Newly diagnosed at 34 and struggling to accept it

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The general rule is to avoid all tropical fruits, especially bananas, and stick to home grown ones, but the only way to find out is to test one! Up to now I have only eaten berries in small quantities. I was a big fruit eater, so eventually hope to try an apple and a pear.

Metformin is an appetite suppressant, so if you have a load of weight to shed and need help, then Metformin will help.

Reactions: 2 people

dsdurkes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with Type 1 at 36 years old. Kinda freaky, to be sure but once you get over the initial issues of insulin, etc., things actually work out quite nicely. You see, I am now 60 and healthier than I have ever been. Diabetes is not a death sentence as it once was and nowhere near other things (my sis died from MS). The crazy thing is diabetics can be, as a class, healthier than most as they pay attention to what they eat, see their docs regularly and exercise.

When I was diagnosed, I was in fact going blind - could no longer see the road signs. Started insulin and my energy level shot up, my vision restored itself and I started gaining weight (I was chronically underweight, so this is a good thing for me). Plus, I used to get pneumonia twice a year and I haven't had that in the past 24 years. As the doc explained, "Guess what bacteria like to eat and what you had a LOT of?". Yup, sugar.

You'll do fine but you will need to learn some things. Carbs are the thing you need to understand the most. White bread, simple sugars of all types. That doesn't mean you can't have them, just have to compensate for them appropriately.

You've got you dad to help you along the way - this is a great thing. Great luck.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
<snip>

Haha this is kind of exciting in a way, got to see it as a challenge right. :)
That's exactly how I'm seeing it. Luckily I love experimentation and figures and can afford a few test strips so I've been quite curious and intrigued by what happens if I eat, this, that or the other. Previous when I'd controlled my eating in some way it was to lose weight and the progress was so slow that I lost heart. But, now I'm eating to control my blood sugars and I can see a short term benefit in terms of the numbers displayed on my glucometer...it's spurring me along especially on the days I find it more challenging. I have a lot of weight to reduce (like 10+ stone) so I find I need those short term indicators that I'm making good progress.

Reactions: 5 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bluetit, interesting. Apples ok?
I had one yesterday and it only caused a small rise in my BG, definitely within safe levels. Can't guarantee you won't have any problems as we're all different and I'm (fingers crossed) "only" prediabetic.

Reactions: 4 people

TheDude80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow dsdurkes that is very inspiring to hear how well you've dealt with type 1! My biggest worry was that because I got it early, it would inevitably progress to the dreaded 'complications' phase but as you say, by forcing you to pay attention to what you eat, it can make you healthier than average! I certainly wouldn't be counting calories without this kick up the backside. Rose, how have you been coping with it in your 30s, you lose much weight since diagnosis? I work with a guy who has type 2 and I asked him if he avoids certain foods and he said "Nah, **** 'em"! Knowing what I know I can't believe his attitude, it just isn't worth the risk of the 'complications'... you have GOT to take it seriously.

Loobles, yeah I guess I could hope I'm 'pre-diabetic' too because when my levels returned to normal they did stay that way for a little while despite some pretty bad dietary choices. I'm expecting it to be back down in the 4s very soon, but then I am eating very little at the moment...

The last two days I've really been under even the extreme diet calorie count so as of tomorrow I need to make sure I'm getting enough. I'm just going to do the regular Atkins for a bit and see how that goes.

Bluetit thankyou for the information, I will avoid eating much fruit for sure! Maybe an apple here and there. Need to keep researching.

This morning I let myself drift into negative thinking again, but reading through the Newcastle Uni stuff always lifts my spirits. Apparently most people with diabetes don't manage to lose weight, like my work associate I guess it's because they aren't motivated enough. Awesome to hear dsdurkes that you were on your way to serious vision loss but managed to turn that around even with type 1! That is really great to read your post thanks a lot everyone.

And yeah, my dad is awesome for help but his mentality is to control it while I am still driving towards actually reversing it, but I guess in practical terms it amounts to very little difference in the short to medium term. It would be nice to go back to a normal-person's diet some day but even then I will NEVER go back to how I used to be! I was just totally reckless, if I couldn't sleep at night I'd get in the car and go to a 24 hour garage and grab a fizzy drink, crisps and donuts! So careless! lol Well those days are gone forever and I won't miss them one bit.

Reactions: 5 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sounds like we've both had an "awakening". I had a wreckless lifestyle too and I never want to go back to that. i've had a rough few days food wise but I know I'll get over this hurdle.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Wow dsdurkes that is very inspiring to hear how well you've dealt with type 1! My biggest worry was that because I got it early, it would inevitably progress to the dreaded 'complications' phase but as you say, by forcing you to pay attention to what you eat, it can make you healthier than average! I certainly wouldn't be counting calories without this kick up the backside. Rose, how have you been coping with it in your 30s, you lose much weight since diagnosis? I work with a guy who has type 2 and I asked him if he avoids certain foods and he said "Nah, **** 'em"! Knowing what I know I can't believe his attitude, it just isn't worth the risk of the 'complications'... you have GOT to take it seriously.

Loobles, yeah I guess I could hope I'm 'pre-diabetic' too because when my levels returned to normal they did stay that way for a little while despite some pretty bad dietary choices. I'm expecting it to be back down in the 4s very soon, but then I am eating very little at the moment...

The last two days I've really been under even the extreme diet calorie count so as of tomorrow I need to make sure I'm getting enough. I'm just going to do the regular Atkins for a bit and see how that goes.

Bluetit thankyou for the information, I will avoid eating much fruit for sure! Maybe an apple here and there. Need to keep researching.

This morning I let myself drift into negative thinking again, but reading through the Newcastle Uni stuff always lifts my spirits. Apparently most people with diabetes don't manage to lose weight, like my work associate I guess it's because they aren't motivated enough. Awesome to hear dsdurkes that you were on your way to serious vision loss but managed to turn that around even with type 1! That is really great to read your post thanks a lot everyone.

And yeah, my dad is awesome for help but his mentality is to control it while I am still driving towards actually reversing it, but I guess in practical terms it amounts to very little difference in the short to medium term. It would be nice to go back to a normal-person's diet some day but even then I will NEVER go back to how I used to be! I was just totally reckless, if I couldn't sleep at night I'd get in the car and go to a 24 hour garage and grab a fizzy drink, crisps and donuts! So careless! lol Well those days are gone forever and I won't miss them one bit.
Provided you are eating moderate food portions worry less about calories and more about carbohydrates. Dietary management of type 2 blood glucose levels is about carbohydrates, not calories.

Many new people find it difficult to accept that, because we have been brainwashed for too many years by misguided dieticians.

Test one hour after your meals and that will become dramatically obvious.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Hey Dude, lucky you,
You have received plenty of advice so that is good and my advice is always with a twist.

T2 gets worse with excess weight and the good news is the excess weight is reversible - and the twist is there is no rush, the slower the loss, the better your chances are of keeping it off.

No major carb eating will drop weight - and the twist is, you can make no major carbs into a fantastic food lifestyle. For example, I just made 12 orange lo-carb cup cakes with chocolate icing. Err the non T2 s just ate 4 of them so now there are 8.

Many years ago my GP (Doc) told me not to exercise just do interesting things with an exercise component - the twist is, he said, and he is right. that few people can keep up mindless exercise for decades/long term.

So take your time, set yourself up a fun lifestyle with great tasting food and interesting exercise options. I have made it to 71 with all my digits intact and no kidney problems and no eyesight problems.

I include a banana per day because I had low potassium - so you really should get some Doc supervision to make sure you do not end up with a deficiency.

Reactions: 4 people

TheDude80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the replies, just thought I'd post an update here. Don't want to clutter the forum but it helps me to keep track.

This morning my blood sugar was on 5.8 but then testing soon after had it on 7.2 so I don't know why it jumped so much but seems generally on the way down.

Which I should hope it is as I am still not eating a lot. Need to increase my calorie intake. Still want to lose the weight by going on a crash but am still under even the Newcastle suggestion.

Going to steam a couple of small blocks of coley fish portions with some steamed veg (brocoli, spinach, peas and sweetcorn, although I may take out the latter two as best I can as they are starchy?) and also some salad and celery. Will buy some avocado and tomatoes soon too.

I'm going over to see a friend on sunday and we're going to cook a diabetic meal together, which I'm looking forward to. Any recommendations for a couple of inexperienced and reluctant chefs much appreciated!

The thing is the Newcastle plan has 3 shakes a day plus the veg, whereas the Atkins is 2 shakes a day plus a meal, but it is 5 days on 2 days off. I half feel like having 3 shakes a day instead and not taking days off as I am an all-or-nothing type who isn't very sensible naturally (something I'm going to have to learn soon though!)

Drinking plenty of water and feeling pretty good. Occasional stabs of panic but then I have to remind myself that my levels are relatively low, and I have weight to lose and then see how my body is doing then. Been reading this guy's stuff as well, he's pretty inspiring, any thoughts welcome: http://www.cureddiabetes.com/thecure.html

Ok going to eat now and then go for another walk into town to do some shopping!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
One item caught my eye from that link in the list of 10 golden rules (my bold):

3. To avoid gluconeogenesis of protein - do not eat thinly sliced or old meat or cheap hamburgers. The worst possible meat is out of date mince (in date good quality mince is fine). The liver will take one look at that and say I am not going to build any body parts from this garbage - melt it down for sugar - its neoglucogenesis for you! Also eat the whole nut rather than nut butter (ideally). The more structure the protein has the less neoglucogenesis it will suffer.

This would suggest that sliced ham, bacon, salami etc could be problematic. Anyone more qualified than me want to comment on that?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I agree with Alan S that you should focus on carbs not calories. Although the Newcastle is good in the fact that it does reduce overall calories what they haven't quite accepted yet is that not all calories are equal and carb calories overall are more of a problem than fat calories. This is especially important for us diabetics where carbs increase blood sugar but fat hardly does at all hence the LCHF acronym although I don't subscribe to High Fat as such; have enough to satisfy your needs but don't drown in it.

Reactions: 3 people

TheDude80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The good thing about the Atkins is it is higher in fat but lower in carbs, so I'm really thinking of going up to 3 shakes a day because the little meal I'm having isn't much calories wise. I want to cut the calories generally in order to lose the weight because the idea of getting fat off my liver and pancreas is very appealing to me.