BG 9.1 where did I go wrong with my dinner tonight?

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I just tested 2 hours after my dinner and it's 9.1!!!!!!!!!!! That's my highest ever BG result since I've been testing. My first question is why did the BG meter stil have a smiley face when it's 9.1? It's a Wavesense Jazz. Surely 9.1 is bad right?

Second question where did I go wrong with my tea tonight?

I made meatballs in a tomato and chilli sauce.

Ingerdients:
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
Mushrooms
1 large onion
Garlic
Black Farmers Daughter Pork meatballs link to nutritional info: http://www.theblackfarmer.com/glute...daughter/the_black_farmers_daughter_meatballs
1 500g jar of Dolmio Tomato and Chilli Meatball sauce. Link to nutritional info: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=274024898S
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive Oil to cook

The meal was not served with anything else and portioned into 3. One to eat a dinner and I froze the other two. There were 12 meatballs in the pack so I put 4 in each portion.

I thought that was a fairly ok meal but I guess not! Where did I go wrong?

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you know what your reading was before the meal?

The more important figure is the increase pre to post meal, not post meal in isolation.

jim

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I had to pick something I'd say the Dolmio sauce- it's 7g carb per 100g and jar is 500g.. Bought sauces are really sugar laden so maybe best to make your own next time.

Reactions: 3 people

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I had to pick something I'd say the Dolmio sauce- it's 7g carb per 100g and jar is 500g.. Bought sauces are really sugar laden so maybe best to make your own next time.

that is 35g per jar and split 3 ways is only about 12g per meal. It could be the culprit but I wouldn't think so?

jim

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid your dolmio link didn't work - but I suspect that is your problem.

Most of those pre-made tomato pasta sauces are full of sugar (to take the acidity out of the tomatoes) and they can be thickened with various starches.

Don't worry!
It's all a learning curve.

For the other two meals, serve them with grated cheese on top and big portions of green veg, lightly cooked.

The cheese fat and veg fibre will slow down the digestion/absorption, which will help.

In addition, a wee trick I use is to eat the veg first, then the higher carb items later. This means the glucose doesn't hit the bloodstream so quickly.

Seriously, it's ok. We just learn from our lessons, adjust, and carry on. :)

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
It's very easy to make a decent sugar free starch free tom sauce.
Bung a tin of toms in a blender and blitz them ... then add your fave tasties ... even copying from a Dolmio label minus the ****.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought it would be ok split into 3. How come the meter gave a smiley face still at that level?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I thought it would be ok split into 3. How come the meter gave a smiley face still at that level?
It must be an evil smiley face.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Marie You need to check you meter manual for Jack's evil smiley face as the manufacturers often have quite high preset levels for OK/safe readings - on my first meter it was 10. They usually are there not to just warn you about highish readings but to indicate when you have actually reached a "danger level" and would need to take some safety action. You should hopefully be able to change these levels if you so wish.

Robbity

PS I sometimes find that canned tomato gives me highish readings, but if you get an unexpected reading, then wash your hands ad re-test.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Marie, did you re-test? We all get unexpected rogue readings at times from our meters. If that happens, do a re-test and see what happens. What was the actual rise, from before to 2hrs after? I agree it will have been the Dolmio, or a rogue test.

I can't eat tinned tomatoes at all, but can manage one large fresh cooked one or 6 to 8 cherry toms but no more.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what your reading was before the meal?

The more important figure is the increase pre to post meal, not post meal in isolation.

jim
I didn't take it before the meal but it was low this morning ad I had only eaten a yogurt for breakfast like normal and had a salad for lunch

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid your dolmio link didn't work - but I suspect that is your problem.

Most of those pre-made tomato pasta sauces are full of sugar (to take the acidity out of the tomatoes) and they can be thickened with various starches.

Don't worry!
It's all a learning curve.

For the other two meals, serve them with grated cheese on top and big portions of green veg, lightly cooked.

The cheese fat and veg fibre will slow down the digestion/absorption, which will help.

In addition, a wee trick I use is to eat the veg first, then the higher carb items later. This means the glucose doesn't hit the bloodstream so quickly.

Seriously, it's ok. We just learn from our lessons, adjust, and carry on. :)
Thanks for the tips. I was feeling a bit disheartened and fed up with it all earlier. I was going to just throw the other two out but I'll try what you suggested and see if that makes a difference.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Marie You need to check you meter manual for Jack's evil smiley face as the manufacturers often have quite high preset levels for OK/safe readings - on my first meter it was 10. They usually are there not to just warn you about highish readings but to indicate when you have actually reached a "danger level" and would need to take some safety action. You should hopefully be able to change these levels if you so wish.

Robbity

PS I sometimes find that canned tomato gives me highish readings, but if you get an unexpected reading, then wash your hands ad re-test.
Thanks I'll check the manual. I didn't think about re testing but will do if it's high again

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Marie, did you re-test? We all get unexpected rogue readings at times from our meters. If that happens, do a re-test and see what happens. What was the actual rise, from before to 2hrs after? I agree it will have been the Dolmio, or a rogue test.

I can't eat tinned tomatoes at all, but can manage one large fresh cooked one or 6 to 8 cherry toms but no more.
Thanks I didn't think of re testing. I should have done really. I suppose certain things set some people off and not others. Maybe tomatoes is my thing? I had 4 new potatoes the other week with gammon and veg and was fine.

I guess I really am diabetic then? I was hoping I wasn't. The thought of never having my big bags of crisps and sweets with a movie for a treat is gutting.

Some people say they're cured but does that mean they can eat normally again then?

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone, so sorry I posted and ran but I was busy sorting my mum out earlier. I'm her carer and she's been ill the past few days, had the ambulance out the other day then the doctor.

Does stress increase BG?

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It always pays to test before eating because without that reference point you really have no idea how much the meal has spiked you. I would test one of the other portions with tests before and after to double-check. If you had a light lunch and went more than 4 hours till dinner, you could easily have had a liver dump that pushed your BG up prior to eating again. It happens to me a lot.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I'm afraid stress does affect BG - a lot.

to really sure what the mechanism is, but adrenalin factors in, and we respond to stress with lots of fight-or-flight responses (adrenalin, and needing energy to deal with the emergency), then afterwards we usually slump, feel tired and want foods (often carbs) to rapidly replenish our BG and glucose reserves.

If it is grinding ongoing stress, then the BG can be raised for days or weeks, and sometimes our adrenal glands can get 'exhausted' where they just can't keep us on 'high alert' any longer. That is when we need some serious downtime - long lie ins, a holiday, maybe time off work. Gives the system time to recover.

How is your mum doing now?

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I just tested 2 hours after my dinner and it's 9.1!!!!!!!!!!! That's my highest ever BG result since I've been testing. My first question is why did the BG meter stil have a smiley face when it's 9.1? It's a Wavesense Jazz. Surely 9.1 is bad right?

Second question where did I go wrong with my tea tonight?

I made meatballs in a tomato and chilli sauce.

Ingerdients:
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
Mushrooms
1 large onion
Garlic
Black Farmers Daughter Pork meatballs link to nutritional info: http://www.theblackfarmer.com/glute...daughter/the_black_farmers_daughter_meatballs
1 500g jar of Dolmio Tomato and Chilli Meatball sauce. Link to nutritional info: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=274024898S
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive Oil to cook

The meal was not served with anything else and portioned into 3. One to eat a dinner and I froze the other two. There were 12 meatballs in the pack so I put 4 in each portion.

I thought that was a fairly ok meal but I guess not! Where did I go wrong?
The sauce was about 35gms and the onion and peppers add another 25 to 30 subject to size. People often forget to add the carbs from ostensibly low carb veges. The full recipe is probably about 66 to 75 gms, giving per serve of 22 to 25 gms carb. Not terribly high, but possibly too high for you at that time. Did you eat it without sides, or did you add rice, noodles or bread? What did you wash it down with?