free prescriptions question

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
debbiem1 said:
oh my Longjohnsilver i am so glad that i did not read your post a year ago as you would have had me crying all over the place. a year on and i can say that even though i do not get any free stuff i am getting better each day with my diet and my levels are good. i have a great medical team that do all the regular test and i do not want any more medication that i take already to clutter up my cupboard. i just hope that what ever has upset you gets sorted it you are not happy with your medical care seek advice about it but for goodness sake don't come onto sites like this and write things just to frighten people.

and a question for you do you have diabetes or are you one of these people that just post nasty things on forums for the fun of it

Admin please delete if this is not acceptable but i was so shocked to read his comments that i had to say something

It happens Debbie, sometimes people get very bitter and upset and use a public forum to get it out of their system. Perhaps LJS wil come back and clarify what he is talking about..

Don't let it upset you. :)

debbiem1

thanks Ladybird64 and Defren I hope he does come back and clarify what he is talking about i have found reading these pages over the last year a great help i have not always agreed with things but have also found loads of good advice and even tell people i met that this is one place to find the information and support they need to come to terms with this illness.

newbaby20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my point about this is that if you are required to test your glucose levels etc then surely these strips and lancet things should be provided....for free :) otherwise how do you know what you are eating is right or not. other than this i am not a pill popper and work full time
I TOTALLY AGREE MY DIABETIC NURSE WAS A RIGHT ? IM 76YR OLD ON METEFORMIN SHE REFUSED TO HELP ME BY PRESCRIBING A MONITOR AND WHEN I SAID I NEED THE STRIPS AS I WANT TO MONITOR WHAT IM EATING IS RIGHT SHE SAID I AM NOT GIVING YOU THEM YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY THEM AND THEY ARE NEARLY £30??? SHE MADE ME SO UPSET THEN SAID YOU CAN HAVE THE MACHINE BUT YOUR STILL NOT GETTING THE STRIPS IM ON PENSION CREDIT AND JUST RECENTLY HAD TO HAVE MY METEFORMIN INCREASED I BLAME HER AS SHE PREVENTED ME FROM MONITERING MY B G LEVEL IM MOW ON 2000 NET A DAY??? UK

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m on 2 meds for diabetes and pay for prescriptions

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i,m on 2 meds for diabetes and pay for prescriptions

You shouldn't be doing, Ally. They are free for diabetics. I don't know the procedure as I am over 60 so get mine free anyway, but I rather think you need some sort of form from the surgery.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
thank you bluetip,
i,m on 8 different meds so it all adds up
is it just the diabetic meds that are free, or all meds free

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you bluetip,
When you get an exemption card all meds are free

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
where do i get an exemption form from?

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your gp should have sorted this before now and given you the form. But as normal there not doing their jobs. You should get one from gp's reception

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your gp should have sorted this before now and given you the form. But as normal there not doing their jobs. You should get one from gp's reception

Yes the dr should have given you a form to send off.
My DN gave me mine at our first meeting she said and I quote "the only good thing about all this is that you no longer have to pay for prescriptions "

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just looked up the current cost of NHS prescriptions £7.85.

Since I have a Codefree meter (cost me £13), and I can get 50 test strips, free p&p, for less than £7, then it would actually cost me more to pay for a prescription. On top of which, as a type 2, no meds, it would be incredible if my doctor gave me any strips at all, let alone the number I need to keep on top of my BG levels.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
brunneria, the prescriptions have gone up to £8.10 now
when i,m next at the surgery, i will ask for an exemption form
my gp and dn never mentioned it

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the truth about the NHS and about your GP's profit making business.
You won't be put onto the life saving pill that will prevent all of the bad things happening to you
that are going to happen. First you will start to loose the feeling in your limbs, then you will have
high blood pressure, then there will be a deterioration and you will be ill all of the time. Eventually they will hack
parts of your body off and your life will be over.
Sure your GP will pretend to care and invite you to be weighed and he might even offer you a diet sheet
containing none of the type of foods that working class people would eat.
But you won't get the Pill because then you would qualify for free prescriptions and at this point with your
blood pressure tablets, statins, creams, test strips, etc.... you will be plunging a lot of money into the NHS
so they really don't want you to be cured and they certainly don't want you to be given any free stuff.
I have had the condition for 30 years and have been refused the diabetic pill because they don't want me to benefit
from having free prescriptions. But there is light at the end of the tunnel, as soon as they hack a leg off or two, you won't
be able to work any more and then you will get Employment Support allowance = free prescriptions.

@longjohnsilver
What an unpleasant list of factually incorrect and scaremongering opinions.

I hope no one takes any of this as gospel, because it definitely isn't!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
brunneria, the prescriptions have gone up to £8.10 now
when i,m next at the surgery, i will ask for an exemption form
my gp and dn never mentioned it
Thanks Ally, I must have stumbled on an outdated webpage - sorry for the mis-information.

ricardoharrison

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rascism / Fascism / Negativity
You need a medical exemption form. Your docs practice will have these. Ask at reception doc will sign off send to address and you'll get the card in the post. All you need to do then is show pharmacy your card when you hand in a signed prescription for your meds.

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
thank you bluetip,
All medicine is free for diabetics in England