Retinopathy and driving

NeetK28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
I am due to have pan retina laser surgery this evening and wanted to know from any of you whether having this treatment has affected your ability to drive as I'm aware it can reduce the peripheral vision?

It's really worrying me and would really appreciate any info you might have. Thank you

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes it can but to what extent depends on how many laser burns you receive and where the new blood vessel growth is in the eye. I've had laser treatment for retinopathy and although I have lost a little bit of peripheral vision it is no where near enough to stop me from driving, so much so that I don't have a problem getting issued with a 3 year driving licence.

As your new to the forum I'll post this link to a website that tells you just about everything you would want to know about diabetic retinopathy:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

Any more questions then just come back, good luck for tonight and hope the treatment is successful.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just one more thing although I expect they have told you this already, don't drive afterwards or several hours after until your vision returns to normal, also even though your getting the surgery tonight it's advisable to take some sunglasses with you for when you come out afterwards, looking at bright lights can become very uncomfortable post-surgery.

Reactions: 2 people

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I only got the notification from the site about this post today, I hope it went well for you last night; I had my laser done on the 18th of July (9-30am) which was quite close to the central part of the retina in the right eye and on the peripheral of the left, I know everyone is different but I managed to drive home that night about 12 hours later from my daughters who lives beside the hospital without any difficulty and apart from a few fading grey spots in my right eye which I don’t see unless I close my left eye and look at a piece of white paper it’s been fine, have to say I felt the same way before I had mine done but posted on here and the replies I received helped a lot.
Hope this helps

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased you've got it out of the way Malcolm, when are you due back for a follow-up?

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead
3 months so in about the middle of November, I need to go to the opticians before then for my regular eye test and I think I need to change the reading specs for a stronger pair, but yeah went great was a bit apprehensive like NeetK28 never having it done before or knowing anyone who had and not knowing what to expect and let’s face it everyone is a bit squeamish when come to have someone muck about with your eyes I mean I’ve never even had contact lenses before

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well fingers crosses for November, let's hope it was your first and last time that you need laser treatment, likewise with you Neetk28.

Reactions: 3 people