need your basal insulin and you still need to bolus for low-carb meals, if you low-carb below 30g a day then it's likely that you will be in dietary ketosis.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I would agree with your mum in your circumstances. At 7 stone having no or very limited carbs would lead to a a ketotic state, (different from ketoacidosis, a very serious condition where body is not receiving enough insulin, by no csrbs and no insulin and type 1 this would likely happen). With you being 7 stone the ketones wouldn't have alot of fat to burn so could cause other complications for you. You need some carbs, enough for your body to use and maintain your weight and adjust your insulin to cope with the reduced carb intake to keep levels in check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I would most definately recommend low carb to any type 1 for many reasons...

As said earlier - less margin for error with calculating insulin doses, therefore less hypos.

Great for weight loss - I have low carbed for almost a year now, although not overweight to start with I am a consistent weight now and have lost over 7lbs, I am bang on my BMI. With losing the weight I also take less insulin and apart from PMT I don't have huge issues with being insulin resistant. My consultant also praised me on my last hospital visit as i've bought my HbA1c down too and instead of seeing me twice a year I am back on annual visits.

I have the potential for less complications with type 1 for future years - fluctuating sugar levels can cause new nerves to grow and therefore potential for retinopathy issues etc.. Had an eye test done recently and no damage detected in my eyes (huge relief).

I don't suffer so much from depression or anxiety now due to stablised BG readings, before I went low carb and ate a normal diet I was constantly yo yo-ing causing me to get down alot, I am now more level headed, less blurry vision issues and don't feel so knackered in the afternoon.

I also believe by getting rid of pasta, sugar, wheat, bread etc, potatoes, rice that I much more healthier and have had people saying how much better I look.

Believe me going low carb isnt for everyone, it takes some getting used to, but the benefits certainly outweigh the negatives of being type 1, I still have the odd choc (but not the box !), a glass of red or 2, a spoon of rice with my curry and make some great pudding alternatives with agave nectar instead of sugar or banana bread with gluten free flour. I eat full fat cheese but not loads, I eat lots of cauliflower, leafy greens and salads, fish and protein and eating out I have a steak, salad and some chips so doesn't impact. Once you eat low carb you also lose sugar cravings and you are more aware of what you are eating so cook more fresh food and no processed, tinned stuff that are loaded with sugar.

My favourite saying is - Fat's my friend and sugar's my enemy !!

Dr Bernstein (type 1 doctor) recommends low carb in his book which is where I became inspired as I have a young daughter and want to live a long healthy life and this really is the only way I know how, I also feel so much more in control of my diabetes now and for me that really is a huge motivation to continue this way.
Thanks for the detailed response, I definitely want to give this a go now and hope I can do well on it. Being more in control is what is motivating me too.

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 7 stone ish too and have started kow carbing the past few days and feel so much better for it - I eat a lot of cheese!! Nuts are good too.
Before I started this my sugars were frequently in the teens and I was always tired, I have had loads more energy since I cut rhe carbs and today my sugars were between 3.3 and 8.8, im chuffed!

Wow you seem to be doing really well after just a few days. How much carbs do you eat a day? I'm hoping to get my sugars in pretty much the same range as yours are in but also maintain my weight so hope it works :)

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite interested in this one, as I think I may have been inadvertently low carbing all my diabetic life pretty much as I am generally on 140g a day excluding any extras for hypos or snacks if my sugar is dipping or I'm exercising - no one ever said that wasn't very much!

I have been diabetic sooooo long that I think the sweet stuff craving has mostly gone, though when we are out if there are puddings I will have a mouthful or small part of one of my kids or my husbands, or I order one and they get to eat the rest of mine…so I do limit that sweet stuff, 'cos at the end of the day I know in theory you 'can eat what you want, just adjust the insulin for it' however our manufactured insulin is no where near as good as the stuff that naturally floats around peoples bodies sorting out their sugar levels instantly….and so it is hard for it to match our peaks in blood sugar levels and it takes longer to exit our system - causing the highs and lows that we all experience (it is no where near as good - like comparing a masserati to a micra!) - so less highs hopefully corresponds with less lows and a more stable blood sugar. I also have some days on my cgm where my graph is pretty flat…and then most of the others when I am on a little roller coaster …and I'm not eating that differently, certainly the carbs are the same - so there are other things at play in our bodies too. Being on CGM has proven to me that looking at the glycemic index is important (as well as carb counting) and low gi foods or food combinations with stuff that digests slowly is also important in trying to keep it all a bit flatter

Aside from all that well done Marfmama :) cracking day :)

Your thoughts about manufactured insulin echo what I've been thinking. I've been worrying that even if I inject for everything surely everything can't be good/okay for me because, as you said, manufactured insulin just isn't as good as the real stuff.

I have no idea about low gi foods or digestion times and stuff. I feel like there's so much about food i need to learn!

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Robert72 is right about levemir only lasting 18 hours and you should look at splitting the dose to get a better coverage, if split dosing is going to be problematic ask you DSN about trying lantus, lantus in most people gives a good 24 hour coverage.

As for low-carbing, why not give it a go and see how you get on, if it isn't for you then you can always revert back Rosie.

Thanks for the advice, will definitely call dsn to ask about splitting levemir.

Yeah I think I will give it a go and see what happens, got nothing to lose really

sheil19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone's different and do what works best for you. There's nothing wrong with low carb diets nor is there anything wrong with high carb diets. Personally I've a high carb diet but I exercise every day and sometimes twice daily and then during season have games at the weekend. My control is very good but then I've met people that are on low carbs diets and their control is excellent!! Find out what's best for YOU.

Reactions: 2 people

taurusmmuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is a low carb diet beneficial for somebody with type 1?

Also, will following such a diet cause a person to lose weight?

I don't suppose anyone has a link to a good site where I can find some more information on the subject. Have had a google but not finding as much information, just recipes/foods and stuff.

I have been quite successful with the Eat To Live diet, it is a bit too extreme for most people but it can be moderated by anyone.
Here is a link to the book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=fuhrman eat to live&tag=googhydr-21&index=stripbooks&hvadid=32632878665&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17152435062729203988&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3qmsozku7w_b

at the very least it will give you some ideas.